S&W is sending my a model 60

This is a discussion on S&W is sending my a model 60 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Talked to S&W on Friday and they told me they are going to send my a Model 60 to replace my to failed J-frames. Sooo, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: S&W is sending my a model 60

Talked to S&W on Friday and they told me they are going to send my a Model 60 to replace my to failed J-frames. Sooo, Free upgrade! Yay! That being said, I'm selling it when I get it. No offense to S&W fans but I've decided I just prefer the Ruger design. I recently picked up a LCR and that thing is AMAZING. I absolutely love it. Which brings me to my question. I'm thinking of perhaps selling (or trading) the 60 for a LCR in 22. What do you think? I've recently been introduced to the joy of mega cheap shooting fun (nothing like being able to walk out of the store with 1000 rounds of ammo for under 30 bucks) by my Ruger 10/22. With a 22 analog of my carry pistol I could do a LOT of training. My only worry is that I don't want to get to used to shooting it in 22 that I loose skill bringing it back on target for rapid follow up shots when shooting .38. What do you all think?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Don't break this one ,.....I kid.

Got to love a free upgrade! Hope it works well for you

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Don't break this one ,.....I kid.
    I don't think I'm even going to open the box lol. That way I can't get any bad juju on it.
    BugDude and archer51 like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

No offense to S&W fans but I've decided I just prefer the Ruger design. I recently picked up a LCR and that thing is AMAZING. I absolutely love it.
    You've previously expressed some frustration with the stock LCR grip. Have you made your peace with that or have you come up with an alternative?

VIP Member
    Wow, SW did right by you. Good for you. You might want to try that model 60 before you sell it! It's an entirely different experience from the 637.

As for the LCR analog to your LCR carry, I do the same with my SW's. I have a model 63 3" that has a very similar trigger pull to my 640's and model 60's. It doesn't replace my .38 practice, but it does supplement it. Getting that first shot off is the same for both - and the first shot is probably one of the most important, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Talked to S&W on Friday and they told me they are going to send my a Model 60 to replace my to failed J-frames. Sooo, Free upgrade! Yay! That being said, I'm selling it when I get it. No offense to S&W fans but I've decided I just prefer the Ruger design. I recently picked up a LCR and that thing is AMAZING. I absolutely love it. Which brings me to my question. I'm thinking of perhaps selling (or trading) the 60 for a LCR in 22. What do you think? I've recently been introduced to the joy of mega cheap shooting fun (nothing like being able to walk out of the store with 1000 rounds of ammo for under 30 bucks) by my Ruger 10/22. With a 22 analog of my carry pistol I could do a LOT of training. My only worry is that I don't want to get to used to shooting it in 22 that I loose skill bringing it back on target for rapid follow up shots when shooting .38. What do you all think?
    I like the idea. I'd say as long as you still train with the .38 on a regular basis you aren't going to hurt your skills.
    BugDude likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    You've previously expressed some frustration with the stock LCR grip. Have you made your peace with that or have you come up with an alternative?
    Lol, yeah. Honestly, I wrote that post about the grip as more of a joke even though I do find it interesting because the LCR is about as close to perfect as you can get but the grip (IMO) is a HUGE oversight from a design perspective. Contrary to my rant I actually kind of like the stock grip, it's just a bit grabby. I find myself tugging the bottom of my shirt to much to make sure that it hasn't rode up/hung up on the gun. Once midway has them back in stock I am probably going to order the Bantam boot grip.

Lead Moderator
    God to hear they are taking care of you with a replacement.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Wow, SW did right by you. Good for you. You might want to try that model 60 before you sell it! It's an entirely different experience from the 637.
    I would do that but I am so happy with the LCR I just don't feel the need. Plus, I can sell it as NIB if I don't shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Lol, yeah. Honestly, I wrote that post about the grip as more of a joke even though I do find it interesting because the LCR is about as close to perfect as you can get but the grip (IMO) is a HUGE oversight from a design perspective. Contrary to my rant I actually kind of like the stock grip, it's just a bit grabby. I find myself tugging the bottom of my shirt to much to make sure that it hasn't rode up/hung up on the gun. Once midway has them back in stock I am probably going to order the Bantam boot grip.
    I have not been in love with the Bantam Boot Grip but lately I have found that a small piece of skateboard tape on either side has greatly improved the grip for me and, the benefit is in concealability and pocket carry. The boot grip and I still don't love eachother but at least we now respect eachother and can get along when wardrobe dictates the need.
    Last edited by wmhawth; September 8th, 2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

60s are sweet guns. Mine is now my father's, but I do miss it.

Hey Rollo - Try the .22 version of the LCR before you make the trade. All the reviews I've read indicate the trigger is not as nice on the .22 version, as it is on the .38 and .357 versions. I've not tried a .22 LCR myself, so I'm only repeating what I've read.

If the triggers are not the same, then that kind of limits the training compatibility, IMHO. Reloading is not going to be the same, recoil is not the same, muscle memory of how many trigger pulls you get before you need to reload is not the same, etc. I dunno...

A Sp101 in .22 might be really nice, and all the reviews of the SR22 semi auto have been positive. Some other options to muddy the waters even more...

ETA - How about an Advantage Arms .22 conversion for your Glock...?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I practice DA snub shooting with an old H&R 922 and it helped me a lot...and it wasn't identical to my carry snubs. Just don't let it become the only thing you practice with and you'll be fine. For me it was working on trigger pull while staying on target. I would go out and run a box of 50 through my 38 and maybe 100 or so through the 22. I'd go through half the box with the 38, blast off a bunch of 22, then finish the box of 38.

Ruger has come out with a new Single Nine that is sweet, but it wouldn't give you any practice work. For pure fun, a Browning Buckmark or 1911 chambered in 22 are both a ton of fun.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think I'd invest in a Ruger Mk III (actually, a Mk II if you can find a good used one) before a .22 snub... it's clearly more of a bullseye than a 'tactical' or street gun, but I'm a believer in keeping bullseye shooting as part of the training regime. Sights, trigger press, recovery... nothing like a good .22 auto to keep those skills fresh.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Props to S&W for taking care of you. Certainly can't fault there customer service.

As I read your post I was thinking yeah it would be a good idea to have the.22 LCR. I'm now thinking about that as an option for myself as well. Problem for me is that I have the CTC grips on mine. I'm not going to shell out the big bucks to get a .22 with CTC grips! Uh uh. Na ga happen. Perhaps I'll check into the boot grip as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links