Light, reliable auto for pocket carry

This is a discussion on Light, reliable auto for pocket carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a light, reliable auto for pocket carry. It should first be reliable and second have adequate stopping power. The more I read, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light, reliable auto for pocket carry

I'm looking for a light, reliable auto for pocket carry. It should first be reliable and second have adequate stopping power. The more I read, the more confused I get. Haven't found a gun yet that everyone seems to like. I'm carrying a S&W Model 60 now and it is a great little gun. Only problem is weight and width.

Herman...Welcome...

from Central Florida!
    and...

[QUOTE=HermanNelson
    ...The more I read, the more confused I get. Haven't found a gun yet that everyone seems to like. I'm carrying a S&W Model 60 now and it is a great little gun...[/QUOTE]

If you find that little gun that everyone likes...let me know...I want to buy stock in that company.
    There is no such animal...guns are like shoes...
    There are so many choices...
    Everybody swears by the ones they like...
    Every brand has lemons...
    And...if you wouldn't ask someone to go buy you a pair of shoes...don't expect them to pick your gun for you either!
    OMHO

Have fun looking...see what feels good...
    Oh by the way, the Kimber Ultra's and Glock-36's are super!

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What 99 said about guns are like shoes.

Some folks like the Kel-Tecs or the Kahrs. You can get both in .380 up to 9mm (Kahr may have some .40's).

For pocket guns I have a Barretta(sp) Tom Cat (but still kind of weighty) or the Taurus .38 Ultra-Light (which is mostly used in ankle or SOB instead of pocket).

Your best bet is to go to a range that rents guns and see/try any of the smaller ones that they may have.

Wayne

S&W CS9, CS40 would be my choice. Be advised that the grips are small, and don't fit everyones hands. Good luck with your search. Regards 18DAI.

Take a look at Kahr's lineup. I am looking hard at a CW40.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Pocket auto

Kel Tec P-3AT
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

A Glock 27 is a great gun, what I carry 97% of the time, but is slightly big for pocket carry. Works great with a 5.11 shirt. Sig 239 is also another great gun, but again maybe too big for pocket carry.
    Both in .40S&W (or .357SIG) with good stopping power. Kel-Tec and Kahr are as already stated sized perfect for pocket carry but sacrifice some stopping power, unless Kahr does make the .40.
    Don't give up too easy on a j-frame, they are good guns, great for pocket carry with good pocket holster.

I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT or the light-weight S&W-442 - depending on what I'm wearing.

I have a Kahr MK40. Its about 23 oz empty I think and has 5+1 cap (6+1 with extended mag). Very small, just 5.3" long, 4" high and under 1" width. The weight is great at controlling the 40 cal recoil. One of my favorite guns and I shoot it several times a month. I have not fired the PM 40, which is the same size but has a poly frame and weighs down around 15oz empty I think. I have heard recoil is unpleasant. I do have a PM9 which is the 9mm poly version. Recoil is nothing even with hot +P. I often pocket carry it instead of the MK40 because of weight. I usually use an IWB for the MK40. I do find that a S&W Centennial (hammerless) J-frame draws easier and faster from the pocket due to its shape, so if my pants do not have a big loose pocket I carry the revolver. Check www.kahr.com. When I need to be extremely discrete, I carry a Kel-Tec .380. Invisible, no matter what I am wearing.
    Last edited by keith11235; September 26th, 2006 at 11:23 PM.

Pocket Autos are an area of handguns that there are alot of different opinions. Alot of people love the Kel-Tec line. I for one am not a fan. I shot the 380 and it was a POS. I owned a Kahr PM40 which was a lot of power in a small package. Overall I liked it but sold it because of reliability issues. The NAA Guardians and Seecamps are good. Snubby revos in 38/357 Mag/32 Mag are all good options too.

I am saving up for a Rohrbaugh. They aren't cheap but I really want one. But I'm done buying guns that are less expensive and I don't want just so I can have 1 more gun. I have a new policy of not compromising and if that means I have to wait to have a new gun then so be it.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    How much do you want to spend, and how sensitive to recoil are you?

Keltec P11.

It's a 9mm auto that will pocket carry (as long as you have kinda loose pockets). Holds 10+1 and isn't too bad to shoot (less felt recoil than the P3AT imo) if you want to practice with it frequently.

Mine goes bang every time. The trigger pull isn't the best in the world, but it's manageable.

I like my AMT Back-up .380, but it could even be considered a bit heavy, and not many holster makers are supporting it anymore. Very few in fact.

A Kel-Tec P3AT seems to be one of those that you either like or not, no in between.

Rorbaugh looks like a nice piece if you like 9mm's.

Seecamp makes a .32 and a .380 in a package that isn't much bigger than some flip style cell phones.

Khar makes some fine little guns, in several calibers that could fit the bill.

North American Arms (NAA) makes revo's and auto's. They have a couple autos that look interesting, but ammo may be more tricky to find (.25NAA is a .32 caliber cartridge necked down to fit a .25 slug, and the .32NAA is a .380 cartridge necked down to fit a .32 caliber slug). I think Cor-Bon is supporting the new calibers, but I don't know how many shops will be carrying the rounds.

The list of pocket guns is populated by many quality arms, and even more cheapies. As said before, if you can find the guns and are able to shoot them, find the one that fits.

I like the Bersa 380 Thunder concealed carry variant and a #2 Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I had a Kel Tec 2G P3AT in 380 previously but had some jam issues with it. The p3at was superb for cc but the jams I was hjaving caused me to trade up to the Bersa. It'll work alright with hollowpoints if you're worried about not quite enough umph in the 380 acp round.

The Bersa's been great for me so far, about 400-500 rounds through it and no jams. Reliable and light. Easy to clean too.

p-32 with Armalaser. more precise and sharper than pointy stick
    Attached Images
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links