new Bersa BP9CC review and comparison to Walther PPS (lots of pics)

This is a discussion on new Bersa BP9CC review and comparison to Walther PPS (lots of pics) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife liked my Glock 26 but the grip was a little too thick for her. So we looked for something similar but smaller overall. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: new Bersa BP9CC review and comparison to Walther PPS (lots of pics)

My wife liked my Glock 26 but the grip was a little too thick for her. So we looked for something similar but smaller overall.

The Bersa BP9CC kept popping up on the radar screen but it's a relatively new gun so there isn't a ton of info on the web. The few reviews I read were very favorable. I saw one at a recent gun show so I took a chance and grabbed it. So far she loves it. It's a polymer striker fired, single stack, pre-cocked DAO very concealable pistol. Ergos are great, recoil is mild, fit and finish are top notch. I started to do some more research on the company and they have a loyal following. Not surprising since they seem to put out a fine line of firearms at very reasonable prices. I was told in this forum that other popular Bersa designs were heavily influenced by Walther pistols. The BP9CC is Bersa's first polymer gun and appears to be the first designed from a clean sheet of paper. Interestingly enough I couldn't help but notice that wifey's new Bersa was almost identical in size to my Walther PPS. Of course I couldn't resist a tabletop comparison and a brief range comparison.

The Bersa takes an 8 round 9mm magazine. At this time it's the only option for this gun. It's closest in size to the PPS with the 7 round mag which is usually how I carry mine. My PPS is wearing the large backstrap in these pics but the Bersa has a slim grip that is smaller even than the PPS small backstrap.

The PPS is more versatile. With three mag choices it can be smaller than the Bersa, same or larger. Interesting to note though that with both pistols outfitted for 8 rounds the Bersa is smaller.

This is not meant to be a scientific analysis of dimensions, just a quickie tabletop comparison using serviceable but modest calipers.
    As you can see the slide of the PPS is slightly thinner while the grip of the Bersa is thinner.

I measured circumference from the web of my thumb in the pics to the underside of the trigger guard. As mentioned my PPS is wearing the large backstrap. I have largish hands and mainly I posted this pic to show the difference in grip. Although the Bersa grip is small I found it amazingly comfortable.

Here is the Bersa on top of the Walther. They are very close in dimension as you can see. If I were to put the small backstrap on the PPS they'd be almost identical.

Not everyone is a fan of the Walther mag release but it is a true ambidextrous release.
    The BP9CC also sports an ambidextrous mag release in a more traditional configuration. The button is accessible from either side. Nice touch!
    The polymer detail behind the mag release button is raised flush with the button to prevent accidental release. There are small grippy panels not only in the handgrip but on either side of the slide. These are great indexing points for your extended trigger finger on one side and thumbs forward grip on the other. This little gun has been well thought out.

How does it shoot? Well I only had time for a brief range session. I took the PPS and BP9CC and put 30 rounds through each. Initial impressions; for me they were both equally accurate. In fact my two groups were almost identical. Felt recoil was the same on both. I really didn't feel that one had more than the other. Both are what I consider soft shooters. A very interesting observation though... follow up shots with the Bersa were a dream. The slim profile allows me to get some serious purchase on the gun which made it easy to keep on target. But what made it even easier is the short reset. The BP9 trigger is good but the short reset is really good! It's not so short that I had to worry about accidental double taps but short enough for easy follow-up shots and fast bursts. The Bersa also has a lower bore axis.

My thoughts...
    I love my PPS and it's in no danger of being replaced. But this little Bersa has to be the value of the year. The Walther has a street price of around $500 but a short time ago had been selling for much more. The Bersa is available with 2 mags for $360. The fact that it can compete with the PPS on almost all levels and stay in an economical price range is impressive. I think this pistol can fill some voids in the current market. It may be a good solution for some people seeking a single stack Glock or a slightly larger (and much softer shooting) alternative to a Keltec PF9. It's definitely not a pocket pistol (for me) but it is a very concealable pistol that allows a full grip.

The Bersa comes with 3 dot sights. The sight situation is a little funky. The Bersa takes a Sig front sight and Glock rear sight. Not as bad as it sounds. Dawson Precision sells tritium and fiber optic front sights for the BP9CC. I'd probably just replace the front but they sell matching rear sights as well.

The Bersa has a magazine safety (won't fire without mag in gun) and also a manual safety which is visible on the right side of the slide. A small key is provided to switch the gun between safe and fire. Of course you don't need to use this if you don't want to.

The Walther has removable backstraps. The gun will not fire without a backstrap. I see no reason to remove them but to each his own.

The Bersa comes in a standard version and nickel finish slide version. I can't attest to the durability of the finish yet. The Walther's metal parts are tenifer treated for corrosion resistance.

Based on this experience I've taken a look at the rest of the Bersa line and have been equally impressed. I have no doubt I'll be adding one of their models to my safe.

Last edited by photoshooter; September 3rd, 2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added more details

Thank you for the review/comparison. I had tried to look into the bersa, but could not find it in stores or much info on the internet. I do have a pps so the comparison really helps me compare the bersa.

What is on the pps grips? Is that a decal grip type product?

I've had the BP9CC for several months, and you have hit on all of the strong points very well.

Excellent write-up, great pics, and well-done post. A+ and grab a cookie for your prize!

The only negative that you failed to mention, is that they are not easily found. At any point in time there may be one or two on the gun broker site, but local gun stores are mostly totally in the dark about when, or if they will receive any of the BP series. That's not really a negative, but it's the only complaint I have. I have been looking for a second BP9CC for 2 months now!

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
    Interestingly enough I couldn't help but notice that wifey's new Bersa was almost identical in size to my Walther PPS. Of course I couldn't resist a tabletop comparison and a brief range comparison.
    Excellent write up and pics. Thanks for both. I will have to get my hands on one for the range.

What is on the pps grips? Is that a decal grip type product?

I've been using Tractiongrips. I prefer the black rubberized stuff but they have the grit version too.
    I also bought additional "universal" grip panels for the backstrap and finger grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    I have been looking for a second BP9CC for 2 months now!
    Davidson's Gallery of Guns has both the black and two tone.
    Since you gave me a cookie I figured I'd return the favor
    zonker1986 likes this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Nice gun. Did you ever consider the Firestorm (made by Bersa)? I understand Firestorm owners are crazy loyal about this underrated gun.

Oops, I just tried to Google. Looks like they may be out of business and/or only producing 22s and 380s now. Too bad.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I think I would love the BP9CC, but one thing prevents me from getting it and carrying it. That is the magazine disconnect. I'm sure that, and the key lock, is a result of importation points so I understand. I could live with the key lock, but I've carried firearms with the mag disconnect and have had problems with them, and I won't alter safety devices that are put there by the manufacture; that's just too much fodder for attorneys. Regardless, the mag disconnect appears to be part of the trigger system and not easily removed or defeted in this particular firearm.

Sponsor
    I have both the Walther PPS and the Bersa BP9CC also.
    I would agree with everything you said but add there has been an issue(though not widely talked about) with the roll pin used to retain an internal spring working loose and causing a dead trigger.

This is directly related to the magazine disconnect, which was/is my only issue with the Bersa. It's easily and quickly repaired but it is weak point in the design.

I'm posting from my phone so searching for my thread isn't the easiest. I do have a thread here with pics and links to other info regarding this issue.

Found it
    Calling all BP9CC owners!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Good info, thanks.
    I'll keep a eye out for any funny stuff.

photoshooter, very impressive comparison & contrast btwn BP9cc & PPS9. Qualified CHL w/PPS9. I really like the trigger guard mag release but was never really comfortable w/grip even using sm backstrap. I've found no negatives w/my BP9cc... and far less expensive than PPS.

... 2 cents
    USMC/Army Ret, NRA/TSRA/TxCCA/USCCA/TX CHL; CA .40 Pitbull Revolver, XD40sc, PPQ40, Stoeger Cougar 8040F, Taurus PT745 Pro/PT140 Pro/TCP738FS, EMP9, M&P9c, G4G30 & G4G19 both w/TruGlo TFOs, Bersa BP9cc, KelTec PF9, 12 ga Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser

My BP9CC is back at Bersa for the second time. All of the things the OP said about it are true as long as you use round nose ammo (FMJ). It will not feed the second and third rounds from a full magazine if you use hollow points; they catch on the front edge of the magazine.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
    My BP9CC is back at Bersa for the second time. All of the things the OP said about it are true as long as you use round nose ammo (FMJ). It will not feed the second and third rounds from a full magazine if you use hollow points; they catch on the front edge of the magazine.
    That sux! I keep mag loaded w/hollow points when it's my CCW but only fired FMJ at the shooting range.

Anybody else have this issue w/hollow points?
    USMC/Army Ret, NRA/TSRA/TxCCA/USCCA/TX CHL; CA .40 Pitbull Revolver, XD40sc, PPQ40, Stoeger Cougar 8040F, Taurus PT745 Pro/PT140 Pro/TCP738FS, EMP9, M&P9c, G4G30 & G4G19 both w/TruGlo TFOs, Bersa BP9cc, KelTec PF9, 12 ga Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser

A note about Hollow Points:
    Off the shelf bulk JHP causes repetitive FTF. I measured the ammunition and found this to be caused by the ammunition either being 9x20-21 or 9x17. The Bersa likes 9x19 a LOT. You should have no issues feeding Hornedy Critical Defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links