Newbie looking for some advice

This is a discussion on Newbie looking for some advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, I'm new here. I do not have my CCW yet but I am thinking VERY seriously about it. I've looked through alot of ...

Thread: Newbie looking for some advice

Hi guys, I'm new here. I do not have my CCW yet but I am thinking VERY seriously about it. I've looked through alot of posts on here and I think I have answered most of my questions but my situation is a little different than most so I need some advice.

To start off with I was born deaf in my left ear, when shooting I always wear earplugs to protect what I do have, also my ear has a tendancy to ring fairly easy compared to most people from what I have gathered over the years. I shot 1 9mm bullet the other day without plugs to test the waters and it rang for a while. I do realize though in a self defense situation it's better to live deaf than to die, and I want to be prepared but I hope the only time I ever fire a weapon is for target shooting or hunting. For noise reasons, price of ammo, and the doubt it will be used I am leaning toward a .22. I have a Smith and Wesson 6 shot revolver that I am fairly comfortable with (I'm thinking it's a K frame but I may be wrong). I have heard my grandad say that he could get some of the CCI mini mags I believe and kill coyotes with his rifle and this makes me think though it may not be the best choice it will do. I live on a farm as well and defense from varmints when you are walking is also a major reason for my want to carry. Considering my hearing situation what are your thoughts on the .22 with hot rounds?

Thought #2, I am a big guy with big hands and I like automatics but when shooting them I feel like I'm shooting something that just wasn't made for me so if I could I would like to conceal carry the Smith and Wesson revolver. What are some suggestions for conceal carrying this type of gun?

Hope this wasn't a double post and sorry if it's in the wrong spot. Thanks in advance for the advice,
    Goose

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum.

I am certain that our members will answer your questions politely and respectfully.

One small piece of immediate advice. Please don't do any more testing without hearing protection. Hearing loss is cumulative and every time your ear "rings" you are adding a bit more incremental hearing damage.

And since you'll need to practice shooting when you do get your license to carry - you (especially) will need to invest in the best and most effective hearing protection that you can afford.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    The majority of people on this forum will probably tell you they wouldn't be comfortable with anything less than a 9mm for SD. Some would even say 9mm is too small a caliber. Now, a .22 is better than carrying nothing and nobody would volunteer to be shot with one, but I am guessing the idea of a .22 will not go over well.

As for as your hearing condition. Have you tried doubling up your protection? When I shoot indoors I put in plugs and I also wear muffs over the top. It makes a world of difference for me. Give it a try and see if that helps shooting a 9mm.

I am not wheel gun guy so I have no input on the revolver vs. semi-auto debate. My advice dealing with your big hands is to go on YouTube and watch some videos by Hickok45. He is a big guy (6'8") and has a big following with a lot of good videos. He actually has a fondness for small semi-autos. He may be able to help you with that.

Welcome to the forum gooseman. The first two replies are right on, and I would only add that, in a defensive situation, firing (hopefully) just a couple of shots, your hearing will not be permanently lost. As has been said, the effects are cumulative, so you would need to be exposed to the noise many times, without hearing protection, to greatly affect the hearing in your other ear.

As far as the .22 for defense, yes it can work, and has worked for many people, but it is not the optimum caliber choice. The best pistol choice will be of medium to large caliber - .38/.357/9mm to .45, and be one that feels comfortable to shoot. The best thing you can do is find a range near you that rents guns and try several out to see what you like. If revolvers feel most comfortable for you, there are many good specimens from which to choose, from such makers as S&W, Ruger, Colt, etc. You said you have a S&W .22 revolver. S&W makes larger caliber revolvers in the same frame size, so the feel would be the same to you, except recoil, which should not of great concern.

Try as many handguns as you can and then make an informed chocie. Good luck!

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I went to the range a couple months ago with a friend who has a very bad case of tinnitus. It was an indoor range and quite loud. He used some custom-fitted earplugs with muffs over them. He said the combination is quite effective.

The Kel-Tec PMR-30 is a .22 WMR with a 30-round magazine that is rated quite well as a defense pistol because of its high capacity and low recoil.

You might consider getting a pistol with a threaded barrel so you could attach a suppressor for range shooting -- if you are shooting alone (won't do you any good if others are there with unsuppressed guns).

I found these data at http://www.freehearingtest.com:/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml:

.25 ACP 155.0 dB
    .32 LONG 152.4 dB
    .32 ACP 153.5 dB
    .380 157.7 dB
    9mm 159.8 dB
    .38 S&W 153.5 dB
    .38 Spl 156.3 dB
    .357 Magnum 164.3 dB
    .41 Magnum 163.2 dB
    .44 Spl 155.9 dB
    .45 ACP 157.0 dB
    .45 COLT 154.7 dB.

Here's another set from http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=63467:

Hearing damage possible-85 dB
    Threshold of pain-120 dB
    Jet engine at takeoff-140 dB
    .22 pistol-152 dB
    12 gauge shotgun-156 dB
    .45acp-157 dB
    9mm-160 dB
    .357 mag-164 dB.

At what distance the above measurements were taken is unknown, but it appears that even a .22 is capable of causing pain and doing damage. I believe it was in The Firing Line thread someone noted that OSHA limits a worker's exposure to 90 dB over an 8-hr workday. Every 5-dB increase results in the acceptable exposure duration being halved. If my mental calculator is any good, that means the threshold of pain can be tolerated for 7.5 min, but a .22 report is 32 dB above the TOP. Clearly, a good reason to wear hearing protection while practicing. If this was known and communicated in my youth, perhaps I wouldn't have a darn bell tower in my head.

Physics was never my forte, but I think 3 dB is the threshold of human perception. Thus, a .45 Auto will be perceived to be louder than a .22, but not by a heck of a lot. You may want to reconsider using noise as your primary criterion for selecting a CCW.

Finally, if you are thinking of getting a CC permit, allow me to suggest you quit pondering it and go apply for it. Only good guys are granted CC permits, and the more good guys on the street with a CCW, the safer the streets become for the rest of us.

Welcome. Second the plugs and muffed.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Walther P22 is a great little auto feed. Not a bunch of noise when out alone. What you hear at the range is everyone's cannons. It ain't so much the noise but it is the shock wave. A 22 doesn't produce much of a wave and for defensive purposes just use some hollow points. The BG you need to drop will drop after you empty a magazine in about 2 seconds if it becomes necessary.

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I need to clear up about the hearing some. I grew up around shotguns but always wear plugs even when hunting, the pistol thing is new for me and I wear plugs when shooting them as well. The only reason I fired a shot unplugged was because I figured if I ever have to fire it in self defense I need to know what to expect and for me that once was enough to get the idea. When I target shoot I always wear plugs and it's never a problem then, my main concern is that I thought the round nose target load 9mm was loud and afraid if I had to shoot a few that were for self defense such as some hotter hollow points that it might do some serious damage. Again, in the ideal situation you never have to fire unplugged but I don't like to go at anything without being informed and prepared. The 9mm I have is a standard size Beretta (not sure the model). Can I get some carry suggestions for both guns as I haven't completely ruled out the .22 yet?

Thanks again,
    Goose

Sponsored Links