Really ruger?

This is a discussion on Really ruger? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ruger Designer - "Ok folks, Listen up! We are going to design the worlds best and most innovative revolver!" Applause Ruger Designer - "We are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Really ruger?

Really ruger?

Ruger Designer - "Ok folks, Listen up! We are going to design the worlds best and most innovative revolver!"

Applause

Ruger Designer - "We are going to make it so light weight that people will say "DUDE! THAT'S LIGHT WEIGHT!""

<Applause>

Ruger Designer - "We are going to make the trigger so good out of the box that Smith and Wesson will weep and we drink their tears for nourishment!"

<Apppluse>

Ruger Designer - "We are going to make the front sight changeable, because contrary to popular belief, some people actually do like to AIM a snub nose revolver"

<Applause>

Ruger Designer - "We are going to design a cylinder latch that doesn't take a chunk of skin out of your thumb when you pull the trigger because again contrary to popular belief, some people actually do like to SHOOT their snubbies"

<Applause>

Ruger Designer - "And finally... Last but not least... We are going to put big. No... Not big... HUGE grips on it made out of a material that is so sticky it would adhere to a greased pig fresh out of a olive oil shower, that are totally prohibitive for pocket and IWB carry because who would actually want to CARRY a gun this awesome??!!??"

<Silence>

<Silence>

<Silence>

<Applause!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!>

Rollo "Damn it ruger..."

Now... In all honestly the stock LCR grips aren't THAT bad. But, they do seem to be at odds with the rest of the design philosophy. IMO, the LCR has the S&W j-frame beat in EVERY way except for the grips. The S&W grips are small, not grabby but still allow a good grip on the gun. Ruger was SOOOOOOOO close to having one of the best snub nose revolvers EVER. Honestly, even with the stupid grips it still is one of the best CCW revolvers ever. The only thing I can think of is that they just assumed that anyone carrying on of these was going to be a woman and they would be carrying it in a purse.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

I think the idea was to make the LCR easy to shoot, hence the recoil-absorbing grips. Like you said, Ruger realized that folks might actually want to train with it.

If the grips are too grabby for you, you can try some other grips. Mine have the CT Lasergrips - I have no issues with them. Or maybe you can try the boot grips.

Hey, at least the gun isn't falling apart on you. Be happy!
    JD, RichB70 and Sky Pilot like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Hey, at least the gun isn't falling apart on you. Be happy!
    Lol, true. I guess I should count my blessings.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

What's the problem? They have always sold a bantam boot grip for it as well, for those who really want to pocket carry. The normal grip was just a way to make the gun easier to shoot for a good percentage of people. They also made sure a laser grip was available from the factory as well. ??????

Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    What's the problem? They have always sold a bantam boot grip for it as well, for those who really want to pocket carry. The normal grip was just a way to make the gun easier to shoot for a good percentage of people. They also made sure a laser grip was available from the factory as well. ??????
    The problem is that they created a gun that from a design philosophy stand point is meant to be a CC gun. Then they put what basically amounts to target grips on it. Can I buy a different set of grips for it? Yeah, sure. But I shouldn't have to. Just like I ding smith for their stock j-frame grips not being molded to work with speed loaders. It's just something that doesn't make any sense.

You could of bought a new one with the Tamer Boot Grip and XS front night sight. I love mine and it is the best carry revolver of all time.
    Attached Images
    Vaquero 45 likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I love the Eagle Rosewood grips on my LCR. I don't notice anymore recoil between the stock rubber grip and the wood grip. It is more slippery tho, but it doesn't grab your cover shirt like the rubber one does.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I felt the same way Rollo. I always change my Smith grips out to the old fashioned small skinny wooden grips. I never cared for the rubber boot style grips. The SP101 grips are the best stock grips in my opinion...and I puta wood insert in those. Too bad they didn't go that route on the LCR. Grips are an easy fix though...tons of after market stuff available.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Ruger Double Action Revolvers - The handgun of choice of French Bulldog owners everywhere.

Rollo, the LCR also comes from the factory with the smaller Tamer boot grip with slick plastic sides and rubber front and back straps, in addition to a factory installed XS night sight. Seems to me you picked the wrong model, if super small grips are your thing.
    I use my LCR as a pocket gun, and although I don't care much for the swells and finger grooves of the stock rubber grip, I don't have a problem with them sticking to anything. I wear cargo shorts with fairly big pockets, though.

Personally, I'd like to see some Pachmayr Compac grips for the LCR, but I haven't seen any in their catalog. Those Eagle Rosewood grips sure do look nice, if you feel the need to belt carry and don't want a cover garment sticking to rubber grips. The LCR is so good, I don't mind springing for a different set of grips to suit my taste.

Besides, I'm sure lots of people think the stock grips are perfect. That's the thing about perfection. It's always in the eye of the beholder.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Rollo, the LCR also comes from the factory with the smaller Tamer boot grip with slick plastic sides and rubber front and back straps, in addition to a factory installed XS night sight. Seems to me you picked the wrong model, if super small grips are your thing.
    I use my LCR as a pocket gun, and although I don't care much for the swells and finger grooves of the stock rubber grip, I don't have a problem with them sticking to anything. I wear cargo shorts with fairly big pockets, though.

Personally, I'd like to see some Pachmayr Compac grips for the LCR, but I haven't seen any in their catalog. Those Eagle Rosewood grips sure do look nice, if you feel the need to belt carry and don't want a cover garment sticking to rubber grips. The LCR is so good, I don't mind springing for a different set of grips to suit my taste.

Besides, I'm sure lots of people think the stock grips are perfect. That's the thing about perfection. It's always in the eye of the beholder.
    Couldn't of said it better myself.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Ruger Double Action Revolvers - The handgun of choice of French Bulldog owners everywhere.
    I don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I felt the same way Rollo. I always change my Smith grips out to the old fashioned small skinny wooden grips. I never cared for the rubber boot style grips. The SP101 grips are the best stock grips in my opinion...and I puta wood insert in those. Too bad they didn't go that route on the LCR. Grips are an easy fix though...tons of after market stuff available.
    I'm considering some eagle aftermarkets. I just don't get why they didn't think of it for the gun from the factory. I mean.. It's SOOOOOO close to the PERFECT carry revolver...

Rollo, I see where you're coming from. I bought mine with the CTC grips so concealment in any form is no problem. My guess is that as grip makers see how popular the LCR is, and is likely to remain, we will have many different grip offerings from several different makers, and Ruger will offer some of them as standard options.

i pocket carry my LCR with the stock grips dang near 24/7. i really like the size of the grips but i got huge hands, put the CT grips on it and it about jumped out of my hands. like lots of other things, to each his own. some people wouldn't carry a LCR if they gave em away for free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links