Question concerning legality of purchase - Page 2

Question concerning legality of purchase

This is a discussion on Question concerning legality of purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In CA, "LEO only" means any firearm that works....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Question concerning legality of purchase

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    In CA, "LEO only" means any firearm that works.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Welcome to the Jungle, sorry I mean Forum!

NO you can't purchase the firearm in California unless it is on the list. Case in point, an Officer just retire from the PD and his must turn in his M-4 that he purchased via his LE status. Please note it is NOT a full auto gun and he has his years in for a life time carry permit in Mexi-Fornia! He is even retiring in Arizona where the M-4 is legal and he can't keep it.

Of course there are those LAPD SWAT officers who will buy you one for a fee! See link: LAPD SWAT investigated for re-selling guns for profit | abc7.com

I don't know what you're looking for but both the M & P Shield and Ruger LCP-9 is available.
    That's the thing that's stopped me from buying it from the second shop when he told me the whole used gun situation being legal. But the first shop had a shield and told me I couldn't even look at it because it was against the law for him. Idk. That was only 2 weeks ago. I give up. I'm just going to stick with what I have. I can't wait to leave this communist state

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    From my experience only. Leo only guns exist in CA due to their normal/hi cap mags. The gun is exactly the same sans magazine.
    While LEOs can carry High Cap Magazine and any pistols or firearm can be purchased through the agency with written approval.

However a citizen of Mexi-Fornia can only purchase DOJ approved firearms. Case in point my PPS can only holds 8 rounds of 9MM, but you can't buy it in California, but you can buy my EDC and H & K P2000 SK. The Judge and Govenator are not legal in California as they are classified a short barrel shotgun! Most manufacturers have CA & MA legal guns, but not all firearms with 10 rounds or less are legal in California!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Correct, my point was the only difference between Leo only and citizen allowed on the DOJ list is magazine capacity.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XxWoodsHunterxX View Post
    That's the thing that's stopped me from buying it from the second shop when he told me the whole used gun situation being legal. But the first shop had a shield and told me I couldn't even look at it because it was against the law for him. Idk. That was only 2 weeks ago. I give up. I'm just going to stick with what I have. I can't wait to leave this communist state
    Seems you're suffering LGS Bovine Exterment! Here is a link to Bud's which has the California Legal M & P Shield:

Smith & Wesson 187021 M&P Sheild *California Approved* 9mm 3

If you need help on buying from out of state dealer, PM me and I give you some help.
    oneshot likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

You had my head spinning..... so then I was trying to figure out where in the bejesus you lived. There is NO such thing as an LEO and non-LEO gun, nor is there "it's on the list" , or "not on the list" ..... in the rest of the free world. Not here anyway. It's a handgun, or it's not.... that's pretty much IT. You might want to move to "freedom" and get out while you can.

Holy Cow.... Good luck with all that stuff.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    You had my head spinning..... so then I was trying to figure out where in the bejesus you lived. There is NO such thing as an LEO and non-LEO gun, nor is there "it's on the list" , or "not on the list" ..... in the rest of the free world. Not here anyway. It's a handgun, or it's not.... that's pretty much IT. You might want to move to "freedom" and get out while you can.

Holy Cow.... Good luck with all that stuff.
    Welcome to my life. Yes in commiefornia we have what's called a DOJ CA approved list for buying guns. Sucks but unfortunately there are more liberals in this state without a back bone then there are conservatives. All these laws only hurt the law abiding citizens because criminals don't follow the rules anyhow but they don't understand that. I only have a couple more years and I'm out of this horrid state

Wow, no Gen4 Glocks certified as of today. That's amazing... It's a bit scary to think that you need to check a roster to see whether or not a specific gun that is legal nearly everywhere else is legal in California.

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

If you check the Roster of Handguns Certified each weapon has an expiration date. Question I have for California is if one owns a gun on the approved list and at a future date it is taken off the list do you have to turn the gun in??
    Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale - Firearms Division - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Well I said screw it and pre ordered my s&w shield 9mm. Tired of trying to figure what's legal and what's not. Shop said they'll be here sometime in November.

VIP Member
    Not that this is the final distilation of truth or anything, but it has a lot of info you may want to research.
    They seemed knowledgeable in most things technical in dealing with THAT states laws., in reference to firearms.

California Approved Handgun List - THR

All the other links pertaining to the DOJ firearms list would not load on my computer.
    I could get to the State of Califirnia website, but the closest I could come was the laboratories which they had approved of to test the prospective firearms for approval.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    If you check the Roster of Handguns Certified each weapon has an expiration date. Question I have for California is if one owns a gun on the approved list and at a future date it is taken off the list do you have to turn the gun in??
    So this is what I have found over time, If it is no longer on the list it can't be sold NEW. And as far as what the LE issuer for CCW said you can't use it as a carry weapon. As far as turning it in NO

Thought you out of state guys would get a kick out of this also. This is now what California requires all new handguns sold here to have. It is suppose to be visible from some distance. LOLImageUploadedByTapatalk1347800633.425198.jpg

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XxWoodsHunterxX View Post
    Thought you out of state guys would get a kick out of this also. This is now what California requires all new handguns sold here to have. It is suppose to be visible from some distance. LOLImageUploadedByTapatalk1347800633.425198.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links