Stepping up to a .45. But which one?

This is a discussion on Stepping up to a .45. But which one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, I'm female so I have the typical trepidation when it comes to big bangs. That said, I still want a powerful pistol in ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Stepping up to a .45. But which one?

Stepping up to a .45. But which one?

First off, I'm female so I have the typical trepidation when it comes to big bangs. That said, I still want a powerful pistol in my collection that will rip a screaming hole in whatever I target!

I've got a 9mm, .38, and .380 that I most commonly shoot. I'm more comfortable with the 9mm, but I want a bigger gun. My latest purchase was a little Sig Sauer P238 and I was so impressed with its accuracy that I've decided to only purchase quality guns. I've seen the light.

So I'm looking for a .45. I like the 1911's, and I like metal. I was looking at Kimber, Sig Sauer, and OMG ... WILSON COMBAT. *fans self*

I'm told that the recoil in a .45 is more like a push-back instead of a jump, but I want something that's not going to give the feeling of the gun jumping out of my hand. I've read too often that .40's are a bit rougher than .45's, and that is why I'm not entertaining that caliber. My gun range does not have rentals to try and I live out in the Styx. No worries though, if I would happen to be disappointed with a purchase, I have a husband who would be more than happy to take it off my hands.

We'll be going to a gun show very soon, so I'm looking to do a little research on .45's that I might be interested in. Thanks in advance for any help here.

2. Remove Ads

All the 1911s listed are really nice. I own a kimber but like the sig better. Wilson is way out of my range. I think you get more "bare minimum" from sig. My $800 kim isn't as nice as a sig at the same price. That's my vote, I will own a sig tac ops soon. Good luck! Keep us updated.

Jason
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

First off, tell Tommy Shaw I said hi!

Secondly, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the recoil if you are looking at metal 1911's (if you are looking at full-sized pistols) as the 40 oz absorbs the recoil well. If you are looking for compact versions they do get rougher, but still better than a lighter aluminum or polymer gun. I'm a big fan of the Sig 1911 (and the Colt), but lots of people love the Kimbers and Wilsons.
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I don't have a .45 yet, but my son has a Kimber 1911, and I love shooting it. I would agree with your description of .45 ACP recoil as more of a push, whereas a .40 is snappier, in my opinion. I don't think a 1911 all steel gun will feel like it is going to jump out of your hand, since you are already used to shooting the guns you mentioned.
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    NRA Life Member

an 5", all-steel Government model is quite pleasant to shoot, and i've read of a number of women who do so.

the Springfield Armory Range Officer has gotten some good reviews, including two from Gun tests, which accepts no advertising. about $850.

at a distinctly higher price point, consider Les Baer as well (if you're thinking Wilson, you can afford a Baer). the Les Baer Premier II is about $1500, but it will hold its value if you ever need to resell it.

my only 1911 is a blue Kimber Gold Match, which is also a nice gun, but if you can spend that much, go up a bit more to a Wilson, Baer, or Nighthawk. i got a deal i couldn't pass up on my Kimber, but i still hope to get a Baer someday.

i recommend AGAINST a smaller (under 4" barrel) 1911. they are not as inherently reliable as the full-size, and more for those who want to carry a 1911 concealed.

let us know what you finally buy.

Thank you for the feedback - it all looks pretty good so far! That Springfield Armory Range Officer looks pretty nice, too. I may just find myself acquiring a collection of .45's! Over time, of course. It is difficult to have to settle for just one for now.

I don't find the 45 acp to be a handful. It sounds like you are an experienced shooter, so don't shy away from the 45. IMHO, the best 1911 for the money is the STI Spartan. Excellent quality and super customer service. It can be had in 3,4, and 5" barrel lengths. My favorite carry 1911 is a lightweight Colt CCO; it is lighter than an all steel gun and has the slightly shorter Officer length grip making it quite concealable. That said, recoil is more noticeable than with a heavier, all-steel 1911s. CCO sized guns are also made by Dan Wesson, STI, and Baer, among others. Of course if budget is not issue there is always Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk....
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I've got a Kimber Ultra Carry II. It's a small, compact .45 1911. I use 185 or 165 grain low recoil ammo. It's very easy to control with those loads. There is a noticable increase in recoil when I use standard 230 grain rounds.
    Secret_Storm likes this.

Administrator
    If you want a 1911 in .45 ACP then why not go with the folks that invented it. Buy a Colt. Certainly I would also go for a WILSON if you had some extra $$$ under the ol' Mattress.
    Secret_Storm and bmcgilvray like this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    If I may... Springfield 1911-A1 Mil-Spec in Stainless. I have one and I dearly love it. Not excessively expensive, 100% reliable and very easy on the hands. Now if your funds provide there are a number of options. Kimber, Les Baer, Colt etc. I am just thinking cost vs. quality vs. performance.

Regards,

Diddle
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Is this a gun you plan on carrying? Unless you plan to carry a 1911 in your purse or some other bag, you might be disappointed in the size and weight.

Might want to look at the new XDs in .45. Same great round, in a much thinner and lighter package
    Secret_Storm likes this.

Cool

If this will be a concealed carry pistol you owe it to yourself to look at the Glock 36.

Single stack 6 round mag, double recoil spring, simple trigger, easy to maintain, light in weight and small in stature for a .45 ACP.

I find myself carrying it more and more over my Glock 23 .40 S&W not because of the recoil factor though it does shoot softer than the .40 S&W and you are correct about the push recoil as opposed to the snappy .40 S&W but because it is smaller and conceals easier in the t-shirt weather of Florida in the summertime.

Image.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    zonker1986 and Secret_Storm like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

for carry, another vote for the Glock 36. 1911's are wonderful pistols, but I don't care for them for concealed carry due to the weight and other gizmos you have become proficient. Glock is draw, point and shoot. In a self defense situation, you want it as simple as possible.
    Secret_Storm and Old School like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

So many 45s, so little time, money and safe capacity...

The .45 is probably my favorite caliber, and I have a number of them. I like larger ones for range or home defense, and smaller ones for carry. You mentioned that you are looking for a metal gun and that you like 1911s, so I will ignore polymer and assume you are looking for a carry gun.

A 1911 has a number of advantages, including a single action, crisp breaking trigger for every shot and a thin profile for easy concealment. The two that I have used for carry in this category are both aluminum frame, a 3 inch Colt Defender and a 4 inch Kimber Pro CDP. I have been quite happy with the reliability and accuracy of both, and probably carry the Defender the most because of its ease of concealment.

A metal alternative to the 1911 is the Sig P245, a shortened version of the Sig P220. This is a 4 inch barrel, aluminum frame 6+1 capacity gun with a DA/SA trigger system. The gun is accurate and handles .45 recoil very well, weighing about the same as the Kimber Pro.

Secret_Storm likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Ruger's 1911 is a very nice gun as well.
    Brad426, Secret_Storm and 10thmtn like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links