opinion on hammer fired or striker fired handguns for carry - Page 2

opinion on hammer fired or striker fired handguns for carry

This is a discussion on opinion on hammer fired or striker fired handguns for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by nedrgr21 Not following you on this - what are you getting at? With a striker fired gun, if the round does not ...

View Poll Results: which more reliable hammer or striker fired for carry?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hammer fired

59 46.09%
  • Striker fired

69 53.91%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: opinion on hammer fired or striker fired handguns for carry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Not following you on this - what are you getting at?
    With a striker fired gun, if the round does not go off, you have to eject the round and bring the next round into the chamber. With a hammer fired gun, you can thumb the hammer back and fire the gun again. If the round happened to have a hard primer, or you had a light strike, chances are it will fire the second time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    In your opinion which one and why would be more reliable for carry striker fired or Hammer fired?

yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I didn't vote in the poll. I couldn't objectively. All mechanical things can fail. Add Murphy's law and you have what we all know to be the status quo.
    RamRod, yes I here you but that's ok I voted for striker fired carry.. That would be a Glock 36 or 27. I think I remember you carried a G23?

Senior Moderator
    Although I have carried both and continue to do so, I like hammer fireds better.

Second strike capabaility is much quicker,should a round fail to go bang.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Reliability isn't determined by the action type."

That. I carry both; both are reliable as mechanical items can be.
    oneshot likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If a round doesn't go bang, I want it out of my gun - on to the next one, ammo's cheap (relatively).

If the gun doesn't go bang, TRB(R) - covers all contingencies, gun or ammo malf.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfyULpEhmug

I like Clint.
    EdC and 10thmtn like this.

VIP Member
    You needed option 3;
    Either or.
    To me it doesn't make a difference.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Did not vote on this one... the premise is not correct. This has nothing to do with reliability. My 2 carry pistols are the Glock 26 and the Beretta px4 C, so I carry both types.

I wont vote because Im kinda biased but only because my only gun (as of right now) is striker fired. I bought my Glock because I couldnt afford a USP. I really like shooting the hammer fired rentals especialy DAs. I think a revolver or 1911 will be on my list for next handgun. As far as reliability of one vs the other, I am not experienced enough to comment.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Both are reliable.

i voted striker. although, in lab conditions i don't think there is a difference. the only reason i lean towards striker fire is the one in a million chance you end up with some type of debris in the hammer area of that system it could cause a malfunction or ftf.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    With a striker fired gun, if the round does not go off, you have to eject the round and bring the next round into the chamber.
    Not true, the slide can be pulled rearward far enough to reset the trigger, allowing you to give it another primer strike, although I don't know any legit, well trained person who would keep trying to fire a dud round in a self defense situation.

With a hammer fired gun, you can thumb the hammer back and fire the gun again. If the round happened to have a hard primer, or you had a light strike, chances are it will fire the second time.
    Again, not true. Cocking the hammer would only be required for a Single Action Only gun. Once again, why in the world would you want to take your chances with a restrike? Don't waste your time with methods on the practice range that you wouldn't use in a gunfight, after all, we will fight like we've trained.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Reliability isn't determined by the action type.

Some pistols have a better reputation than others, for reliability. It has nothing to do with the action type, but rather the quality of engineering and manufacturing/assembly. And none are malfunction-proof.
    I disagree. While it is always better to buy a quality firearm of any type, the striker type system is less prone to failure.

The design of a hammer fired pistol requires a timing and leverage element that doesn't exist in striker fired guns because of their straight line cocking.

In a hammer fire gun the slide must knock back the hammer. Depending on spring tension, slide weight, the leverage point (where the slide actually hits the hammer) and a host of other factors there is a much higher probability of mechanical failure. The hammer can be knocked back too much or too little. I've seen plenty of guns that should work but just weren't timed or sprung correctly.

The hammer gun is, quite simply, a much more complicated machine with more probability of failure.

Now quality is quality of course and there are hundreds of proven hammer fired desings, but that doesn't mean they are truly equal.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Reliability isn't determined by the action type."

That. I carry both; both are reliable as mechanical items can be.
    I agree 100%!

eb
    I carry both. The size, weight, and caliber of the gun are what I care about. I rarely buy based on the firing mechanism unless its special in some way (ie not DA/SA or striker)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links