Help making a decision: m&p .45c, xd .45c, or glock 30 or 30sf .45 - Page 2

Help making a decision: m&p .45c, xd .45c, or glock 30 or 30sf .45

This is a discussion on Help making a decision: m&p .45c, xd .45c, or glock 30 or 30sf .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd go M&P. Glocks are great and reliable but have a crappy grip angle (yes I own one) the M&P is very ergonomic, just as ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help making a decision: m&p .45c, xd .45c, or glock 30 or 30sf .45

I'd go M&P. Glocks are great and reliable but have a crappy grip angle (yes I own one) the M&P is very ergonomic, just as reliable and affordable. XD's are also nice have GREAT triggers but since I've only shot other peoples I can't give too much of an opinion on one. I'd never recomend a 1911 for a daily carry gun. Awesome range/showpiece but not for everyday carry.

1911s are heavier than the plastic guns, for sure... which is mitigated by a proper belt and holster.

The G30 is a subcompact model and the truncated grip means just 2 fingers on the grip and curling the pinky finger below. I'm not a big fan of that, as it compromises your control of the gun, but obviously a lot of people don't consider that a problem. The XD and M&P models you suggest are compacts with pretty much a full-length grip, yet only a half-inch taller overall then the G30.

My personal preference is to get a full grip on my gun, so I skip the subcompacts. Sure, you can add a mag extension with a pinky support, but that mostly negates the shorter grip, so why bother? Overall, I find the compact models to be a pretty good middle ground for concealability with good control of the weapon.

For 1911s, I like the Commander-size (full length grip, 4" barrel) but could easily be tempted by the "CCO" type popularized by Colt a while back. This is an Officers Model frame (slightly shorter than the Gov't Model, giving up 1 round capacity) mated to a Commander-length slide. This retains the more reliable function of the longer slide but helps a little with concealment with the shorter grip. Colt no longer offers the CCO, but I think Dan Wesson and Kimber have comparable models.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If all of those are on your list, you'd do well to also consider the Heckler & Koch HK45 Compact and the USP Compact. Well-known for all the criteria you mentioned.
    Agreed. M&P45c is probably the best for you from a price stand point and they can be had with a saftey. The Ultras from Kimber are good too. However m&p45c hk45c & usp45c will be the most reliable with a variety loads in 45acp.

KoB
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If all of those are on your list, you'd do well to also consider the Heckler & Koch HK45 Compact and the USP Compact. Well-known for all the criteria you mentioned.
    ^^^^^^ +1 on HK .45C...I love mine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DUNDEM View Post
    ...However m&p45c hk45c & usp45c will be the most reliable with a variety loads in 45acp.
    More reliable than the GLOCK 30? Oh, this is gonna' go well.
    ruger91 and 10thmtn like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    1911s are heavier than the plastic guns, for sure... which is mitigated by a proper belt and holster.

The G30 is a subcompact model and the truncated grip means just 2 fingers on the grip and curling the pinky finger below. I'm not a big fan of that, as it compromises your control of the gun, but obviously a lot of people don't consider that a problem. The XD and M&P models you suggest are compacts with pretty much a full-length grip, yet only a half-inch taller overall then the G30.

My personal preference is to get a full grip on my gun, so I skip the subcompacts. Sure, you can add a mag extension with a pinky support, but that mostly negates the shorter grip, so why bother? Overall, I find the compact models to be a pretty good middle ground for concealability with good control of the weapon.

For 1911s, I like the Commander-size (full length grip, 4" barrel) but could easily be tempted by the "CCO" type popularized by Colt a while back. This is an Officers Model frame (slightly shorter than the Gov't Model, giving up 1 round capacity) mated to a Commander-length slide. This retains the more reliable function of the longer slide but helps a little with concealment with the shorter grip. Colt no longer offers the CCO, but I think Dan Wesson and Kimber have comparable models.
    You must have large hands. I carry the Glock 30sf all the time with the 10 round magazine and it fits my hand well, although it is fat due to the double stack. My little finger rests on the bottom of the magazine, not curled beneath it. Of course and only correct way for the OP to decide on which firearm to purchase is to go hold and shoot a few. Like you, I also like to have a full hand grip on my firearm. Ounce for ounce, I think it's hard to beat the Glock 30 and Glock 30sf. Coming in at 26.5oz, holding 10+1 of fat 45acp rounds and basically the same size as a Glock 19 I believe it's one of the best compact 45's out there. I did have a couple failures during the first couple of magazines when I first bought my 30, but now I have over 5,000 rounds through mine without a failure of any kind.....and on the original recoil spring. Glock makes fine firearms......(but I also like my Sigs!!).

Wow. Lot of disinformation in this thread.

I have a G30. With the 10 round mag, my whole hand fits on the grip. If you were to get a 9-rd mag, then maybe your pinky would dangle - that's the price you pay for a shorter, easier to conceal grip.

I went through this expercise myself, and there is simply no equal to the Glock 30, when it comes to .45 capacity vs size and weight. Period.

As far as the Glock trigger goes - give me a break, people. I can empty mag after mag into one ragged hole at 7 yards firing at a fairly rapid pace, with the bone-stock Glock trigger. No, I'm not some GSSF or IPSC or whatever master shooter, either. If you cannot do the same, I dare say you need to work on your fundamentals, and stop your whining about the Glock trigger. And just to assure you I am no Glock fanboy, I can do the same with the "terrible" trigger on my LCPs - I don't complain about them, either.

All the choices listed are accurate enough, reliable, etc. Best suggestion I could give the OP would be to try them out, and see which you like best.

Oh, and let me put on some ...this should get good.

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

sgb
    Colt LW Commander.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

The only one I can speak for is the M&P 45c, it is a great shooter and very ergonomic. Trigger was a bit gritty right out of the box but after shooting it and dry firing the heck out of it it has smoothed out nicely. The only problem with the M&P 45c is finding one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

I went through a similar scenario last summer.

I ruled out the HK45, because of the cost.

I ruled out the Glock 21 because it was just a bit too big for my hands, even the SF model. I couldn't find a Gen IV locally; I did want to check one out.

I narrowed it down to the Sig 220 and the M&P .45. I really couldn't decide between these two. Finally, I decided on the price. For the price of the Sig, I got the M&P .45, 2 10 round magazines, 1 14 round magazine, the DCAEK, and a Dale Fricke Archangel holster.

I haven't regretted it for one minute.

M&P .45 compact

This is the one I got:
    M&P .45 Mid-Frame

The Sig still haunts me, though
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

As many have said, it's all personal preference! What shoots and feels best to you. I've had Glocks for many years but after shooting a couple of M&Ps, I gave one to my wife(g26) and sold the other(g30sf) and bought an M&P9 Pro and a 9c......nothing wrong with either of the Glocks, the M&Ps just fit me better and I shoot them better, as well......personal preference! That being said, i still prefer carrying a 1911.... and of course, shoot them better. If weight is of concern, an alloy or aluminum framed 1911 is going to be about the same weight loaded as a double stack higher capacity polymer pistol......lighter than some! My Dan Wesson CCO is more comfortable to carry IWB than either of my M&Ps or Sigs due to it being light and thin! Just my $.02!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    G30sf here and a Colt 1911
    The g30sf is awesome and my new primary.It's a bit wide but managble. I haven't carried the Colt in a while but every now and again I do. I would suggest the g30sf 11 in the gun plus a spare 10 [ or use the 21's 13 round mag as your back up] is enough for me
    good luck

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    If both are available try on the G30sf and the G30 and I'd suggest whichever fits your hand best

If not get whichever is available because the size difference really .... is very slightly felt

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    More reliable than the GLOCK 30? Oh, this is gonna' go well.
    Not quite what i was saying/ment. I ment from the options in that post I made. I was saying that it was more reliable becuase it would likely feed more different types of rounds than the Ultra Kimber. 1911's for those who have them are known to favor a certain ammo spec.

Once I shot a couple of M&Ps, I sold my Glock 30SF and gave my g26 to my wife and bought a M&P9 Pro and 9c.....of course, that's just personal preference but the M&Ps fit my hand better and I shoot them much better. That being said, I carry a Dan Wesson CCO daily.....it's thinner than the M&Ps or Glocks and more comfortable to carry.....and not heavy with the alloy frame! I've carried all steel 1911s and with a good belt and quality Holter, they're comfortable to carry but not nearly as much as the lighter framed 1911s. Once again, it's all personal preference!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links