New Rossi 357 Question

This is a discussion on New Rossi 357 Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little history... My papa had bought this Rossi 357 Mag (r46202) off a friend about 6 years ago. And the first time I saw ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sky Pilot
  • 1 Post By KyBill
  • 1 Post By SmokinFool

Thread: New Rossi 357 Question

New Rossi 357 Question

A little history... My papa had bought this Rossi 357 Mag (r46202) off a friend about 6 years ago. And the first time I saw it and he let me shoot it, I fell in love with it. He wouldn't sell it to me unfortunately, but yesterday he finally did (he'd bought a new Ruger 357). But when he sold it to me, he said that the manual said that it would NOT take 38 special shells. He had lost the manual, but I've never heard of a 357 not accepting 38's.

So question for everybody here... Will it take the 38? or 38+P (or are those pretty much the same thing)?

Thanks in advance everybody

2. Remove Ads

Oh brother...

Yes, it most certainly will shoot .38s, including +Ps. I urge you to go to the Taurus/Rossi web site and download the manual for that gun - chances are it's available on line.

With any Magnum revolver shooting shorter shells, there is a risk that a rind of deposits will build up short of the chamber mouth. If it's extensive, then you'll have difficulty loading the full-length Magnum ammo. The simple solution is just a tad more maintenance, namely brushing out the chambers.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Oh brother...

Yes, it most certainly will shoot .38s, including +Ps. I urge you to go to the Taurus/Rossi web site and download the manual for that gun - chances are it's available on line.

With any Magnum revolver shooting shorter shells, there is a risk that a rind of deposits will build up short of the chamber mouth. If it's extensive, then you'll have difficulty loading the full-length Magnum ammo. The simple solution is just a tad more maintenance, namely brushing out the chambers.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    ^^^What he said.^^^

carry 38+P in mine. If you shoot .38 in the Rossi, be sure to clean the cylinder well after firing if you intend to also shoot .357. Since the .38 case is shorter it leaves a ton of residue in the cylinder and you will have a tough time inserting and ejecting .357 shells if you don't. They stick like glue.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I've shot the good daylights out of a Rossi .357 in Cowboy Action.
    It'll handle .38s just fine, as long as the bullet shape allows it to feed (round nose or flat point round nose work best)
    +110 on previous posters; cleaning that lead ring out of the chamber is a bloody nuisance. I feed mine .357s exclusively and avoid the problem by preventing the problem.
    Reckon I'm just lazy.
    hazard123 likes this.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I bought a Rossi 357 with 2" barrel and yes, the manual indicates to only shoot the specific round the gun is made to shoot. I'm assuming for the reasons noted by others, the dealer told me 38/357 are interchangeable ( in a 357 gun) and I have found no issues with either.
    hazard123 likes this.

I've had the "357 stuck in the chamber because of 38 spl gunk" in my Rossi 357. Word to the wise, do not let it happen. I couldn't get the spent cases to eject, and had to put all of my 260 lbs on the pushrod to get them out. Also, had one where the shell got lodged and the cylinder wouldn't rotate, scratching the plate where the firing pin protrudes through.

Keep it clean, should not have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravesfan319 View Post
    Rossi 357 Mag (r46202) ... Will it take the 38? or 38+P (or are those pretty much the same thing)?
    As others have said, it'll shoot both .357 Mag and .38 Special. I have the Rossi 972... .357 Mag, 6" barrel, similar size to a K-frame or GP100.

Quote Originally Posted by hazard123 View Post
    Keep it clean, should not have a problem.
    What he said.

I shoot 38 spl in my 357 all the time. You just need to make sure you clean it

The ultimate solution for me, since I handload, was to load .357 cases to a lower power level, approximating .38 spl loads. Makes for a very fun day at the range, and it saves me money.
    franco45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    I've had the "357 stuck in the chamber because of 38 spl gunk" in my Rossi 357. Word to the wise, do not let it happen. I couldn't get the spent cases to eject, and had to put all of my 260 lbs on the pushrod to get them out. Also, had one where the shell got lodged and the cylinder wouldn't rotate, scratching the plate where the firing pin protrudes through.
    Holy crap man! You're lucky you didn't end up with a bent/broken ejector rod or maybe a nice slice/gash or puncture wound in your paw. May I suggest that in the future you use a brass or wooden dowel to dive out the stuck case while making sure to support the cylinder preferably on a couple pieces of wood with a gap to allow the case to be driven out.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Links