Colt Mk IV Series 80 feeding issues

This is a discussion on Colt Mk IV Series 80 feeding issues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So about a week ago I got sick of trying to carry my Glock 30 concealed and wanted to try out a 1911. Purchased a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Colt Mk IV Series 80 feeding issues

Colt Mk IV Series 80 feeding issues

So about a week ago I got sick of trying to carry my Glock 30 concealed and wanted to try out a 1911.

Purchased a Colt Mk 4 series 80 from a local gun store for around $700 used.

Upon inserting a loaded magazine and racking the slide to the rear I noticed the round misfed. I ejected the round to find the bullet had been depressed inside the casing. I deemed the round no longer safe for use, discarded it, and put a new round in the magazine. I racked the slide to the rear again, only to have it misfeed yet again.
    "It must be a poorly fitting magazine" I thought and went to the gun store to purchase another magazine. Same problem with the new magazine.

Upon disassembling the weapon I discovered that both magazines had a lot of wiggle room when in the magazine well, and moved up and down somewhat more than any other weapon I own (I own a few Glocks, an old Smith and Wesson wannabe Glock, and a mil-spec Beretta M9). I can't find anything on the internet addressing this problem. Could it be some other cause, or am I correct in assuming its a problem somewhere within the magazine well?

Thoughts and advice from more experienced 1911 owners would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

What type of mag did you purchase? Just because it's new doesn't mean it's any good, or the follower design is correct.

Buy a Wilson 47D mag and try it before you cast judgement.

Being a used gun, it's also possible the previous owner did some " stupid " improvements to the gun.

If the gun is stock, and the Wilson mag doesn't fix the problem, then the next logical culprit is the extractor.
    marcclarke and gasmitty like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Administrator
    With the barrel in the frame & your slide stop pin inserted in the barrel link push your barrel all the way back & down and make sure that your barrel does not overhang the frame feed ramp.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

OD*
    Oh boy, being used and you not being familiar with the platform, I'd say Gman and QKS maybe onto something, your Colt very well could have been bubbafied. Magazines in a 1911 are not normally tight fitting, but by the sound of your misfeeds, I think QK is closer with his thought the feed ramp has been messed with. Many folks that think they know the 1911 "polish" the feed ramp until there isn't any ledge between the barrel throat and feed ramp, JMB designed it to have a small shelf there, it actually helps feeding, if removed, it hinders feeding. It should look like this when assemble as QK suggested;

QKShooter and sensei2 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I don't think it is the Gun or the magazine. What kind of ammo are you using?
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Dang! I feel completely proud to even be mentioned in the same post as QK as being potentially in the ballpark with respect to the 1911 by OD*.

These guys are my go to heroes when it comes to the 1911.
    I am learning guys! One of these days I might get there.:)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

JD
    Administrator
    Jm,

Does it seem like a loaded mag "sinks" out of the magwell after you insert and seat the mag?

Try applying upward pressure on the floor plate / base pad of the magazine when chambering a round. The mag catch may be worn or out of spec allowing the mag to "ride low".

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Jm,

Does it seem like a loaded mag "sinks" out of the magwell after you insert and seat the mag?

Try applying upward pressure on the floor plate / base pad of the magazine when chambering a round. The mag catch may be worn or out of spec allowing the mag to "ride low".

That is another possibility, easily fixed with George's oversized magazine catches.

EGW HD Higher Mag Catch: Evolution Gun Works Inc.

~ Tiger McKee

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    That is another possibility, easily fixed with George's oversized magazine catches.

EGW HD Higher Mag Catch: Evolution Gun Works Inc.
    Been there done that. I give 'em

OD*
    Yep.

~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Dang! I feel completely proud to even be mentioned in the same post as QK as being potentially in the ballpark with respect to the 1911 by OD*.

These guys are my go to heroes when it comes to the 1911.
    I am learning guys! One of these days I might get there.:)
    We all learn something everyday about 'em.
    You doin' good.

~ Tiger McKee

Meg-gar is the company that manufactured the new magazine.

It doesn't appear that anyone has messed with the feed ramp. I should mention the first round appears to be nose diving, and whenever I remove the magazin after the misfeed the second round is pushed forward in the magazine. A friend of mine tells me this is not normal.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jm31014 View Post
    It doesn't appear that anyone has messed with the feed ramp. I should mention the first round appears to be nose diving, and whenever I remove the magazin after the misfeed the second round is pushed forward in the magazine. A friend of mine tells me this is not normal.
    8rds mag?

Mec-Gar makes a quality magazine, BUT the pair I bought for my 1911s were iffy. Out of those, plus Shooting Star, King's, OEM Springfield and Kimber, Cobra (Tripp) and "genuine" GI mags, Wilsons (47D and ETM) are the only mags that have never let me down.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links