Stepping up to a .45. But which one? - Page 4

Stepping up to a .45. But which one?

This is a discussion on Stepping up to a .45. But which one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OD* Colt makes a truly nice lightweight Government Model (29oz.). That is nice. Thanks for the suggestion. Not much heavier than my ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Stepping up to a .45. But which one?

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Colt makes a truly nice lightweight Government Model (29oz.).
    That is nice. Thanks for the suggestion. Not much heavier than my SR9.

Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    Anybody have experience with the Remington R1? I was looking at one and it felt and looked nice. The price is good too, but I have not heard anything about them.
    Thanks for bringing that up. I hadn't even considered one, the only Remington I usually hear about is ammo. But that's a really nice looking gun, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    to Secret_Storm: MANY years ago, Duane Thomas, a Washington State resident, wrote an article for Handguns Magazine titled, "Women Who Carry .45's". he briefly profiled about six women for whom the 1911 was the primary carry gun. one woman was my firearms instructor, another was the woman (Heidi) who later married Clint Smith. my memory is hazy on specifics, but i believe all but one woman used a full 5" steel 1911. one used an Colt Officer's Model (a 3.5" gun). i THINK that four women carried in strong-side holsters, one(?) carried crossdraw, and one, who was dressed in a business suit, carried in a purse that was designed to hold a handgun. if i can locate that article i'll IM you through this site with more details.
    Thank you for keeping an eye out for that. I subscribe to a lot of gun magazines and read an article in one about a year ago I think, it was either written about or by a female police officer, and I thought she was from Washington. Maybe one of the same women from your article. She carried a .45. It is interesting to see others perspectives on it, as women go for the bigger guns for all different reasons.

In my case, I'm not wanting to do it because I want to be on "equal footing" with what a man can handle. In fact, I admit that I might even be too afraid to do it at all. I'm worried that I'm all excited about getting one and then the first time I shoot it at the range and it jumps back at me, I'll clear it and walk back and lay it on the table and inform my husband he's the proud owner of a new .45. I hope it doesn't turn out that way. (Hey, maybe that's why he's been giving me ideas of which one to get ...). I've been reading a lot about the argument of which caliber is most effective as well as watching YouTube videos, and while that argument is not going to be solved any time soon, I'd just like to push the envelope and see what exactly I can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Well if a Wilson is in your price range, you might also look at the Dan Wesson Guardian.

CZ-USA -> Dan Wesson Guardian
    Oh my, these 1911's certainly are attractive.

OD*
    You're quite welcome, ma'am.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I have renewed faith in Remington these days. I have long loved my old 700's (I have three, all over 15 years old) as well as my 30 year old 1100. They hit a patch with some questionable weapons, but the R1, versamax, And R15 seem to be solid guns. As I said I have not shot, nor do I know anyone who has shot the R1 but the versamax and R15 are great. The R1 may be worth a look and I would love to hear any reports on it.

That said my 1911 is a Cold Gold Cup Commander that I have owned for almost thirty years and a sig sauer scorpion that I got about two years ago. I do not ever recall a single problem, jam, or misfire with my colt, and I can't even come close to a guess of how many rounds I have put through it.

My wife was looking for a pistol for herself a couple years ago. After trying out a lot of them she chose the HK45C. She really likes it.

No one can argue HK quality. If you like SIG's you know what a quality gun is like.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

Sly
    Hello all. I too am looking at getting my wife and I 45 Acp handguns for concealed carry. We are going to the range in a few weeks to test a few. Right now, I am leaning towards the Springfield Xds or Xdm. Thoughts?
    Thank you.

stt

Thumbs up Kahr Cw 45 good value

I just bought a Kahr cw 45 shoot one ragged hole of 230 gr at 30 ft and at a good price point $405 out the door very little recoil
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    CZ makes an excellent .45: CZ-USA -> CZ 97 BD
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

You looking specifically for single action, full size or compact?

If you like your current SIG...maybe you ought to stick close to that line. Wilson Combat and expense? Yep, but they are top of the line and made right here in not only the USA....but Arkansas! Anyway........the SIG 1911s? Not sure about them. I grew up on the standard issue 1911A1 in 1982. Had to have what I was familiar with once I became a civilian again. Many years with a 1911 of some sort mil-spec to building my own (with Wilson parts matter of fact). My suggestion.......try a SIG P220SAO. Not as much $ as you'd think. You're female and 45ACP is a big pistol? My ex-girlfriend loved the P220SAO so much.....after shooting steel challenge matches for two straight years both of us with 9mm Glocks....she actually did a couple matches with the P220SAO with better hits but longer times. This did put her in single stack division so it sort of came out in the wash. Thing is.....it's very controllable...most 45s are IMO. Heavier metal pistols are good for follow up shots and the 45ACP should not be intimidating in any way. The 40cal is a bit more in felt recoil actually than the 45ACP in most platforms IMO. The smaller the pistol, the more pronounced the recoil no matter what caliber. "Quality guns"? SIG dos fit the bill on that IMO. You're obviously used to the smaller pistols, so the transition to the larger 45ACP pistols may only come down to grip size for you.
    Going to the range Sunday.....you're more than welcome to put 100 rounds through my P220SAO. Thing I like about it best over a standard 1911 is I can chamber a round with the safety on. Good luck with finding the best for you and limiting the financial damage if that's a concern. No.....I do occasionally send out loaner holsters....but never my pistols.

Im thinking about buying one of these. I have an S&W .40 and it is a bit bulky. I found online the Kimber models are really nice.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    If you are really looking for a powerful gun, check the Glock 29sf..magnun power in a semiauto.

DSC00100.jpg

My vote goes for the Kimber Ultra CDP II. It is my favorite .45.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You looking specifically for single action, full size or compact?

If you like your current SIG...maybe you ought to stick close to that line. Wilson Combat and expense? Yep, but they are top of the line and made right here in not only the USA....but Arkansas! Anyway........the SIG 1911s? Not sure about them. I grew up on the standard issue 1911A1 in 1982. Had to have what I was familiar with once I became a civilian again. Many years with a 1911 of some sort mil-spec to building my own (with Wilson parts matter of fact). My suggestion.......try a SIG P220SAO. Not as much $ as you'd think. You're female and 45ACP is a big pistol? My ex-girlfriend loved the P220SAO so much.....after shooting steel challenge matches for two straight years both of us with 9mm Glocks....she actually did a couple matches with the P220SAO with better hits but longer times. This did put her in single stack division so it sort of came out in the wash. Thing is.....it's very controllable...most 45s are IMO. Heavier metal pistols are good for follow up shots and the 45ACP should not be intimidating in any way. The 40cal is a bit more in felt recoil actually than the 45ACP in most platforms IMO. The smaller the pistol, the more pronounced the recoil no matter what caliber. "Quality guns"? SIG dos fit the bill on that IMO. You're obviously used to the smaller pistols, so the transition to the larger 45ACP pistols may only come down to grip size for you.
    Going to the range Sunday.....you're more than welcome to put 100 rounds through my P220SAO. Thing I like about it best over a standard 1911 is I can chamber a round with the safety on. Good luck with finding the best for you and limiting the financial damage if that's a concern. No.....I do occasionally send out loaner holsters....but never my pistols.
    For now I'm thinking about full size. If I can handle it, then I'll try compact for carry. I don't think I really have a preference between single or double action. In fact, I like revolvers because they're point and shoot, but favor semi-autos for their higher ammo capacity. (as far as carry goes)

That SIG P220SAO is also good for consideration, however it doesn't seem to have that real 1911 appearance, does it?

I've been shooting 1911s since I was a boy. Everything from a war-surplus Remington Rand to a new Colt Series 70, and each one has been utterly reliable. I have carried a full-size 1911 for many years and my current carry piece is a Springfield 1911 loaded with Federal HST +P.

1911s are fun to shoot, can be competition accurate, and there is a reason the design has endured for a century.

I would recommend the Springfield for their quality/price and their excellent customer service.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret_Storm View Post
    That SIG P220SAO is also good for consideration, however it doesn't seem to have that real 1911 appearance, does it?
    If you get a chance to try a SIG 220 SAO you will find it has one of the smoothest triggers you can find directly from the factory. Just saying...
    .XX and sensei2 like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

FNH FNP-45 double stack with 3 mags (qty 1 15 round capacity, & qty 2 14 round capacity). 15+1 would be an ideal HD option, probably not an EDC option ... one of the lightest recoils around in a 45.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links