Stepping up to a .45. But which one?

This is a discussion on Stepping up to a .45. But which one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SGB that Colt is amazing looking... As far as recoil the Glock G21 SF I had, had very little recoil...I assume due to the bore ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Stepping up to a .45. But which one?

SGB that Colt is amazing looking...

As far as recoil the Glock G21 SF I had, had very little recoil...I assume due to the bore axis being pretty low. The problem is that pistol has a pretty good sized grip even though it's less than the normal G21, unless you have very large hands for a lady it may be hard to get a grip on. Just kinda throwing it out there.
    Secret_Storm likes this.

2. Remove Ads

If you plan to carry the 45, I'd steer you clear of all the full steel pistols.......they're just too heavy for regular carry. I have polymer pistols and steel/aluminum alloy pistols.....my favorite, like you, is all metal guns. Someone already mentioned the Sig P245....... they're not currently in production. The current Sig pistol that equates to the P245 is the P220 Compact. I see you like Sig pistols.....so do I. I carry a Sig P220 Carry model every day. Most all the Sig steel/aluminum pistols weigh around 30oz unloaded, that's not a light weight, but is a good weight for shooting 45's in a controlled fashion. I'd go with a Sig......
    Secret_Storm likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    If you plan to carry the 45, I'd steer you clear of all the full steel pistols.......they're just too heavy for regular carry.
    I'm assuming you mean they're too heavy for you, to carry regularly? I know quite a number of folks that don't find an all steel full size 1911 too heavy for regular carry.
    bmcgilvray and Secret_Storm like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I'm assuming you mean they're too heavy for you, to carry regularly? I know quite a number of folks that don't find an all steel full size 1911 too heavy for regular carry.
    Well, I was trying to be tactful and non-sexist, but you force me to go there. I don't know any women that regularly carry a 40oz 1911. I'm sure there are exceptions. I don't personally know the op, but I assume she is a petite lady like my wife. My wife would not and could not carry a steel 1911. Since the op already owns a Sig P238 my impression is that she prefers smaller/lighter than larger and heavier.
    Kilowatt3 and Secret_Storm like this.

My son got a Springfield Armory Range Officer for Christmas, it is a beauty, and shoots better than anything I've shot before.
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

If you want a totally reliable and accurate .45 acp pistol take a hard look at the HK .45C.

I'm a huge fan of the 1911, my first handgun was a Colt MKIV Series '70 that I purchased NIB for $250.00 in 1977.

IMO, they are great range pistols, the triggers are awesome but if you want something to defend your life or your family's get an HK or Glock.

Good luck.
    Secret_Storm and sensei2 like this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I have three 45's. A Glock 36, Colt LWT Commander XSE, and a Kimber Tactical II. All of fun to shoot. I've not tried carrying either 1911 because I'm still in shorts and tee's. Once the weather allows heavier clothing, I plan to carry both 1911's.

Both 1911's are very accurate. The Kimber has a CT laser which helps. I'd recommend either 1911.
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    G30 sf
    Secret_Storm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    Well, I was trying to be tactful and non-sexist, but you force me to go there. I don't know any women that regularly carry a 40oz 1911. I'm sure there are exceptions. I don't personally know the op, but I assume she is a petite lady like my wife. My wife would not and could not carry a steel 1911. Since the op already owns a Sig P238 my impression is that she prefers smaller/lighter than larger and heavier.
    lol - I don't mind some sexism. :) No, not petite, I'm 5' 10 and fairly lean, wear a large size leather glove but I don't have "man hands" ... my husband is 6'1", 300lbs and his hands are much bigger than mine. I'm really up in the air about if I want to carry a .45, yes, I DO, but it will probably be a little too big. I was hoping to get a full size just because I am a little nervous about the recoil. So in the end, I will probably wind up keeping it in my range bag for some shooting fun, or keeping it in my truck. I might try wearing it anyway, and if it works out then great, if not, and I can handle the .45 just fine, then I'll keep on the lookout for a smaller one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    My son got a Springfield Armory Range Officer for Christmas, it is a beauty, and shoots better than anything I've shot before.
    My husband is really recommending Springfeld. Some others on here mentioned it and I'm grateful, because I've been looking at them and they seem pretty sharp. Maybe it is best that I start out with something like it and if it works out, then I can buy my dream Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret_Storm View Post
    lol - I don't mind some sexism. :) No, not petite, I'm 5' 10 and fairly lean, wear a large size leather glove but I don't have "man hands" ... my husband is 6'1", 300lbs and his hands are much bigger than mine. I'm really up in the air about if I want to carry a .45, yes, I DO, but it will probably be a little too big. I was hoping to get a full size just because I am a little nervous about the recoil. So in the end, I will probably wind up keeping it in my range bag for some shooting fun, or keeping it in my truck. I might try wearing it anyway, and if it works out then great, if not, and I can handle the .45 just fine, then I'll keep on the lookout for a smaller one.

My husband is really recommending Springfeld. Some others on here mentioned it and I'm grateful, because I've been looking at them and they seem pretty sharp. Maybe it is best that I start out with something like it and if it works out, then I can buy my dream Wilson.
    In view of your last comment, I think you could handle a Glock 30 or 36. As I mentioned above, I have a 36 and the recoil is very manageable. As long as I keep a firm grip I have little recoil and not pinching.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret_Storm View Post

Colt makes a truly nice lightweight Government Model (29oz.).

Colt XSE
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Anybody have experience with the Remington R1? I was looking at one and it felt and looked nice. The price is good too, but I have not heard anything about them.
    Secret_Storm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the 1911, my first handgun was a Colt MKIV Series '70 that I purchased NIB for $250.00 in 1977.

IMO, they are great range pistols, the triggers are awesome but if you want something to defend your life or your family's get an HK or Glock.

at the risk of angering the spirit of JMB, i have to agree. a good 1911 is a pleasure to shoot, and i suspect that many people can/will shoot one faster and more accurately than virtually any other handgun. i love my Kimber Gold Match, but for me, it is range gun only. it is a 100 year old design, and for several reasons i would rather have a more modern designed weapon in my hand if TSHTF. please note that i have NO problem if anyone else wants to carry a 1911. this is just my personal choice. i am probably being influenced by the memory of my long-departed Colt Combat Commander, which was a jam-a-matic. my younger son loves to shoot my Kimber, and it will be his someday. but if i have any choice about his first SD handgun, it will be a Glock.

to Coltman 77: i would add Sig-Sauer to your list of HK and Glock. (and i've owned all three brands, and been twice Glock certified as an Armorer)

to Secret_Storm: MANY years ago, Duane Thomas, a Washington State resident, wrote an article for Handguns Magazine titled, "Women Who Carry .45's". he briefly profiled about six women for whom the 1911 was the primary carry gun. one woman was my firearms instructor, another was the woman (Heidi) who later married Clint Smith. my memory is hazy on specifics, but i believe all but one woman used a full 5" steel 1911. one used an Colt Officer's Model (a 3.5" gun). i THINK that four women carried in strong-side holsters, one(?) carried crossdraw, and one, who was dressed in a business suit, carried in a purse that was designed to hold a handgun. if i can locate that article i'll IM you through this site with more details.
    Secret_Storm likes this.

VIP Member
    Well if a Wilson is in your price range, you might also look at the Dan Wesson Guardian.

CZ-USA -> Dan Wesson Guardian
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Oh well. If I'm to have an automatic in my hand for serious work I particularly want the 100-year old 1911 design rather than any other .45 ACP chambered pistol. I'm influenced by the complete satisfaction I've observed the design to deliver.
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links