Help making a decision: m&p .45c, xd .45c, or glock 30 or 30sf .45

This is a discussion on Help making a decision: m&p .45c, xd .45c, or glock 30 or 30sf .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Help me. i need a .45 for carry and i cant make a decision. i was looking at 1911s but they seem to be very ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help making a decision: m&p .45c, xd .45c, or glock 30 or 30sf .45

Help making a decision: m&p .45c, xd .45c, or glock 30 or 30sf .45

Help me. i need a .45 for carry and i cant make a decision. i was looking at 1911s but they seem to be very heavy, so ive been looking at the glock 30, the M&P .45c, and the XD .45c. i just wanted to know if any one has complaints or complements on any of these. comparison in reliability, durability, accuracy. also if any one has any ideas on a 1911 .45 for carry those would be appreciated. thanks for any replies, i need the help.
    ruger91

NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Have the Glock 30SF and a few Colt 1911's.............can't even compare the triggers.
    Colt triggers are way better and personally I'm thinkin' about doing something with this 30SF especially after the incident in NY recently.....stock Glock triggers are just terrible ......IMO.....if you want any accuracy at all.....bought the 30SF because of it's Mag capacity....but really, would rather carry a gun I can hit with than a spray and pray special.....those are the Colts......OMO.

My 30SF has the stock trigger 5.5lbs not the NY-2 12lb.....but it's still not what I'm lookin for in a defensive weapon.

thanks for the reply xxxplosive. i herd tht the glock triggers arent very nice. do you know if they have replacement triggers or something for cheap? how inacurate is it? do you carry any of your 1911s and how do they feel?
    ruger91

NRA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger91 View Post
    thanks for the reply xxxplosive. i herd tht the glock triggers arent very nice. do you know if they have replacement triggers or something for cheap? how inacurate is it? do you carry any of your 1911s and how do they feel?
    It isn't that they aren't "nice", it's just that they are not SA triggers. That means that they are simply different. I would never compare a Glock trigger with a good SA trigger.

What you are looking at when comparing triggers is what is acceptable to YOU. Do you want that perfect SA trigger? Then only a good 1911 will do. If you want other things, such as double-stack capacity, durability, light-weight...., you may be willing to trade off on the trigger.

As for accuracy, well, the shooter has a lot to do with accuracy. For combat accuracy, either will do just fine. If you are only interested in bulls-eye, then you might want to go for the finer accuracy of the SA.

Whatever you do, don't let the opinions of others sway your thinking. Try as many different trigger types as you can. You might just find that you LIKE that "lousy" Glock trigger - quite a few people do.
    VBVAGUY likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

thanks for the insight roadrunner, i will keep that in mind. even if i didnt like the trigger couldnt i put a new one on or does glock only use glock triggers? thanks for the replies
    ruger91

NRA member

VIP Member
    thanks for the insight roadrunner, i will keep that in mind. even if i didnt like the trigger couldnt i put a new one on or does glock only use glock triggers? thanks for the replies
    Glock is one of the most "adaptable" platforms around. You can find after-market triggers that promise the world, and some actually deliver (at least partially). You are still up against the design of the trigger system and there is only so much that can be done.

In my opinion, the stock trigger with a little (and I mean a very judicious amount) bit of polishing is all that one needs on a Glock.

Be VERY careful about what you do to a carry weapon and its internals. The last thing you want to do is "tune" it to the point where it is no longer reliable. I feel it is always better to work on the software (shooter) than the hardware (gun) when it comes to trigger control. A good shooter can handle a lousy trigger, a lousy shooter can't.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

... been looking at the glock 30, the M&P .45c, and the XD .45c.

comparison in reliability, durability, accuracy.
    If all of those are on your list, you'd do well to also consider the Heckler & Koch HK45 Compact and the USP Compact. Well-known for all the criteria you mentioned.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sure.......you can get a 3.5lb replacement trigger for the Glock.....but why ?
    I've carried all the guns I've mentioned at one time or another.....1911's are a true Combat Handgun.....IMO....Yes, Glocks have their niche but as I mentioned, I'd rather have a sidearm I knew was as accurate as I am without worrying about trying to keep the gun on target while trying to pull a stiff trigger. There are enough variables to considder when the SHTF why concern myself with one more.............

"Fast is fine but accuracy is everything"......Wyatt Earp.

Of the four options that you've offered, pick the one that FITS YOU best. The gun should match the shooter, the shooter shouldn't be required to adapt to the gun. The M&P, XD & GLOCKs are all well-respected, stone reliable, anvil tough & each have a loyal following of shooters. Each also has multiple techniques for improving the trigger "feel" from simple DIY stuff to professional tuning. None will ever match a nice 1911 (SA) trigger for crispness & reset. There is no wrong pick, only preference. By your OP, I guessing that weight is an issue. But we don't know your budget, your hand size/strength, your handgunning experience, your intended carry method or wardrobe requirements. EDC is a series of compromises. IMHO, the gun that feels best in your hand & points most naturally for you is TOP priority. Go rent & shoot 'em all. Then tell us why YOU made your pick!
    FoggyGoggles likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Good Suggestion.............GT

The universe of possible 45acp pistols for concealed carry is Very large. Most of the polymer pistols you mentioned would work fine, but you need to find the trigger you can live with. I have Glocks and they are not "target" pistols and were never meant to be. But, they are combat accurate (that means accurate enough for self defense at self defense ranges), are very reliable, easy to maintain, and most have high capacity and they are relatively inexpensive. I shoot other handguns better than my Glocks, but when I go camping, backpacking, or generally roughing it.......I always carry my Glock 30sf, they are virtually indestructable. There are other pistols I shoot better than my Glocks (Sig Sauer P220, Colt Commander 1911, HK45C), but for the money you really can't beat Glocks. Afterall, over 60% of law enforcement in the US carries these pistols.....I don't think they would go with an unreliable firearm....and to me reliability is king when it comes to self defense firearms. If I were you, I'd go with the Glock 30sf and just practice, practice, practice....you will get used to the trigger. And like others have said, do not modify the trigger if you intend to carry the pistol for personal protection. The only thing I would add to the pistol is night sights if it doesn't come with them....

Good luck in you decision!!

will do ghost tracker. i love 1911s there just heavy. wasnt looking to spend more than $600 also but the longer i look the more i want to just save up and get something real nice. i would carry a 1911 if i could find one not too heavy, maybe around 30oz unloaded, thats still kinda heavy IMO. SHould be goin to the range this week so i will let you all know how that goes and what ive decided on. thanks everyone
    ruger91

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Of the four options that you've offered, pick the one that FITS YOU best. The gun should match the shooter, the shooter shouldn't be required to adapt to the gun. The M&P, XD & GLOCKs are all well-respected, stone reliable, anvil tough & each have a loyal following of shooters. Each also has multiple techniques for improving the trigger "feel" from simple DIY stuff to professional tuning. None will ever match a nice 1911 (SA) trigger for crispness & reset. There is no wrong pick, only preference. By your OP, I guessing that weight is an issue. But we don't know your budget, your hand size/strength, your handgunning experience, your intended carry method or wardrobe requirements. EDC is a series of compromises. IMHO, the gun that feels best in your hand & points most naturally for you is TOP priority. Go rent & shoot 'em all. Then tell us why YOU made your pick!
    100% agree. Best response possible.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

If you are absolutely sold on .45, and weight is a consideration, might want to add the XDS to your list. There's also various smaller 1911s (Kimber Ultra Carry II for example). There is nothing wrong with polymer series (Glock, M&P, XD, etc) and comes down to preference. Spend some time at a range that rents or with friends who might let you try out theirs, though keep in mind they will be bias to what they own/sell. There should be a good balance of what fits your hand and what you can use repeat good results. Me for example, I perform best with the M&P series.

Friend of mine just went through the same dilemma. After a range day, he just ordered his Glock and is extremely happy. Not because it's a "Glock", but because he feels he made the right decision after trying out various platforms. Think of it this way, you wouldn't just buy a car if it had decent reviews... go test drive.

I have the G30SF, M&P 45C and the XD 45C.....you can't go wrong with any of the three. Accuracy, reliability and durability are primo with this trio. The M&P does have a capacity
    disadvantage with its 8 round mags, but is a very sweet shooter and feels great in the hand like all M&P's. The G30 and XD 45 C both have 10 round mags and can be supplemented with
    13 round mags with extensions.

for carry, I would have to give the nod to the G30 or M&P. The XD is a heavy little bugger and I ususally only carry it OWB.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links