Defensive Carry banner

Help making a decision: m&p .45c, xd .45c, or glock 30 or 30sf .45

10K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  smolck 
#1 ·
Help me. i need a .45 for carry and i cant make a decision. i was looking at 1911s but they seem to be very heavy, so ive been looking at the glock 30, the M&P .45c, and the XD .45c. i just wanted to know if any one has complaints or complements on any of these. comparison in reliability, durability, accuracy. also if any one has any ideas on a 1911 .45 for carry those would be appreciated. thanks for any replies, i need the help.

#2 ·
Have the Glock 30SF and a few Colt 1911's.............can't even compare the triggers.
Colt triggers are way better and personally I'm thinkin' about doing something with this 30SF especially after the incident in NY recently.....stock Glock triggers are just terrible ......IMO.....if you want any accuracy at all.....bought the 30SF because of it's Mag capacity....but really, would rather carry a gun I can hit with than a spray and pray special.....those are the Colts......OMO.

My 30SF has the stock trigger 5.5lbs not the NY-2 12lb.....but it's still not what I'm lookin for in a defensive weapon.

#3 ·
thanks for the reply xxxplosive. i herd tht the glock triggers arent very nice. do you know if they have replacement triggers or something for cheap? how inacurate is it? do you carry any of your 1911s and how do they feel?

#4 ·
thanks for the reply xxxplosive. i herd tht the glock triggers arent very nice. do you know if they have replacement triggers or something for cheap? how inacurate is it? do you carry any of your 1911s and how do they feel?
It isn't that they aren't "nice", it's just that they are not SA triggers. That means that they are simply different. I would never compare a Glock trigger with a good SA trigger.

What you are looking at when comparing triggers is what is acceptable to YOU. Do you want that perfect SA trigger? Then only a good 1911 will do. If you want other things, such as double-stack capacity, durability, light-weight...., you may be willing to trade off on the trigger.

As for accuracy, well, the shooter has a lot to do with accuracy. For combat accuracy, either will do just fine. If you are only interested in bulls-eye, then you might want to go for the finer accuracy of the SA.

Whatever you do, don't let the opinions of others sway your thinking. Try as many different trigger types as you can. You might just find that you LIKE that "lousy" Glock trigger - quite a few people do.

#6 ·
Glock is one of the most "adaptable" platforms around. You can find after-market triggers that promise the world, and some actually deliver (at least partially). You are still up against the design of the trigger system and there is only so much that can be done.

In my opinion, the stock trigger with a little (and I mean a very judicious amount) bit of polishing is all that one needs on a Glock.

Be VERY careful about what you do to a carry weapon and its internals. The last thing you want to do is "tune" it to the point where it is no longer reliable. I feel it is always better to work on the software (shooter) than the hardware (gun) when it comes to trigger control. A good shooter can handle a lousy trigger, a lousy shooter can't.

#7 ·
... been looking at the glock 30, the M&P .45c, and the XD .45c.

comparison in reliability, durability, accuracy.
If all of those are on your list, you'd do well to also consider the Heckler & Koch HK45 Compact and the USP Compact. Well-known for all the criteria you mentioned.

#8 ·
Sure.......you can get a 3.5lb replacement trigger for the Glock.....but why ?
I've carried all the guns I've mentioned at one time or another.....1911's are a true Combat Handgun.....IMO....Yes, Glocks have their niche but as I mentioned, I'd rather have a sidearm I knew was as accurate as I am without worrying about trying to keep the gun on target while trying to pull a stiff trigger. There are enough variables to considder when the SHTF why concern myself with one more.............

"Fast is fine but accuracy is everything"......Wyatt Earp.

#9 ·
Of the four options that you've offered, pick the one that FITS YOU best. The gun should match the shooter, the shooter shouldn't be required to adapt to the gun. The M&P, XD & GLOCKs are all well-respected, stone reliable, anvil tough & each have a loyal following of shooters. Each also has multiple techniques for improving the trigger "feel" from simple DIY stuff to professional tuning. None will ever match a nice 1911 (SA) trigger for crispness & reset. There is no wrong pick, only preference. By your OP, I guessing that weight is an issue. But we don't know your budget, your hand size/strength, your handgunning experience, your intended carry method or wardrobe requirements. EDC is a series of compromises. IMHO, the gun that feels best in your hand & points most naturally for you is TOP priority. Go rent & shoot 'em all. Then tell us why YOU made your pick! :yup:

Reactions: FoggyGoggles
#13 ·
100% agree. Best response possible.

#11 ·
The universe of possible 45acp pistols for concealed carry is Very large. Most of the polymer pistols you mentioned would work fine, but you need to find the trigger you can live with. I have Glocks and they are not "target" pistols and were never meant to be. But, they are combat accurate (that means accurate enough for self defense at self defense ranges), are very reliable, easy to maintain, and most have high capacity and they are relatively inexpensive. I shoot other handguns better than my Glocks, but when I go camping, backpacking, or generally roughing it.......I always carry my Glock 30sf, they are virtually indestructable. There are other pistols I shoot better than my Glocks (Sig Sauer P220, Colt Commander 1911, HK45C), but for the money you really can't beat Glocks. Afterall, over 60% of law enforcement in the US carries these pistols.....I don't think they would go with an unreliable firearm....and to me reliability is king when it comes to self defense firearms. If I were you, I'd go with the Glock 30sf and just practice, practice, practice....you will get used to the trigger. And like others have said, do not modify the trigger if you intend to carry the pistol for personal protection. The only thing I would add to the pistol is night sights if it doesn't come with them....

Good luck in you decision!!

#12 ·
will do ghost tracker. i love 1911s there just heavy. wasnt looking to spend more than $600 also but the longer i look the more i want to just save up and get something real nice. i would carry a 1911 if i could find one not too heavy, maybe around 30oz unloaded, thats still kinda heavy IMO. SHould be goin to the range this week so i will let you all know how that goes and what ive decided on. thanks everyone

#14 ·
If you are absolutely sold on .45, and weight is a consideration, might want to add the XDS to your list. There's also various smaller 1911s (Kimber Ultra Carry II for example). There is nothing wrong with polymer series (Glock, M&P, XD, etc) and comes down to preference. Spend some time at a range that rents or with friends who might let you try out theirs, though keep in mind they will be bias to what they own/sell. There should be a good balance of what fits your hand and what you can use repeat good results. Me for example, I perform best with the M&P series.

Friend of mine just went through the same dilemma. After a range day, he just ordered his Glock and is extremely happy. Not because it's a "Glock", but because he feels he made the right decision after trying out various platforms. Think of it this way, you wouldn't just buy a car if it had decent reviews... go test drive.

#15 ·
I have the G30SF, M&P 45C and the XD 45C.....you can't go wrong with any of the three. Accuracy, reliability and durability are primo with this trio. The M&P does have a capacity
disadvantage with its 8 round mags, but is a very sweet shooter and feels great in the hand like all M&P's. The G30 and XD 45 C both have 10 round mags and can be supplemented with
13 round mags with extensions.

for carry, I would have to give the nod to the G30 or M&P. The XD is a heavy little bugger and I ususally only carry it OWB.

#16 ·
I'd go M&P. Glocks are great and reliable but have a crappy grip angle (yes I own one) the M&P is very ergonomic, just as reliable and affordable. XD's are also nice have GREAT triggers but since I've only shot other peoples I can't give too much of an opinion on one. I'd never recomend a 1911 for a daily carry gun. Awesome range/showpiece but not for everyday carry.

#17 ·
1911s are heavier than the plastic guns, for sure... which is mitigated by a proper belt and holster.

The G30 is a subcompact model and the truncated grip means just 2 fingers on the grip and curling the pinky finger below. I'm not a big fan of that, as it compromises your control of the gun, but obviously a lot of people don't consider that a problem. The XD and M&P models you suggest are compacts with pretty much a full-length grip, yet only a half-inch taller overall then the G30.

My personal preference is to get a full grip on my gun, so I skip the subcompacts. Sure, you can add a mag extension with a pinky support, but that mostly negates the shorter grip, so why bother? Overall, I find the compact models to be a pretty good middle ground for concealability with good control of the weapon.

For 1911s, I like the Commander-size (full length grip, 4" barrel) but could easily be tempted by the "CCO" type popularized by Colt a while back. This is an Officers Model frame (slightly shorter than the Gov't Model, giving up 1 round capacity) mated to a Commander-length slide. This retains the more reliable function of the longer slide but helps a little with concealment with the shorter grip. Colt no longer offers the CCO, but I think Dan Wesson and Kimber have comparable models.

#21 ·
You must have large hands. I carry the Glock 30sf all the time with the 10 round magazine and it fits my hand well, although it is fat due to the double stack. My little finger rests on the bottom of the magazine, not curled beneath it. Of course and only correct way for the OP to decide on which firearm to purchase is to go hold and shoot a few. Like you, I also like to have a full hand grip on my firearm. Ounce for ounce, I think it's hard to beat the Glock 30 and Glock 30sf. Coming in at 26.5oz, holding 10+1 of fat 45acp rounds and basically the same size as a Glock 19 I believe it's one of the best compact 45's out there. I did have a couple failures during the first couple of magazines when I first bought my 30, but now I have over 5,000 rounds through mine without a failure of any kind.....and on the original recoil spring. Glock makes fine firearms......(but I also like my Sigs!!).

#22 ·
Wow. Lot of disinformation in this thread.

I have a G30. With the 10 round mag, my whole hand fits on the grip. If you were to get a 9-rd mag, then maybe your pinky would dangle - that's the price you pay for a shorter, easier to conceal grip.

I went through this expercise myself, and there is simply no equal to the Glock 30, when it comes to .45 capacity vs size and weight. Period.

As far as the Glock trigger goes - give me a break, people. I can empty mag after mag into one ragged hole at 7 yards firing at a fairly rapid pace, with the bone-stock Glock trigger. No, I'm not some GSSF or IPSC or whatever master shooter, either. If you cannot do the same, I dare say you need to work on your fundamentals, and stop your whining about the Glock trigger. And just to assure you I am no Glock fanboy, I can do the same with the "terrible" trigger on my LCPs - I don't complain about them, either. :rolleyes:

All the choices listed are accurate enough, reliable, etc. Best suggestion I could give the OP would be to try them out, and see which you like best.

Oh, and let me put on some :popcorn: ...this should get good.

:pepsi:

:lol:

#24 ·
The only one I can speak for is the M&P 45c, it is a great shooter and very ergonomic. Trigger was a bit gritty right out of the box but after shooting it and dry firing the heck out of it it has smoothed out nicely. The only problem with the M&P 45c is finding one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
I went through a similar scenario last summer.

I ruled out the HK45, because of the cost.

I ruled out the Glock 21 because it was just a bit too big for my hands, even the SF model. I couldn't find a Gen IV locally; I did want to check one out.

I narrowed it down to the Sig 220 and the M&P .45. I really couldn't decide between these two. Finally, I decided on the price. For the price of the Sig, I got the M&P .45, 2 10 round magazines, 1 14 round magazine, the DCAEK, and a Dale Fricke Archangel holster.

I haven't regretted it for one minute.

M&P .45 compact

This is the one I got:
M&P .45 Mid-Frame

The Sig still haunts me, though :embarassed:

#26 ·
As many have said, it's all personal preference! What shoots and feels best to you. I've had Glocks for many years but after shooting a couple of M&Ps, I gave one to my wife(g26) and sold the other(g30sf) and bought an M&P9 Pro and a 9c......nothing wrong with either of the Glocks, the M&Ps just fit me better and I shoot them better, as well......personal preference! That being said, i still prefer carrying a 1911.... and of course, shoot them better. If weight is of concern, an alloy or aluminum framed 1911 is going to be about the same weight loaded as a double stack higher capacity polymer pistol......lighter than some! My Dan Wesson CCO is more comfortable to carry IWB than either of my M&Ps or Sigs due to it being light and thin! Just my $.02!

#27 ·
G30sf here and a Colt 1911
The g30sf is awesome and my new primary.It's a bit wide but managble. I haven't carried the Colt in a while but every now and again I do. I would suggest the g30sf 11 in the gun plus a spare 10 [ or use the 21's 13 round mag as your back up] is enough for me
good luck

#30 ·
Once I shot a couple of M&Ps, I sold my Glock 30SF and gave my g26 to my wife and bought a M&P9 Pro and 9c.....of course, that's just personal preference but the M&Ps fit my hand better and I shoot them much better. That being said, I carry a Dan Wesson CCO daily.....it's thinner than the M&Ps or Glocks and more comfortable to carry.....and not heavy with the alloy frame! I've carried all steel 1911s and with a good belt and quality Holter, they're comfortable to carry but not nearly as much as the lighter framed 1911s. Once again, it's all personal preference!

#31 ·
M&P45c, no contest. IMO. Of course, the Glocks are good too. But to me, the 45c is just better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.