Speed Six or GP100

Speed Six or GP100

This is a discussion on Speed Six or GP100 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wha is the difference between a speed six and a GP100? I have a chance to buy a gp100 with a 3" barrel and was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Speed Six or GP100

Speed Six or GP100

Wha is the difference between a speed six and a GP100? I have a chance to buy a gp100 with a 3" barrel and was wondering what the difference in weight or size is. Also, do you have trouble finding a holster for a GP100? Thanks in advance for your input!

VIP Member
    The GP100 is larger and heavier than the Speed Six. Both guns are built tough and will give you a lifetime of service. Holsters for the GP are not a problem to find. Finding a holster for a Speed Six will be a little more difficult since they went out of production in 1988.

I have a 1989 model GP as well as both the Security Six and Speed Six. The GP is a 4" the 2 Sixes are both 2.75" models.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Both the GP100 and Speed Six are really good sixguns; I have both. In my hands, at least, the GP100 mitigates magnum recoil better. There are plenty of holsters that fit these sixguns; the solution with leather holsters, if nothing can be found specifically labeled, is to buy holsters made for S&W L-frames or Colt Pythons, as these are all so close in size. Leather Holsters labeled as being for K-frames may be too tight for a Speed Six, and will almost certainly be too small to fit a GP100.

My avatar is a 3" GP100, though a rather rare variant with adjustable sights.

If I remember correctly the Speed Six is the fixed sighted variant of the Security Six, which was replaced by the heavier framed GP100. Both the Speed Six and the GP100 will serve you well. If the choice were mine to make I would go with the bigger and stronger GP100.

S&W went through the same process with their model 19. It was replaced by the heavier and stronger 586/686.
    sensei2 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    My choice would be the GP100 if weight and size is not a major issue. Fine, fine revolver.

Regards~
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I would be afraid of scuffing the gp100. Such a nice gun. Almost as beautiful as my mosin.

I recommend getting both.

I have a GP100 3" (stainless with fixed sights). I put the "old style" compact GP100 grips on it. Had to buy the rubber grips and hardware from Midway and the wood inserts (coco bolo in this case) from an eBay seller named "1chig".

Like my 3" GP100 so much that I put a used one on layaway as a "beater".

GP100.jpg

For holsters, I'd like an OWB model by Hays Holsters, but his website says he's not currently taking orders due to moving to Colorado, so I'll wait.
    Last edited by lowercase; September 9th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
    BugDude likes this.

^^^ The GP100 lowercase has pictured above is the way to go!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

For my Security Six I used a Hybrid holster for a S&W k-frame. The Security Six is a very good revolver. Built tough but not to heavy to carry.

For EDC I would pick the Speed Six. It's lighter & a bit less bulky than the GP100 yet I've never, EVER heard of anyone wearing-out a Speed/Security Six. I've often wondered why it was discontinued but it's my understanding that it was purely a matter of manufacturing cost vs sale price. Technology advancements made the GP100 design more efficient/profitable to build. I think the Speed/Security Six is a GREAT handgun.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have shot, but never owned, GP-100s. Wonderful, accurate, robust guns, they are. I own two Speed Sixes (one 2 3/4" one 4") and a couple of Security Sixes, and they are similarly defined, but are a bit lighter and more concealable. For regular carry, concealabilty of the Speed/Security Sixes is much better, but otherwise, one could go either way. All are great sixguns. Many K/L frame Smith holsters will work with the Speed Sixes, but not with the GPs.

Uh, sorry...was looking at your avatar...did you say something?
    mr surveyor likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    I have a speed six with a 4 inch barrel that is my nightstand gun, I want a GP100 with a 3inch barrel to be my carry gun
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I have a GP 3" love it and no problem getting holsters for it.
    Attached Images

I prefer the GP100 to the speed six. If you compare the weights of the 4" models in each, you will find the GP100 is 35.2oz compared to the 33.4oz of the speed six. I assume that the lesser size 3" GP100 and the slightly less than 3" speed six would be within a few ounces of each other as were the 4" models.

IMO, the 3" GP100 is one of the finest if not the finest short barrel revolver one can purchase today. It is sturdy, well-built, highly reliable and accurate. I have both the 3" and the 4" models of the GP100 and would not trade them for any revolver in the market.

ccman likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links