In a bit of a pickle... which to keep?

This is a discussion on In a bit of a pickle... which to keep? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I used to shoot a bit with my Dad growing up. Lately, since my brother became a probation officer, the three of us have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: In a bit of a pickle... which to keep?

So I used to shoot a bit with my Dad growing up. Lately, since my brother became a probation officer, the three of us have gotten back into shooting. Lets also say I tend to be impulsive in my purchases... just a bit.

My collection started off not too long ago with a Beretta 92FS in like new condition for $300. I couldn't pass it up. A few weeks later I shot my brother's Beretta PX4 .40 and his M&P 9mm but didn't really like either of them. I loved shooting my 92FS though so I bought a Beretta 8045 Mini Cougar that same night.

Now, tonight, I stopped by Gander Mountain and they actually had a M&P 9mm Shield which nobody can get their hands on right now down here. My brother has really been looking for one so I picked it up. I liked the feel of it and feel like its a better option that most of the .380s I had been looking at so I might sell it to him or I might keep it if he doesn't want it. But it was about twice the cost of the .380s.

The problem is I'm married and I haven't told her about the Shield yet. Funds are a bit of an issue so if it comes down to it... what would you do? Keep the 92FS or the M&P shield? Overall I want a good home defense gun and one to carry. I was going to carry the 8045 but the Shield would be so much easier. I suppose the 8045 might work for home defense. What do you think?

Funds are a bit of an issue ... haven't yet fessed up to having acquired the Shield ... buddy wants it ...

Is this a trick question?

IMO: sell the buddy the "rare" Shield; bank the cash; carry what you've got, for now; when flush in future, acquire others then.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well the buddy is my brother. I finally got ahold of him and he wants to try it out and talk to his wife... silly little man that he is. We're supposed to go shooting tomorrow so maybe it will all resolve itself. If not, I got some splainin to do.

I have a 92SB and the Shield, and I have to say I love the Shield. It's likely one of my favorite guns. I like how it shoots better than the 92SB and the concealment is nice (the reason I bought it). Magazine capacity is a drawback, but you can show your "fiscal responsibility" by keeping the Shield and selling the 92, since you thought it was a better option for her as well as you and if you don't feel adequately protected in the home, you can get a pump shotgun for a very reasonable price.

My $0.02. :)
    Old School, Eagleks and BeefyG like this.

Ummm so ... you bought this Shield and your wife don't know yet and your strapped for funds but
    your brother was looking for one and might want to buy it from you but he has to clear it with his wife?

But he's a silly man because he wants to clear it with his wife so he don't get into trouble but you didn't but you bought it and have to hid it from your wife or she'll get mad and he's the silly man?

Well before your wife finds out you better tell her because she will find out and if not from you well ... see where this is going?

You might have to sell both if your wife gets mad cuz you'll need the money cuz you'll be sleeping in a hotel

You better hope your bros wife OK's him getting it but if not and if it were me I'd sell the 92SB which would be easier to replace.

Good Luck and let us know how it all turns out
    pgrass101, mkh, ppkheat and 2 others like this.

Uh, you did clearly explain to him that he is not to mention to his wife where he might buy the Shield from, right?

The cost of ammo will even out the difference in cost in guns btwn .380 and 9mm.

I'd ditch the 92 for the Shield since you'll be carrying.
    Old School and BeefyG like this.

VIP Member
    Which to keep?

Two part process:
    1. Dump the 92, keep the Shield.
    2. If funds are a bit of an issue, avoid the impulse buying so the wife doesn't dump you.
    BeefyG, pgrass101 and Old School like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Anybody here buy a gun and not tell the wife/husband?
    Secret Spuk and jblives2ride like this.

When your collection gets as many in it as mine has, they can't tell one from another. New one, old one, they all look the same. IF she asks, I just say, "This old thing? I've had it, it was in the back of the safe." She also is under the perpetual perception that they all cost a hundred bucks....which they did...they all cost at least a hundred bucks...
    KoB and Secret Spuk like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    Anybody here buy a gun and not tell the wife/husband?
    Not a problem if you like Glocks!
    Blue Thunder and Old School like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm a firm believer in honesty in a relationship so I have no intention of hiding it from her. I just wrote out a long email that I'm sure I'll get a phone call after she reads it. She stays at home with the kids and I make the money so in the end she always throws her hands up, rolls her eyes, and says "its your money". But you know what they say, No money, no honey

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyG View Post
    I'm a firm believer in honesty in a relationship so I have no intention of hiding it from her. I just wrote out a long email that I'm sure I'll get a phone call after she reads it. She stays at home with the kids and I make the money so in the end she always throws her hands up, rolls her eyes, and says "its your money". But you know what they say, No money, no honey
    True honesty would have involved an email or phone call before you spent your money on an extra firearm.
    ppkheat likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Cool

You told her through an E-mail.

Now she can read and re-read it until she is at the boiling point and you are not there to defend yourself.

Face to face my brother, always face to face.

And your answer to her statement of "It's you money" should be,"No honey it's our money".

Your stepping from one pile of BS to another unless you get straight up with your wife.

P.S.

Sell the 92, PX-4 and M&P 9 and keep the Shield until finances get better.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I honestly hadn't considered the "I bought it for you" route but the fact that it would be the right size for her is a big plus.

VIP Member
    I honestly hadn't considered the "I bought it for you" route but the fact that it would be the right size for her is a big plus.
    I have an alcoholic ex-brother-in-law who once bought my non-drinking sister a couple bottles of Crown Royal for Christmas.
    oneshot likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links