Glock 30 vs. Glock 29 for Home Defense - Page 2

Glock 30 vs. Glock 29 for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Glock 30 vs. Glock 29 for Home Defense within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WHEC724 Get the G30, and then also get a Lone Wolf 10mm barrel, G29 recoil spring and G29 mags. You'll have the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Glock 30 vs. Glock 29 for Home Defense

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Get the G30, and then also get a Lone Wolf 10mm barrel, G29 recoil spring and G29 mags. You'll have the bases covered.
    Lone Wolf does not make a 10mm conversion barrel for the Glock 21 or 30.

If your lookin' at a G30 for home defense.... .45acp .......what would you need a 10mm for ?

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I have a G30 sf and a Commander the G30 is lighter and easier for me to shoot. It's become my primary carry it fits MY hands perfectly.
    Shoot both then decide. I run 230 gr.JHP in both.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quit whining and moaning about the .45 and 10mm power. Get a .500 S&W and be done with it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by gibbygoo View Post
    But StormLake does.
    Glock Certified Armorer

I love both calibers, but in all honesty I'd say go with the G30. .45ACP will be easier and cheaper to find locally than 10mm will ever be, which should be a factor for anyone who's about to retire.

Well, unless you're a reloader or going to take up reloading with all of your new spare time.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    With that Glock trigger.....what kind of accuracy you lookin' for ?
    I've got a 30SF........a Brick with a trigger....IMO.
    How about emptying a whole mag into one ragged hole? Accurate enough for you?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    How about emptying a whole mag into one ragged hole? Accurate enough for you?
    +1. It seems that most (not all) of those who complain about the Glock trigger haven't really spent much time with one. As with anything new, it takes time to get used to it. Once full familiarity is achieved, Glocks are just as accurate (or more) than any other pistol. I actually like the Glock trigger. It's the best of both worlds between SA and DA, which makes it perfect for a carry gun. If, after extensive shooting, you decide you definitely don't like the Glock, sell it and get what you do like. It really can't be any simpler than that, folks.

My Glock 30sf is on my hip now, so my vote is for it, but I'd recommend a 9mm also. Glock 17, with a light and +2 adapter; 19 rounds of Federal 147gr HST. Plenty of ammo to fight your way to a long gun.
    --Jason--

I love the G30. Period.

i haven't kept up on more recent development in 10mm, so i might be wrong, but:

10mm for a while was made in two power levels: the original load from Norma, which was developed for the ill-fated Bren Ten, called for a 200 grain bullet at 1200fps - very stout. when the FBI decided to adopt 10mm, they also decided that this was too powerful for all of its agents, so they specified a milder load of 180 grains at 850(?) fps. some smart folks decided that they could reach this power level in a 9mm length cartridge, and thus .40S&W was born.

if this is still the case, then you will need to look carefully at the manufacturer's specs on each 10mm load you fire, to see if what you're shooting is closer to the original load or closer to the downloaded FBI specification.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbygoo View Post
    You are correct. My 10mm conversion barrel is actually a KKM, not Lone Wolf. I actually had to get it out of the safe and look. I also have a Lone Wolf .45 barrel for the G30, which was the source of my misstatement.

I'd never recommend something that I don't own and shoot. Thanks for the catch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links