Crimson Trace and deer.....

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace and deer..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just walked out to close the little doors on the chicken coop( its about 1950 hrs and dusk). The local herd of Whitetails that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Crimson Trace and deer.....

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Crimson Trace and deer.....

I just walked out to close the little doors on the chicken coop( its about 1950 hrs and dusk). The local herd of Whitetails that like to hang around and eat my alfalfa and polish off the feed that the chickens leave were hanging around my coop.

Just for the heck of it, I pulled out my 1911 and pointed it at the deer and squeezed the laser (not the trigger mind you). In the reduced light, it was absolutely bright against the side of the deer---I replaced the pistol and paced off the distance and it was 50 yards. Not saying I could have actually hit the deer (or whatever I was going to actually shoot at), but that little red dot really stood out.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    So when are you having us over for venison stew?
    BugDude likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Even in daylight they are suprisingly bright. We were up north one weekend and we were sitting outside and began shining one into the trees, and then activated another, and it was very visible out to 35-50 yards, even in the afternoon light.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

A well placed .45 shot from 50 yards can take a deer. Personally, I like deer sausage and gravy with biscuits and fresh tomatoes. Sounds like a DC breakfast and morning shoot at your place!!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Well, you all would be welcome for that breakfast and shoot!! But I'm afraid it would be beef and not venison. We raise our own beef plus some to sell--nice grass-fed Black Angus There is usually no room in the freezers for Venison.

And sadly, we still cannot shoot here--we are in a drought and everything is tinder-dry--so our outdoor ranges have been shut down for the time being. Our hay crops were only 20% of normal, so we are having to bring down hay from Canada. Last year grass hay and grass/alfalfa went for $85 a ton. This year its already at $185 a ton. Many ranchers are having to thin there herds because they can't aford to feed them. Beef prices are going to go way up this coming year!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Just an FYI.....I know here in MO it is illegal to hunt with anything that cast a beam of light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Well, you all would be welcome for that breakfast and shoot!! But I'm afraid it would be beef and not venison. We raise our own beef plus some to sell--nice grass-fed Black Angus There is usually no room in the freezers for Venison.

And sadly, we still cannot shoot here--we are in a drought and everything is tinder-dry--so our outdoor ranges have been shut down for the time being. Our hay crops were only 20% of normal, so we are having to bring down hay from Canada. Last year grass hay and grass/alfalfa went for $85 a ton. This year its already at $185 a ton. Many ranchers are having to thin there herds because they can't aford to feed them. Beef prices are going to go way up this coming year!!!
    That bad for you guys? We've had a nice little drought going, but the hay crops look to be doing OK. It did go up from $65 to $85 a ton, but I guess we have no room to complain with you guys paying $185. No shooting ban here either. We had the normal fireworks ban, but that's nothing new. They did put us under a burn ban, but that's just for bonfires, outdoor grilling, and field burning.

Quote Originally Posted by lokin4deer View Post
    Just an FYI.....I know here in MO it is illegal to hunt with anything that cast a beam of light.
    I believe that's the case here too. Anything that produces artificial light.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    That bad for you guys? We've had a nice little drought going, but the hay crops look to be doing OK. It did go up from $65 to $85 a ton, but I guess we have no room to complain with you guys paying $185. No shooting ban here either. We had the normal fireworks ban, but that's nothing new. They did put us under a burn ban, but that's just for bonfires, outdoor grilling, and field burning.

I believe that's the case here too. Anything that produces artificial light.
    I made 6 (count 'em--six) trips to Malta with my pickup and flatbed trailer--8 tons per load, to get my grass/alfalfa about 550 miles round trip per load.

I was not hunting the deer--I was just curious to see how the laser would perform at that distance.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I made 6 (count 'em--six) trips to Malta with my pickup and flatbed trailer--8 tons per load, to get my grass/alfalfa about 550 miles round trip per load.

I was not hunting the deer--I was just curious to see how the laser would perform at that distance.
    Wow. That's a lot of hay. And even more gas.... I've managed to keep my livestock to a minimum, so my handful of critters have only been going through about 25 tons a year, max. I added two calves this year, so we'll see how much they end up costing me. Still cheaper than buying beef, I imagine.

I knew you weren't hunting them, they're still out of season. Got another month before that fun starts. I've toyed with the idea of a 1911 for hunting ever since I messed up my shoulder a couple years ago. Shooting that .300 WBY Mag wasn't quite as fun as it used to be. Finally settled on the AR instead, but I think the 1911 would do fine if you can keep it under 50 yards.

One good thing about venison, you can mix it half and half with ground beef. Hardly noticeable and it makes the beef go A LOT further. I'd get myself another freezer and make use of those Whitetails, if I were you.

Same here in MI

One other thing, if a crick dick sees you "trying out" your laser or other light source and you have a gun, you can be charged - regardless of your intentions.

Now they have even banned Lightsaber's? They have gone to far now!

Michael

Its funny that i found this post i spent a good 20 minutes shining my laser pointer at a few deer last night. I couldnt get them to chase it though. Can they see red?

PM
    Same in KS

Administrator
    I feel your pain on that. Especially when so many folks in the U.S. are already cutting it pretty close.

Our hay crops were only 20% of normal, so we are having to bring down hay from Canada. Last year grass hay and grass/alfalfa went for $85 a ton. This year its already at $185 a ton. Many ranchers are having to thin there herds because they can't afford to feed them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links