Defensive Carry banner

Paid for my Colt today

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  ghost tracker 
#1 ·
For those that have not seen my other posts I will provide a bit of background.

I carried an LC9 and a S&W 442 as a bug. Liked the LC9, loved and still love the 442. I have been interested in the 1911 platform for many reasons, nostalgia, function, beauty, options, caliber etc, etc. I let my wife know I wanted one and was going to be spending a fair chunk of change to get one, IF she did not get one for me. My birthday was last month and I did not receive a 1911. I am limited in options for a variety of reasons the least of which is the dumb CA DOJ list of approved handguns. As this would be for carry purposes I also knew I did not want a full length (5") barrel. I looked in the RIA line as they are less expensive and readily available. I looked into the Kimbers as Bass Pro had a bunch in the counter. I looked up the Springfield loaded, the Ruger varieties and finally through the convincing and help of a few fine folks on here decided that of what I could get I would go for the Colt Commander XSE, 4.25" barrel.

I was at Bass filling out paperwork on a Marlin 336W that I was purchasing and looking through the add noticed an LC9 with a laser for $399. I mentioned that I had one without the laser and the gentleman helping me said "We can not keep them on the shelves, we are turning away people constantly". Moments after this a guy asks another employee about the LC9, he responded in kind and the guy started to walk off. Talk about divine intervention! I introduced myself, gave the guy my card and said " I have an LC9 for sale if you are interested. I decided that after a trip to the range and shooting a variety of friends' guns I was going to replace the LC9. Didn't really consider selling it, but knew I wanted to replace it as my main carry piece. So long story longer, I sold the guy my LC9, 2 extra mags (3 total) a Crossbreed supertuck, and a box of 124 gr gold sabers for $400 :wave:. Both of us happy. SO with $400 in my pocket and going towards my Colt I called a place in PA today and bought it. Should be at my FFL Friday (ish):danceban: Then 10 days later I will be able to bring it home. I will post the pics when I get it, and will attempt to snap a few when at my FFL.

Thanks to all for helping in my decision. Glockmann, GeorgiaDawg! JD and OD (indirectly, reading all your posts and wisdom). Only concern is that it will take a while, I assume, to get it listed on my permit. Now I need a holster. I carry IWB and I doubt it will take as long as the wait for a Milt Sparks, but any other suggestions on that subject would be welcomed. Also any suggestions for grips and all the other fancy things that you personally like that may enhance it for carrying purposes.

See less See more
#2 ·
Photos! Photos! Real Colt guns need to be viewed!

Good choice.

Hey, try getting on Ebay or GunBroker and studying all the 1911 grips that are offered for sale. You're bound to find something that "floats your boat."

#4 ·
I promise to post photos as soon as it comes in. More detailed when I get to bring her home. I owe y'all that at the very least for all the help. I am indebted to the knowledge of all. Also need to swing a range trip for my unfired 336W. How horrible would that be to have to shoot my new lever action AND Colt 1911?!?!?!?

#8 ·
Congrats on your decision...you're going to love that 1911.:yup:

Remember::worthless:

#12 ·
Congrats! I'm sure you'll love it!

If you don't want to wait for months for the MS VMII, you can get it here (gunbroker.com seller page) from Allan Yoast as an authorized distributor, like I did. Paid a few bucks more but I got it in less than a week.

Can't wait for the pics!

#13 ·
Well my FFL called me too late!!! Darn ups!!!!!!!! Was hoping to meet my Colt today and start the hurry up and wait period to bring her home, but to no avail...lucky for me he is open on weekends and I will pop in and be able to caress it tomorrow and start the process. I will snap some pics and will post them asap, got a busy weekend. Next PITA is going to be taking it to the sheriff's station during their limited hours and have it put on my permit to carry.

Good things come to those who wait right, RIGHT?!?!?!?!

#15 ·
initial pics

Took a couple pics at the lgs when she came in. I'm in love! It was rough leaving the store without my Colt but on the 18th, I'm heading straight from the store to the range. Having the ramp and throat inspected and probably polished to help with feeding but man I can not wait to shoot this one.

It felt perfect in my hand. It's the lightweight commander and I am interested to feel recoil and muzzle flip climb etc. Now I know why all you guys have so many of these. The hard part is going to be deciding what direction my next one will go, Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk, or Kimber, Springfield RIA. Gonna be at least 30 days and have to see which I can actually get in this state. More pictures and range report when I can.

Attachments

#16 ·
Very nice Jon, very nice indeed. :congrats:

Having the ramp and throat inspected and probably polished to help with feeding but man I can not wait to shoot this one.
Shoot it first, I doubt you need to spend the money. The "newer" "dimpled" barrels are excellent as is.

#18 ·
Colt Commander, what every other 1911...wishes it was! There's a reason why you very-seldom hear anyone say, "Boy-oh-boy I sure do regret buying THIS piece-of-crap!". You've bought a pure winner. Congratulations!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.