1911 price?

This is a discussion on 1911 price? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ive never shot, or even picked up a 1911. i think they look really nice, and are supposed to be fun to shoot. i was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1911 price?

1911 price?

ive never shot, or even picked up a 1911. i think they look really nice, and are supposed to be fun to shoot. i was browsing hyatt gun today looking at the 1911 and they are really expensive. i mean for anything other that a .22 its like $500-600 and the cheapest. can anyone give me some explanations on why they are so expensnve and what are the top brands to choose from? thanks for any replies.
    ruger91

NRA member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Go shoot one and it may answer a few questions for you from the get go.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member
    $500+ is pretty much what a large caliber, all metal pistol costs these days. By comparison with other types of pistols, a 1911 is a bit more on the complex side, mechanically speaking and achieving reliability means paying more attention to the tolerances of more parts. Want better fit and finish (a prettier gun) and the price goes higher. A 1911 by one of the top brands will generally be close to $1000 or more (look at Colt, Springfield, Sig Sauer, etc). That being said, there are less expensive options that are actually pretty good. RIA (Rock island Armory) markets a number of 1911 models in the $350-$450 range that are quite reliable and a pleasure to shoot, lacking only in the "fit and finish" department.

It's not only 1911's that demand a premium price for fit and finish. I recently purchased a pair of Sig P238 Equinox pistols... .380 guns that cost more than $550 each with a wait time of many weeks due to the high demand.

Also consider the political atmosphere... it's an election year with plenty of questions regarding potential gun control issues, so prices of firearms and ammunition inflate relative to the "fear factor".

I would suggest that if you just want to buy a 1911 to take to the range and enjoy without breaking the bank, look for an RIA. Then decide if you want to take the next step into a higher grade firearm by one of the bigger names. You'll easily get your money back on the RIA.

Best luck with whatever you choose!
    JerryMac and sensei2 like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

thanks for the replies whoppa and c hawk
    ruger91

NRA member

Administrator
    Buy a high quality 1911 and you'll always get a good portion of your money back if you ever decide to sell it and you keep it in nice condition & don't bugger it all up.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

My personal preference for quality overall is kimber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger91 View Post
    ive never shot, or even picked up a 1911. i think they look really nice, and are supposed to be fun to shoot. i was browsing hyatt gun today looking at the 1911 and they are really expensive. i mean for anything other that a .22 its like $500-600 and the cheapest. can anyone give me some explanations on why they are so expensnve and what are the top brands to choose from? thanks for any replies.

Fit , Finish, Features.

All of these ( as well as Brand Name ) affect the price.

A $400 1911 will probably function fine in the short term , but may not prove reliable or durable over time.

When the 1911 was first produced by Colt there was much "handfitting" of parts , and inspection several times during assembly.

This is not true of most mass produced 1911's made today.

The old rule of thumb was that a new quality handgun should cost at least a week's pay.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Fit , Finish, Features.

The old rule of thumb was that a new quality handgun should cost at least a week's pay.
    Everyone I have purchased cost at a minimum this amount.

If you think the price of one is expense, wait until you buy it. I don't know anyone who owns just one 1911 Those things multiply like rabbits.
    pir8fan, ruger91, deadguy and 3 others like this.

/\ This...Just paid for my first, a Colt commander XSE.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    If you think the price of one is expense, wait until you buy it. I don't know anyone who owns just one 1911 Those things multiply like rabbits.
    I agree completely. Once you've owned your first, the only question remaining is how may you'll eventually own. And I don't mean that you'll keep trading them in. Right now I'm up to 4. Kimber Ultra Carry II, Taurus PT1911, Rock Island Armory and Springfield.

haha sounds expensive. thanks for all the feedback
    ruger91

NRA member

what are some good manfucturers of 1911s? i know some of them like colt,remington, s&w, sig, kimber, nighthawk. i know of a few other that are supposed to be good but what about tuarus, american tactical imports,auto ordnance,para ordnance? ado any of them make good, reliable 1911s. thanks for any replies
    ruger91

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Where they are made has a bit to do with the price point as well.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I have a Colt and am planing to buy a Spingfield and a Kimber this week. The 1911 is very addictive but a lot of fun. You can just feel the quality in them when you pick them up and when you shoot them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links