Help with M&P mag release rusting

This is a discussion on Help with M&P mag release rusting within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm having a problem with my M&P mag release rusting from sweat. I carried a H&K P2000sk for several years and all I did after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help with M&P mag release rusting

Help with M&P mag release rusting

I'm having a problem with my M&P mag release rusting from sweat. I carried a H&K P2000sk for several years and all I did after a sweaty day was spray rem oil on a rag and wipe the gun down. Never has a rust problem ever. That's what I have been doing with the M&P and the other day I went to release the magazine and the release would not push in. It has rusted stuck.

Do I have any other options other than stripping the gun down and oiling everything every night? Maybe this is common practice and I just was lucky not needing to do it with the H&K?
    Last edited by sbebenelli; September 5th, 2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    a51young likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    How does plastic rust?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    How does plastic rust?
    It doesn't but the metal mag release of a M&P does

The mag release has a plastic button with a metal insert and a metal spring but I have never even heard of one rusting. Are you sure it is rust and not some other residue?
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbebenelli View Post
    It doesn't but the metal mag release of a M&P does
    The spring is the only thing that could rust and I have never seen it.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by jblitz View Post
    The mag release has a plastic button with a metal insert and a metal spring but I have never even heard of one rusting. Are you sure it is rust and not some other residue?
    No doubt about it. I had to take a steel brush to clean it up so it would work smooth in the frame. See the pits in it?

After a sweaty day when I get home and remove the gun from holster my sweat is all over the mag release area and I'm sure it runs into the button. I would assume this happens with everyone?
    Attached Images

I don't own any M&P's but I know people who do and I have never heard of this happening before. Interesting.

Just curious... What kind of holster and how do you carry? I carry either my M&P 40 or Shield 40 IWB in Crossbreed and Theis holsters. Both of those holsters have leather between the gun and my skin so sweat on the gun is not much of a problem.

I do see what you are talking about from the photo you posted and am not doubting you. Just really interested in how that could happen.

I use a UBG IWB Canute. It has a sweat shield but it stops right at the mag release.

Why dont you just clean it really good, then when you reassemble it give the parts that are rusting a really light coat of grease.

That's what I have done. I was just shocked when the bag release was stuck. Imagine that problem when you really need it to work? Thought I'd get some options about this since I never have had this problem before.

Lead Moderator
    Hmm, quick fix may be wearing a underarmor type base layer or try a different holster that covers the mag release. Some people tend to sweat more than others/ have acidic sweat that can cause finish issues and rust. The HK may have the HE hostile environment finish on it preventing the sweat from rusting the mag release. Or the holster you used for the HK may have helped.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Agree with try another holster with a larger sweat shield.

Meanwhile, give S&W a call and talk to their service department. They need to know about the potential for that part to corrode - after all, this is their "Military and Police" line, not their "doctor and accountant" line. They should expect their guns so marketed to see rough duty.
    rocky and Aceoky like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You have tried GREASE instead of oil? Grease should stay put, much much longer than oil. I find it hard to believe that they have greases that keep parts from rusting on underwater oil rigs under salt water in the ocean but wont keep your m&p mag release from sticking. You could aways trade it for a glock and deal with it that way. Id probably really put in a new one then grease it because once its pitted, your probably not going to get all the rust off. Maybe your part wasnt treated from the factory like it was supposed to be or something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links