Springfield Armory 1911 Question

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory 1911 Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking to add a 1911 to my assortment of pistols and the Sprinfield has been recommended by many people. The question is ...

Thread: Springfield Armory 1911 Question

Springfield Armory 1911 Question

I have been looking to add a 1911 to my assortment of pistols and the Sprinfield has been recommended by many people. The question is about the key operated safety on the MSH. Has anyone had any issue with this on a Springfield 1911? When I first saw this safety feature I immediately took Springfield off of my list. Am I being irrational? I am curious because I haven't found any other 1911s with this feature.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I have not heard of any issues, but it's an east thing to get rid of with a simple main spring housing (MSH) replacement.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I've been shooting Springfield 1911s for over a decade. I've never had a problem with their MSH's. You'll probably never know the lock system is even there. As JD said, if for whatever reason you don't care for it the MSH can be swapped out easily. Springfield makes one of the best 1911s out there, so I wouldn't take them off my list.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Lead Moderator
    I never use mine/ never had a problem with it .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Never had a problem with it and as JD said easy to swap out.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Three years and roughly 6000 rounds through my TRP, no issues with that safety on the MSH whatsoever.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

just unlock the gun and put the key back in the box and never lock it again. I know some that actually throw the key away.....but I always keep mine.....I really don't know why.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    I never had a problem with mine. If it concerns you that it might malfunction. Change out the MSH.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wasn't sure if it would be as easy as changing out the MSH.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think the concern about the locks causing a malfunction is more a case of a a problem looking for a place to happen. Yes, it could, but any other part of a firearm can fail also. If soneone did an "accurate" search, the number of lock problems would probably be much, much smaller than suspected, far less than extractor, slide lock, and trigger problems.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    just unlock the gun and put the key back in the box and never lock it again. I know some that actually throw the key away.....but I always keep mine.....I really don't know why.
    Keep it so you can say all original gear included when you sell it
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

No problems here with either a Loaded Micro Compact or a Range Officer. I like 'em as well as any mid-grade 1911, in fact, I like 'em better than most.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    No issue on my Loaded Champion. I have never taken the key out of the case.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I actually have a Springfield 1911 locking MSH on a Kimber. The Kimber came with a plastic MSH and I wanted to replace it with a checkered steel one. I found a nice one at a gun show, and noticed the tiny 1/16 inch hole indicating a Springfield unit with locking safety. I bought it anyway and installed it on the Kimber, and it has worked well for 5 years in the "off" position. I wish S&W revolvers had such a low profile locking safety as the Springfield 1911s.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter64 View Post
    I have been looking to add a 1911 to my assortment of pistols and the Sprinfield has been recommended by many people. The question is about the key operated safety on the MSH. Has anyone had any issue with this on a Springfield 1911? When I first saw this safety feature I immediately took Springfield off of my list. Am I being irrational? I am curious because I haven't found any other 1911s with this feature.
    I swapped out the parts on mine for standard parts and a Flat MSH = just as a hedge.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Links