opinion on hammer fired or striker fired handguns for carry - Page 4

opinion on hammer fired or striker fired handguns for carry

This is a discussion on opinion on hammer fired or striker fired handguns for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like hammer fired guns becasue I can cock the hammer and use it as a SA. Both are reliable...

View Poll Results: which more reliable hammer or striker fired for carry?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hammer fired

59 46.09%
  • Striker fired

69 53.91%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: opinion on hammer fired or striker fired handguns for carry

Senior Moderator
    I like hammer fired guns becasue I can cock the hammer and use it as a SA. Both are reliable
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I didn't vote because I don't know the difference between hammer or striker fired.

FWIW I carry an XD and am confident in it.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I'm going to have to vote C, they are equally reliable. I prefer the consistent trigger pull of a striker fired pistol. You can get some hammer fired pistols that have the same trigger pull but they are usually the more expensive option for that model pistol. As for a double strike capability with the hammer fired, I'm not going to pull the trigger a second time if the round doesn't go off. I'm going to immediately clear the round and get a new one in the chamber.
    Tayopo likes this.

I prefer a DA/SA --- the CZs or Sigs

Evening Remington: May I ask how would you do that, if you had one hand occupied or injured? Also while a bit of cloth or what ever could soften a hamer blow enough to cause a misfire, I feel far safer with an external hammer -

"I don trust no stinkin safety" !

Don Jose de La Mancha

Tayopo, you can hook the rear sights on the sole of your boot, a belt loop, anything that will hold the slide in place while you push the pistol forward. I don't own one but that is something I hate about a lot of 1911 sights. They are all sloped in the front so you can't hook them on anything to help with a one handed clearing. It is good to get in the habit of going to your immediate action drill instead of trying to pull the trigger again. The round could be misfed, a dud round, a hard primer, anything really. The best course of action isn't to waste time pulling the trigger again on something that is (lack of better wording) broken. Get the bad round out of there and get a fresh one in. If it is a misfeed (won't work for a double feed) you'll clear that at the same time.

i carry s&w 340pd. carry what you feel most comfortable with. modern manufacturing made them both reliable

I prefer hammers although I have never shot a striker fired gun, I have friends that have. One M&P 9mm owner told me although the M&P was the most comfortable hand gun he has had, the trigger however, made his finger sore after a mag worth of shooting. He later sold the M&P. I told him about the 1992 CZ-75 Pre B that I had. He checked it out and bought a CZ-75 like mine and soon will have a CZ-75B SP-01. All hammer fired and double action or cocked and locked single action. I carry a Sig P-220 for my CCW Now all this says that I carry hammer guns because that is all I have and don't need to buy another gun, but I do prefer John Browning to the Glock god.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I really don't have a preference. Either one works for me

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Either or, both are tools in the box and work well. Dry fire and practice are a must to learn the nuances of going from first to second shot with DA/SA, but easy enough to learn and master.

I like my Glocks and M&Ps, but Sigs make good pistols also,,,,
    Double action pistols,,, I seem to shot worse scores,,,, maybe
    just me.

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Voted for striker fired only because some hammer fired pistols now have MIM parts that can shatter or lose their sharp edge (SIG, Kimber, et. al.) Not that I am comforted by S&W's use of plastic parts in their striker fire triggers (M&P, SD-VE), mind you. But for equally all metal part striker fire versus hammer fire - depends on the trigger pull, trigger reach, trigger shape, trigger reset and trigger type. The better feeling trigger system wins.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i vote hammer but only because i prefer it. both can be made reliable.

DA hammer guns can do a second strike and the gun can be decocked and then cocked again if you wish, the only striker gun i know that can do the same is the p99AS and it's copies.

hammer fired guns also have more potential for a crisp clean trigger but in a combat pistol you prob wont notice the difference.

in a hammer gun the sear and hammer hook are both in the frame so their location is more consistent where is a striker gun the sear is in the frame and the "hook" is in the slide. since there will always be some wobble in the slide the sear engagement wont be as consistent.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links