Stepping up to a .45. But which one?

This is a discussion on Stepping up to a .45. But which one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rent some first. Try a xd , Glock and some 1911 models. Most will feel different due to grip angle and barrel axis...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Stepping up to a .45. But which one?

Rent some first. Try a xd , Glock and some 1911 models. Most will feel different due to grip angle and barrel axis
    Secret_Storm likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I too am a female. I carry a S&W 1911 e series sc everyday. I love it. The 4.25 barrel is just right for easy draw
    and the rounded butt helps a lot on letting cloths fall over it with out catching. It has night sights that I also love at
    night while it rests on the night stand. Those little green dots look oh so nice glowing back at me.

Give it a look before you buy. It shoots like a dream. S&W 1911.JPG

1911 non stomper shooter

A 4' 11" 95# lady shot a full frame all steel 1911 45 ACP on our pistol team for several years and handled it with aplomb. You can tailor your loads, either factory or handloads, for whatever you are comfortable with. Sights large enough to see easily and a crisp trigger are all the bells/whistles needed.
    Secret_Storm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    If I may... Springfield 1911-A1 Mil-Spec in Stainless. I have one and I dearly love it. Not excessively expensive, 100% reliable and very easy on the hands. Now if your funds provide there are a number of options. Kimber, Les Baer, Colt etc. I am just thinking cost vs. quality vs. performance.

Regards,

Diddle
    Thanks! I really like that Springfield A1. *writes it on the list*

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Is this a gun you plan on carrying? Unless you plan to carry a 1911 in your purse or some other bag, you might be disappointed in the size and weight.

Might want to look at the new XDs in .45. Same great round, in a much thinner and lighter package
    No purse carry. I like it on my body. I usually carry a smaller pistol (LCR) in a belly band, but I had a leather holster made some time ago that I carried my SR9 in MIB, and I didn't mind it at all. So I'm wondering if a .45 will be as comfortable. Yes, ability to carry concealed is something I am considering, but I'd be happy to have it just for fun at the range or to keep beside me in a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    Rent some first. Try a xd , Glock and some 1911 models. Most will feel different due to grip angle and barrel axis
    Thanks, wish I could. No rentals around here. But I am going to a gun show in about a week, and now with all these suggestions, I can hardly wait. I'm going to write them all down and seek them out at the show so I can at least hold them (and will probably be coming home with one).

My wife likes the full-sized Colt Government Model best of all automatic pistols and she's slightly built.

Secret_Storm likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'd suggest you not carry MIB - if you fall or get pushed onto your back, you risk a spinal injury. Carry elsewhere.

You're carrying a LCR now, which is a fine defensive arm. If you are going to carry more weight, maybe another idea is to carry another gun as a BUG to the LCR, instead of a heavier .45 solo. Two guns beat one. My EDC off duty of late is a LCR backed up by a LCP.

I don't subscribe to the idea that one handgun caliber is particularly more "powerful" than another. I got a .45 for duty use (a Glock 30), for the simple reason that the POI more closely matches the POA with the heavier .45 when shooting through barriers like windshield glass. I do not expect the .45 to have vastly better terminal performance than any other caliber.

Good luck in your quest!
    Secret_Storm and 45ACP4ever like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

sgb
    If you're looking for a carry gun look at the Colt "Wiley Clapp" LW Commander.

Secret_Storm likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

One Suggestion

I would suggest that you not even consider a 1911 (or any .45) until you've shot one. Just sayin'. Personally, although the 1911 is one of my all-time favorite guns, I don't think it's the best choice for carry.

BUT, if you've got your heart set on a 1911, allow me to show off my new baby:
    c3 3.jpgC3 1.jpg
    It's a Sig C3 - Commander-sized, and has the nicest action I've ever felt on a 1911. Just picked it up this afternoon, and I have not fired it yet. I handled it side-by-side with several Kimbers and a Wilson, and I liked the Sig better. ALMOST got another Colt instead, but I got a deal I couldn't refuse on the C3.

GL, and enjoy whatever you choose!

Regards,
    Jim
    Secret_Storm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret_Storm View Post
    So I'm looking for a .45. I like the 1911's, and I like metal. I was looking at Kimber, Sig Sauer, and OMG ... WILSON COMBAT. *fans self*

I'm told that the recoil in a .45 is more like a push-back instead of a jump, but I want something that's not going to give the feeling of the gun jumping out of my hand.

We'll be going to a gun show very soon, so I'm looking to do a little research on .45's that I might be interested in. Thanks in advance for any help here.

Absolutely nothing to fear with regard to recoil. Lots of women shooting .45s - mostly 1911s - at the local steel matches. Haven't seen a grimace yet, except for when they blow a stage!

Seems like nearly all the gun makers are jumping into the 1911 game these days. Within just the past 3 years or so we've had Taurus, Ruger, Remington and others offer their own 1911s. I think you'd best be served with a maker who's been at the game for a while and who truly concentrates on 1911s. Not disparaging the Sigs and Smith & Wessons, but 1911s are just a sideline in their full lineup. That whittles the list down to primarily Colt, Springfield Armory, Kimber, and then the upper-echelon makers, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson and Nighthawk. The first 3 makers you'd have to work to find a gun much over $1500. The second 3, you won't be able to find one of theirs under $1500. And I'm sure I've left out a few.

Our own moderator Limatunes is a big .45 fan - check out her comments here: Limatunes' Range Diary
    Might have to dig a bit through her blog to find her entries on 1911s.

I may just find myself acquiring a collection of .45's! Over time, of course. It is difficult to have to settle for just one for now.
    That's a bug you'll likely never recover from!

I've got 4 .45s, three 1911s and a Sig 220. For a lightweight (alloy frame) gun, the recoil in the Sig is very modest, but the grips really require a larger hand than most women have. The 1911s comprise two full-size Springfields (1911-A1 and a TRP) and a Kimber Custom CDP II. The latter is an alloy-frame, four-inch 1911 with a "melt job," Kimber's equivalent of a Colt Lightweight Commander. With this gun the lighter weight makes recoil more noticeable; not with pain but with increased muzzle flip, so the followup shot isn't as quick. My times suffered when I shot that gun once in the steel matches I frequent. For that reason, if you like the 4-inch size, I'd recommend steel and not alloy. In the full-size guns, both the Springers are as reliable as the day is long, but the TRP gets a lot of match use because of its mag well and checkered front strap. FWIW, both the Springers needed to have their throats polished to feed hollowpoints reliably. Inconvenient, but not expensive. The TRP will cycle empty cases!

Good luck with your search, and keep us posted with your selection process!
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Hello and welcome!

The 1911 to many including myself has no rival. That being said I absolutely love my Glocks too!

The things people say about being more of a "push" than the "snap" of the .40S&W round is true. However the .45's most people shoot are all steel 1911 Govt. model pistols. The .40 is a snappy round, no doubt about that. The .45 is more of a push. Where that parts ways is with what gun it's fired from. The Glock 36 is a great gun. I have owned one and my brother owned one. I have fired them extensively and they are great guns, but not near as smooth as a steel 1911 is. Even the lightweight 1911's are not the same as the steel guns. Weight reduces recoil.

That being said. I am not trying to scare you away from a 1911 at all. Im saying shoot all of those guns and see which you like best. The 1911 is a very easy gun to conceal. They are very flat and overall very thin. My Glock 23 in the same spot, in the same brand holster will print at times, due to its slide being perfectly squared off. However the Glock 23 is relatively easy to conceal too.

My 1911 of choice is the 5" Govt. Model by Colt. Colt has been making them for 100 years, and no one else has. Colt made them originally and no one else did. I like Colt. I have owned Springfield Armory and Kimber 1911's as well, they were great guns in their own right.

On ammo, all modern 1911's will feed almost any hollow point ammo from the factory as they come out of the box. The exception being Speer Gold Dots in my personal experience. Those would not feed in any of my Colt 1911's, two Govt. Models, a Defender 3" gun and an Officers LW with 3.5" barrel all choked on Speer Gold Dot ammo, with Colt factory mags, Kimber mags, Chip McCormick mags and Wilson Combat 47D mags. Every other major brand of HP ammo fed fine in the same guns with the same mags. Your 1911 might feed them fine. My solution was to use another brand of HP ammo. I don't feel that Speer GD ammo is 1911 friendly for the most part. It feeds fine in my Glock and I carry it in those. Just a note on ammo.

On holsters and belts.
    Here is where people screw up big time. I carry a steel Colt 1911 every day, in Florida all year. I wear a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 IWB holster and a Milt Sparks belt. Those two pieces of carry gear cost me just over $300. I have used them every day for over 11 years and they are as good as the day I bought them. They have become darker with age and use, but their integrity is still sound. Buy good carry gear up front, you will save time, money and aggravation for sure. I wear T Shirts, or Polo shirts and jeans or cargo shorts most days. I don't dress special to conceal my gun, it is hidden and comfortable and I have never been made in eleven years of carrying. Get good gear up front.

I also use a Milt Sparks pocket holster for a spare mag. It holds the mag upright and keeps lint and stuff out of the mag. I like it a lot.

I have carried a 1911 almost every day for eleven years now. I carried Glocks at times just to change up. However the majority of my time was spent carrying the 1911. It's my favorite pistol and I learned to shoot it at age 12 on an old Colt 1911, from 1918 that my Grandpa brought home from WW2. If you have any questions or need help with anything just feel free to PM me here on the boards.

Good luck in your search and stay safe!
    Secret_Storm likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    First things first. All 1911's are basically the same. If they weren't, they wouldn't be called 1911's. Sure there is a wide span of price differences, finishes and grips to give people a choice. The more handwork and fine tuning during production the more they cost. Some have better metallurgy than others and will fit better and last through greater round counts, again, the price usually reflects this. So that leaves all the rest of the makes and models of full sized, semi-automatic pistols.

IMHO the main criteria in choosing any firearm is reliability. In semi-automatic's there is only one brand that has a proven track record of indisputable reliability, Glock! They have been sold by the hundreds of millions to law enforcement and military throughout the world for enough years to have been field tested in every extreme. You might argue that the same is true for John Brownings famous design except for one thing, reliability. While nearly everyone loves the 1911, not everyone will carry one because their life depends on it.

I own SA's, S&W's, Colt's and have bought and sold other 1911's. The only .45 I will carry because my life depends on it, is my G-30SF. Part of the reason is that I'm almost 70 and have gotten used to staying alive. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911's. I'm even waiting until the price comes down when the demand is lower, to buy an SR1911 from Ruger. In the meanwhile, I'm considering a full-sized Glock in .45 as an EDC, because my life may depend on it!
    Secret_Storm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ab4ux View Post
    I too am a female. I carry a S&W 1911 e series sc everyday. I love it. The 4.25 barrel is just right for easy draw
    and the rounded butt helps a lot on letting cloths fall over it with out catching. It has night sights that I also love at
    night while it rests on the night stand. Those little green dots look oh so nice glowing back at me.

Give it a look before you buy. It shoots like a dream. S&W 1911.JPG
    How does the recoil compare to a full size steel 1911. I have checked out one of these at a LGS, and it was one that took my breath away. It seemed like a really good package for the money. How many rounds have you put through yours?

To the OP, the recoil on the Springfield XDs was surprisingly mild.
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

mkh
    There are several varieties of the Sig P220 that very I trigger type, size and ammo capacity. The 220 has a lot of the characteristics of a 1911. I had one previously and sold it to get a P229. Hopefully getting another P220 in the next couple of weeks.
    Secret_Storm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    First things first. All 1911's are basically the same. If they weren't, they wouldn't be called 1911's. Sure there is a wide span of price differences, finishes and grips to give people a choice. The more handwork and fine tuning during production the more they cost. Some have better metallurgy than others and will fit better and last through greater round counts, again, the price usually reflects this. So that leaves all the rest of the makes and models of full sized, semi-automatic pistols.

IMHO the main criteria in choosing any firearm is reliability. In semi-automatic's there is only one brand that has a proven track record of indisputable reliability, Glock! They have been sold by the hundreds of millions to law enforcement and military throughout the world for enough years to have been field tested in every extreme. You might argue that the same is true for John Brownings famous design except for one thing, reliability. While nearly everyone loves the 1911, not everyone will carry one because their life depends on it.

I own SA's, S&W's, Colt's and have bought and sold other 1911's. The only .45 I will carry because my life depends on it, is my G-30SF. Part of the reason is that I'm almost 70 and have gotten used to staying alive. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911's. I'm even waiting until the price comes down when the demand is lower, to buy an SR1911 from Ruger. In the meanwhile, I'm considering a full-sized Glock in .45 as an EDC, because my life may depend on it!
    I will agree with you about Glock pistols being infallibly reliable. If I had to grab and load any handgun in the world and defend my life with it untested it would be a Glock. That being said, every one of my Colt 1911 pistols have all been reliable in thousands upon thousands of rounds of use. I did have a Springfield Armory 1911 that needed an extractor. I replaced the original one which I assume was MIM with a Wilson Combat Bulletproof extractor, which I had a trusted gunsmith fit and tune. I put another 3K rounds through that gun before selling it to a friend and as far as I know it's still going strong on that Wilson extractor.

I have worked part time in a large gun shop for ten years now. Every single 1911 I have seen that didn't run had either worn parts that the user didn't know enough to replace, or had been modified by a "gunsmith" and I use that term very loosely at some guys kitchen table. Most guys try to "polish" the feedramp on 1911's with their dremel tools. It doesnt work out too well.

The other issue is that all of the newer 1911 pistols I have seen, Kimber, Sig, Springfield and some Colts have been super tight. The 1911 was never designed or meant to be built to those tolerances at all. My Colt's have all rattled and all ran without a problem even when filthy. If you are going to have an over tight 1911 then you have better have had it built by Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, or the handful of other master smiths that can build a 1911 to be both tight and reliable. Mass produced 1911's full of cast and MIM parts, which the design was never meant to have in it, don't lend themselves well to being built tight IMO. I could be wrong here, but a loose 1911 seems to be a reliable one. Glocks are not overly tight weapons either. Thankfully we are still free enough to choose between the two, and many others.

If you are looking for a full sized Glock in .45acp, look at the Gen 4 guns. They feel good!
    Secret_Storm and sensei2 like this.

I can't tell any difference in recoil from my Springfield full size ss. The S&W is a whole lot easier to carry with the
    round butt. For me it is a no brainer for Carry.
    I have over 1000 rounds of different ammo and it ate it all with no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter64 View Post
    How does the recoil compare to a full size steel 1911. I have checked out one of these at a LGS, and it was one that took my breath away. It seemed like a really good package for the money. How many rounds have you put through yours?

To the OP, the recoil on the Springfield XDs was surprisingly mild.
    Secret_Storm likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links