Love my new 642

Love my new 642

This is a discussion on Love my new 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stopped by the local gunshop today. I was looking for a S&W 442. They had 2 642's and without the internal lock! I heard those ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Love my new 642

Love my new 642

Stopped by the local gunshop today. I was looking for a S&W 442. They had 2 642's and without the internal lock! I heard those are few and far between so I purchased one. Can't wait to try it out. Have some +P to try out. I traded a Taurus 85 and other stuff so it was an even swap.

They threw in a Blackhawk pocket holster and some Independance ammo. I will be a repeat visitor with such a great customer service.

I am now a member of the J "club". A good carry piece when the situation arises.
    stancehold and marcclarke like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Hope you enjoy it, but a word of warning: Keep it away from Rollo!

I'm contemplating a 442 or 642 myself. The grips feel better to me than the LCR.
    gasmitty, Brad426 and BugDude like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Without a lock......OUTSTANDING! Good luck with it!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

marcclarke likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have 642 and Ruger LCr. I like the grip on 642 better but they kick a bit more then LCR. Great trigger practice with 642. I have installed Crimson Laser 405 grip on it.
    Fun gun.
    Vodek

I have a 642 without the lock. It and my PF9 are carried CCW more than anything else I own...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    642 is one of my main carries, along with a 640. The 642 will be a bit snappier than the 85 because it is lighter, but it is easy to stow away in your pocket with a pocket holster. IF you carry it OWB you won't even know it's there. Excellent choice - there's a reason this is the #1 selling gun of SW....

Great choice in the Smith 642. I loved mine. Notice the past tense.....my wife decided she wanted it, guess where it went? Seriously, I'm glad she likes it and carries it pretty much everywhere.
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the J frame club

The J frame is the most useful small concealed carry gun, and I'm sure you will like your 642 with no lock.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I carry a 642 everyday. Correct about the snappier kick, but, nothing you can't handle. You will love it! Congrats.
    "If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - Darth Vader

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Hope you enjoy it, but a word of warning: Keep it away from Rollo!

I'm contemplating a 442 or 642 myself. The grips feel better to me than the LCR.
    Hands down I like the grip better on my 638 over my LCR. The way I grip the LCR to get high on the grip leaves my fingers between the finger grooves. Also I can draw the S&W so much better from a pocket holster due to the grip not being as tacky and grabbing my pocket.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vodekz View Post
    I have 642 and Ruger LCr. I like the grip on 642 better but they kick a bit more then LCR. Great trigger practice with 642. I have installed Crimson Laser 405 grip on it.
    Fun gun.
    Vodek
    I have the opposite feeling. I felt more recoil with my LCR than I did my Smith 638. I felt more of a sting shooting the LCR.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I sooooo wanted to like the LCR but the grip is somehow just not quite right for me and I couldn't get used to the fluted cylinder. I did like the trigger but frankly, the S&W J frame still has it hands down in my book. I too love the 642 although I find it VERY snappy with +p so I shoot normal loads. As much as I like mine I tend to carry an older S&W 640-1. It's all stainless, non-tappered 2" barrel and pre-lock. It's .357 and you can actually shoot .357 through it. It's my favorite revolver of all time.

You'll like your 642, it's a classic down and dirty close range CCW gun for sure!
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Pogo, what brand of grips do you have on your J fames?

Congrats, but I agree, let's see pics.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links