What is the most accurate handgun you have ever fired, fifteen yards and under?

This is a discussion on What is the most accurate handgun you have ever fired, fifteen yards and under? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been shooting handguns for fifty years. I've owned some of the finest 1911s made, Wilson combat, Ed Browns, Les Baers, Nighthawks, plus H&Ks, ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: What is the most accurate handgun you have ever fired, fifteen yards and under?

What is the most accurate handgun you have ever fired, fifteen yards and under?

I have been shooting handguns for fifty years. I've owned some of the finest 1911s made, Wilson combat, Ed Browns, Les Baers, Nighthawks, plus H&Ks, Sigs, Glocks, etc.

I own a Walther PPQ that I shoot more accurately than anything I have ever held in my hand. I am curious which gun has been most accurate, offhand, standing, no rest, of all the guns you have ever shot.
    It may be a factor but I also think the PPQ has the best trigger of any gun I have shot, with it's advertised 1/10th inch reset.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Hk p7m8!
    marcclarke likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

A borrowed Sig 210. It won me a winner-take-all, off-hand pistol match that kept getting l-o-n-g-e-r as people fell-out. It ended-up at ~45 yards against a target-tuned S&W 686 6". It was the most accurate autoloading, centerfire handgun I have ever fired. I left $135 richer!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    A 625PC has given me the best and I have been shooting for over 65 years. I think a lot of the accuracy comes from the smoothest trigger I have ever pulled.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

A Browning BDM 9mm semi-auto pistol that I had in the 1990's (but later sold) was hands-down the most-accurate pistol I have ever shot.

I'm sure much of that accuracy came from close familiarity with that particular gun, as it was my primary range monkey, training gun and carry weapon. Same raggedy hole performance out to 12-15yds wasn't that tough, slow-fired. Rapidly fired or double-tapped, groups were almost always smaller than fist-size (~2-3in). Cans and smaller items at 25yds were child's play. Steel targets were fairly simple, though with lower-powered target loads they wouldn't always go down. Accurate from any distance, basically.

Out to 10yds or so, I could carve neat little, regular two-inch circles, shot by shot, ultimately dropping a nice round slice of the target onto the ground. No big deal with many handguns, but it made me smile each time.

Haven't been able to do the same thing with anything else, before or since. A rental Glock 19 came close, once, but that was about it.

Sold it. I'm still shaking my head over that one.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My newly acquired S&W Model 10-5 with 4" standard barrel.

Pic was from the first cylinder of ammo I fired through it after getting it off of layaway at the LGS. Only at a distance of 7 yards at the local indoor range, but I'm not a competition shooter or anything.

10-5.jpg

My Kimber Pro Series. My pic is from 7 yards shooting off hand 35 rounds. I wasn't shooting slowly, it was pretty much a "1, 2, 3" cadence.

35rounds down range.jpg
    JerryMac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by anchor44 View Post
    I have been shooting handguns for fifty years. I've owned some of the finest 1911s made, Wilson combat, Ed Browns, Les Baers, Nighthawks, plus H&Ks, Sigs, Glocks, etc.

I own a Walther PPQ that I shoot more accurately than anything I have ever held in my hand. I am curious which gun has been most accurate, offhand, standing, no rest, of all the guns you have ever shot.
    It may be a factor but I also think the PPQ has the best trigger of any gun I have shot, with it's advertised 1/10th inch reset.
    2 pistols of those that I own fit that bill, the first is a Smith and Wesson model 41 7 and 1/2 inch barrel, but it is designed as a target pistol and is 22lr.
    The other is the Colt 357 with a 6 inch barrel with target grips. The trigger on this pistol is just as nice as a Python.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Browning Buckmark .22. The 4" bbl model I had was more accurate than the 6" bbl model I have now...not sure why.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My Springfield 1911- I can knock the 'X' out at 14yds.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    My Ruger Bisley Flattop, .44 Special 5.5 inch barrel.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

My Ruger P89DC 9MM. It is pre-ban (I'm from MA) and it has a light (factory) trigger pull and is quite accurate.

I have a friend who has a S&W Model 41, for whatever reason, I can shoot the nuts off that thing. I can routinely shoot the x out of the target at 25 yards.
    2nd most is a Colt 1911 that is older than I am.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm equally bad with any and all handguns at <15 yards. Beyond that, though, my .41 Mag Blackhawk won hands down. There's the only gun I really miss.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by anchor44 View Post

For me it's a Sig Sauer P220....... A close 2nd would be my Colt Lightweight Commander.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links