Recommendations please?

Recommendations please?

This is a discussion on Recommendations please? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to the site, so hello everyone. Need some help. I currently own an SR9, which I very much enjoy, but in my opinion it's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommendations please?

New to the site, so hello everyone. Need some help. I currently own an SR9, which I very much enjoy, but in my opinion it's a bit too long of a grip to be a main carry weapon. Since I liked the SR9 so much, I figured I'd just get the SR9c for carrying and all would be well. Alas, it was not. The grip on the SR9c seemed too short, and I didn't feel comfortable or that I could get a decent enough grip with it.

So my question is, is there anything out there that has maybe a slightly longer grip compared to the 9c, but not nearly as long as the 9? I tried the Glock 26 first and it was the same problem as the 9c, maybe even a bit worse.

Thanks to everyone.

Are you trying them with the flush fit mags or with the pinky extensions? I find that when you add the pinky extensions it makes most "subcompact" firearms quite comfortable and manageable. Almost to the point that the grip feels full size but the slide/barrel is still compact
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

I'm not sure how much research you have done on the subject, but this is common with sub-compacts. Perhaps you may want to consider a Pearce grip extension? Not sure about the Ruger, but I know they make them for the Glock. I have them for my XD9sc and they make a world of difference.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

The SR9c had the pinky extension. I think the 26 did too, but I don't remember for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ckfarris View Post
    Are you trying them with the flush fit mags or with the pinky extensions? I find that when you add the pinky extensions it makes most "subcompact" firearms quite comfortable and manageable. Almost to the point that the grip feels full size but the slide/barrel is still compact
    The problem is magnified on barrel length if it is carried OWB vs IWB. In general I prefer to be able to carry both methods and as such I went with a compact. The other issues that it helps to have a shorter grip when carrying concealed (depending on where on one's body the pistol is carried). I run the M&P 9C with the 12 round magazine (can hold most people's pinky) but with my body that is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser419 View Post
    The SR9c had the pinky extension. I think the 26 did too, but I don't remember for sure.
    So you've tried a couple sub-compacts with the pinkie extensions and they still felt too short? Do you have really large hands? I have average hands. I have a couple sub-compacts and I use the flush mags. It took just a little bit of handling and shooting to get used to the feel. I have shot ones with the extended mags and they felt almost about full sized.

the pistol comes with the extension which should make the gun more than comfortable for you pinky. If not, practice
    shooting the gun with your pinky wrapped under the grip. There were not always extensions for the really small subcompacts, and we made do just find. Practice.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Consider a CZ 75 Compact. It has a compact frame with plenty of room for a full grip, especially if you get the rubber magazine base pads. While the gun is 9 oz heavier than the SRc, you get 4 more shots and substantially less recoil. If an addition 9 oz is too much, you can shave off 5 oz of this increase by opting for one of the alloy-framed compact versions of the CZ 75 -- the P-01 or the PCR.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I have small hands and couldn't get my pinky on the grip of my SR9c without the pinky extension. But I found the hookishness (I think I just made up a word) of the extension to be overdone and made the gun a bit harder to conceal, so I modified the extension. Ground it down and now has more of a M&P compact pinky extension to it. My pinky comes right to be bottom of the ground down extension.

SWEET! Ruger should have designed it this way!

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    I have small hands and couldn't get my pinky on the grip of my SR9c without the pinky extension. But I found the hookishness (I think I just made up a word) of the extension to be overdone and made the gun a bit harder to conceal, so I modified the extension. Ground it down and now as more of a M&P compact pinky extension to it. My pinky comes right to be bottom of the ground down extension.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    So you've tried a couple sub-compacts with the pinkie extensions and they still felt too short? Do you have really large hands? I have average hands. I have a couple sub-compacts and I use the flush mags. It took just a little bit of handling and shooting to get used to the feel. I have shot ones with the extended mags and they felt almost about full sized.
    Yah it's hard to explain. My pinkie fits on the extension, it just doesn't feel like I can get the gun to sit in my hand and fully grip the gun. Which surprised me with the 9c because it's basically the same gun as the 9, just a little shorter in the grip and barrel, but while the 9 feels like it's in my hand, the 9c doesn't.

Distinguished Member
    I have an M&P compact that I love the size for carrying, - the gun just doesn't print. But I find it a little uncomfortable when shooting. The grip is missing right at the bottom of my palm and it just gets a little annoying, that and I believe my accuracy suffers a little too. I have just gotten a glock compact - a G23 -it is really nice for me. I get a full grip but the pistol is almost compact. Yes, I will loose a little concealablity but I find the longer I carry the more I realize if its covered, no one notices anyway.

For me I have come to find I would rather have a full grip than sacrafice for a little more concealability. Plus its a glock - which I recently realized is actually a really good gun, lol.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Sounds like that may be my issue as well. I looked at the 23 and saw that the 19 is the same gun, just 9mm vs. .40, so I may have to test drive the 19. Not the prettiest gun, but if it gets the job done, that's the important thing.

Just wish the thing had a manual safety, just in case....

Edit: Did some research last night, and as well as the Glock 19, I also thought the Springfield XDM 9mm compact might be worht looking at too. And maybe after some comments here maybe I'll try holding the 9c with the pinky off the grip, see if that makes a difference.

Try the Springfield XD models. They have a grip safety if that is a concern for you. The pearce grip extension on my XD40sc made it feel like a full size gun in my hand. Here are some pics with the extension and without.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I'm kind of confused. From the way I understand what your saying is that the grip on the SR9c allows you to get a full grip on it but the grip is to long for CC. The SR9C has the shorter grip but your not able to get a full grip on it. If that's not what you mean feel free to correct me. If that IS what you mean then...well.. Yeah. Of course. It sounds like you need to make a decision between a gun that is more comfortable for you to shoot and hold (the SR9 size) but you will have to make concessions in concealabilty or a gun that is more concealable (the sr9c size) but less comfortable to shoot and hold.

For what it's worth, I didn't like sub compact frame guns when i first tried them either. I couldn't get over not having my pinky on the grip. After shooting one a few times I started to not even notice.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links