Question concerning legality of purchase

This is a discussion on Question concerning legality of purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got my CCW and am tired of carrying around a m&p40, little to big for concealment. So as I have been looking for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Question concerning legality of purchase

I recently got my CCW and am tired of carrying around a m&p40, little to big for concealment. So as I have been looking for a smaller gun it seems that the ones I am looking for or like happen to be LEO only so they won't even let me see hem. By my question is a dealler told me that as long as the gun is not new they can sell me a LEO only gun or that I can buy one from a LEO used. Is this true? I would like a small shield or xds but don't want to get into trouble. I have friends and family that are LE and have guns they don't use and would be willing to sell if it is ok to sell to me. I keep getting conflicting answers so I thought this would be the place to ask.

Charles

I want to add some of the guns I could get are from other states would that be a problem? I know when I first went in for my CCW the lady was busting my chops about my gun being on the cary list, She said something about off list guns might not be able to carry on my CCW? Kinda confused on that issue also

Welcome to the forum on this Labor Day 2012!

Legalities? In California? Well.......I'm not sure what your state has in store for you concerning firearms. My guess is the magazine restrictions. Most LEO weapons are sold new with hi-cap (or standard capacity) magazines in box. A used LE firearm might be sold without magazines to a civilian or with appropriate legal magazines. I figure you've been asking about brand new package deals. California is kinda twisted IMO......and the entire rest of the country has it's own twists as well. Just my thinking on what you've explained. I do consider myself lucky not to have to worry about such things. That being the case........I do however sympathize with your predicament. Good luck.

On your subsequent post (you can edit original if you know how)............guns from other states? I'm sure you'll need to go through an FFL or licensed dealer in your state. Carry list? Not sure what that is myself either. No surprise really.........Cali really has their taxpayers grabbing their socks I guess. I have no good reason to pray for California nor ask the Almighty to forgive. But I can pray for all of you there that have been stripped of your national rights.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to your question, DO NOT take anything your told on any forum, as legal advice. The best information for your question would probably come from a CA gun rights forum, and most accurate will come from a CA lawyer who specializes in firearms issues.
    OD*, BkCo1 and Bad Bob like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    California is a "special" state unlike any other.You dont have the rights or freedoms that the rest of the states do, they are gone forever. No one can really say what is legal there except for another resident of California and the laws change so much that even they could be wrong.

I wouldnt trust any advice on the internet. I'd go to the attorney generals website and get the straight scoop.
    GH likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    California is a "special" state unlike any other.You dont have the rights or freedoms that the rest of the states do, they are gone forever. No one can really say what is legal there except for another resident of California and the laws change so much that even they could be wrong.

I wouldn't trust any advice on the internet. I'd go to the attorney generals website and get the straight scoop.
    Yeah...that's good advice as well. Thing is.........websites are on the internet. Around here a government website might not get updated but once or twice a year with up-to-date info. Realize it's taxpayer dollars funding the source to begin with. I would opt for calling by phone and asking your questions from the authorities.....asking for a fax or reference and getting the name of the person you talked with on the matter. That ought to take up a half day's time. Remember also.....that plenty of folks in high offices will need to look up the current laws themselves before they answer your questions. Unlimited talk plan or long distance would be good to have. Once you get a cold, hard answer......you'll need to follow up with a second opinion of whomever supervises the person you talked to. You may end up in line at the governor's house. This might not be a bad thing........maybe you'll get a full pardon and deputized on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by XxWoodsHunterxX View Post
    I recently got my CCW and am tired of carrying around a m&p40, little to big for concealment. So as I have been looking for a smaller gun it seems that the ones I am looking for or like happen to be LEO only so they won't even let me see hem. By my question is a dealler told me that as long as the gun is not new they can sell me a LEO only gun or that I can buy one from a LEO used. Is this true? I would like a small shield or xds but don't want to get into trouble. I have friends and family that are LE and have guns they don't use and would be willing to sell if it is ok to sell to me. I keep getting conflicting answers so I thought this would be the place to ask.

Charles
    I'm sorry, but it's news to me that such a list even exists. I wasn't aware that a "law enforcement only" gun was a real thing. I even serched for the gun list itself, and also rules on buying a LEO-only gun, but I couldn't find either. I'm afraid I can't be of any help.

Thank you for the help I understand i am not going to take advise from the Internet or a forum as law. Just thought would see what others opinions are or info others had. Yes unfortunately kommifornia as I call it, is a special state and the laws here are unreal. My Main concern is if one shop says they can't even show me a gun in the case but yet another one will let me check it out and says if it's used he'll sell it to me am I going to get in trouble. But I'll try calguns forum since they deal with California issues

VIP Member
    ArmyMan, sgb and cn262 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Glad that you were able to get your CCW and hope that it is recognized in your entire state. California is problematic for guns. You definitely need to find some local legal advice on the matter. Where I live there is not a difference between what police carry and what we carry with regard to hand guns. I hope that you search finds the answer that you are looking for.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Welcome to the Jungle, sorry I mean Forum!

NO you can't purchase the firearm in California unless it is on the list. Case in point, an Officer just retire from the PD and his must turn in his M-4 that he purchased via his LE status. Please note it is NOT a full auto gun and he has his years in for a life time carry permit in Mexi-Fornia! He is even retiring in Arizona where the M-4 is legal and he can't keep it.

Of course there are those LAPD SWAT officers who will buy you one for a fee! See link: LAPD SWAT investigated for re-selling guns for profit | abc7.com

I don't know what you're looking for but both the M & P Shield and Ruger LCP-9 is available.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    'Woods,

Calaveras County is a far cry from San Bernardino, but I still think you would like the Blue Ridge... our only regret in moving was that we didn't do it decades earlier.

Just so this is vaguely related to the thread: by all means get official opinions rather than local gun shops, local cops, or the good folks here. You're LIKELY to get good advice, certainly, but the cost of being wrong is pretty high to place bets based on what you find here. Wishing you the best.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

From my experience only. Leo only guns exist in CA due to their normal/hi cap mags. The gun is exactly the same sans magazine. You can not import any gun not on the CA DOJ approved handgun list. Sites usually say, check your laws before you buy, but I doubt they would not check themselves about the legality of shipping to Ca.

Congrats on your permit. They seem rare in certain places. Glad your LEO agency has the right mindset.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I know the M&P Shield was added to the approved list back in July-not sure about the XDs though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links