Stepping up to a .45. But which one?

This is a discussion on Stepping up to a .45. But which one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 45 is one of my favorite rounds, but its also pretty much the most expensive handgun round in my collection. Its not hard to ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Stepping up to a .45. But which one?

eb
    The 45 is one of my favorite rounds, but its also pretty much the most expensive handgun round in my collection. Its not hard to blow through $80-100 worth of ammo in 30 minutes. Makes range trips pricey as I usually bring more than one gun, therefore I end up only shooting maybe 50 per trip and I don't bring one every time.

2. Remove Ads

.XX
    P220 Super MatchIMGP1473.JPG
    Last edited by OD*; September 6th, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
    sensei2 likes this.

.XX
    sensei2 likes this.

.XX

If you're also considering polymer pistols in .45, my current carry is an M&P .45c. 8+1, virtually identical dimensionally to the Glock 19/23/32, ability to accept larger 10/14 round magazines from the larger pistols, picatinny rail for lights or lasers, and M&P reliability. It's hard to go wrong with it.

I also am a fan of the Ruger P345. It's a simple, inexpensive, hammer fired DA/SA .45 with similar dimensions to the classic 1911 full size. 8+1, & the enough thing I ever had mine choke on was some cheap Fiochi hollowpoints. Also has a rail for lights/lasers, and uses inexpensive magazines. Mine was very accurate (1-2" groups at 10 yards) when loaded with Winchester PDX1.

I've also got an XDs on layaway currently. I'm hoping to have it out by the middle of this month. I love the idea of a .45 pocket pistol. Already bought two 7 round magazines and a remora ART holster for it. I have high hopes for that little gun as a summer carry or BUG.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    CZ makes an excellent .45: CZ-USA -> CZ 97 BD

i agree, BUT if you don't have large hands, forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by Secret_Storm View Post
    That SIG P220SAO is also good for consideration, however it doesn't seem to have that real 1911 appearance, does it?
    dear secret: i have one - a P-220 Super Match. it's lighter than an all-steel 1911, because the frame is alloy. also the grip diameter is slightly larger than a 1911, even with thinner aluminum grip panels. with the original rosewood grips, it's really fatter than a 1911. a wonderful shooter, though. about $1400 new.
    .XX likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have several 45's: Smith and Wather,best trigger I've ever rub across the first shot long trigger pull while the second short pull.
    Springfield loaded 13+1 much like the Para made by anti gun Canada ! Ones poly and one 1911 metal. I'd be a repeat buyer on both!

Glock 30sf ... you can't go wrong with it.

I have recently switched back to the 1911, and use this Sig Scorpion:
    IMG_0809.JPGIMG_0810.jpg

As noted, the .45 has a different impulse. As long as your training has given you the skill to let recoil come up and back w/o 'breaking' your wrist, you'll feel no discomfort. It will require some adjustment, but training and practice are the key. The manual-of-arms requires some training (draw, push, sights, safety, press) as does the malfunction drill. Each is a simple set of tasks requiring nothing more than good muscle memory following (you guessed it) training.

IF you want a .45, pick the one that fits your hand and body. THAT matters as much as the technical details of any particular brand.

Check-6!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links