Glock 30 vs. Glock 29 for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Glock 30 vs. Glock 29 for Home Defense within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shooters-- I believe I have finally narrowed my search down to the Glock 30 & Glock 29! I very much like how each Glock takes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Glock 30 vs. Glock 29 for Home Defense

Shooters-- I believe I have finally narrowed my search down to
    the Glock 30 & Glock 29! I very much like how each Glock takes down easy & reassemble's easy and both are reliable!
    What I am concerned about is which Glock will shoot more comfortably --and which model Glock will tend to give better accuracy (if I do my part)?

My wife will also learn to shoot whatever Glock we buy.

I have 12 days to retirement-so that means I'll have more time to shoot.

Thank-you for your thoughts

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    the Glock 30 & Glock 29! I very much like how each Glock takes down easy & reassemble's easy and both are reliable!
    What I am concerned about is which Glock will shoot more comfortably --and which model Glock will tend to give better accuracy (if I do my part)?

If you are going for wife's shooting comfort, consider the 19. If overpenetration is your primary concern, go with the 29. If you are sold on the hype about pistol stopping power, get the 30.
    marcclarke likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If you are going for wife's shooting comfort, consider the 19. If overpenetration is your primary concern, go with the 29. If you are sold on the hype about pistol stopping power, get the 30.
    My wife shoots a 357 Magnum, a 357 Sig , a Sig 220 Carry and a 20 gauge shotgun.
    sensei2 likes this.

I own several Glocks including the 30, which is my favorite. I love 45's period. It is extremely accurate and if I don't have a 1911 on me then its my G30. Works well in alot of different carry modes as well as a night stand.

VIP Member
    My wife shoots a 357 Magnum, a 357 Sig , a Sig 220 Carry and a 20 gauge shotgun.
    OK, so rent a 10mm and a .45 acp, let her put a hundred rounds through each one, and go with the one she likes the best.
    MeanAction and rawdawg1217 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I believe you are comparing .45 (G30) and 10mm (G29) in what is essentially the same gun. I have a similar situation, in that I have Colt Gold Cups in both .45 and 10mm. When I have shot these together at the same time, the most noticeable difference is how fast the 10mm cycles compared to the .45. I presume this relates to the much higher muzzle velocity of the 10mm and how much faster it can traverse the 5 inch barrel of these guns. You also notice a somewhat sharper recoil with the 10mm and a higher-pitched sound.

Both calibers seem equally accurate to me. The .45 practice ammo is about 30% cheaper than the 10mm, and .45 ammo of any type is much easier to find than 10mm. I do like the 10mm, and enjoy shooting it.

All in all, I would probably go with the .45 caliber Glock myself, just for ammo cost and availability. If you ever shot somebody with one of these two guns, I don't think the end result would depend on the caliber.
    rgc1 and rawdawg1217 like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I like the 10mm but in this case I would go with the .45. I vote for the G30.

The pertinent issue is grip circumference on the G30.

I have been committed to the Glock platform for about 8 years and have shot one G29 and one G30 about four years apart. Of the two, I would choose the G30, especially if you can get a Gen 4 (if they've been released) or a G30SF. Not only is the ammo cheaper for .45 ACP compared to 10mm but Massad Ayoob recently stated in the Harris Outdoor Group (#116) Complete Book of Handguns that, "I was able to twice get 5-shot groups of under an inch from 25 yards with the G30, once using match-grade Remington 185-grain target ammunition, and once with 230-grain Federal Hydra-Shok hollowpoint duty loads."

Such a statement from a man of Ayoob's experience would mean a GREAT DEAL to me if I was in the OP's situation.

Good luck in your selection process.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

With that Glock trigger.....what kind of accuracy you lookin' for ?
    I've got a 30SF........a Brick with a trigger....IMO.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    My understanding is that the G30 tends to be more accurate out of the box than the other models. I also understand that the difference is slim at best and once you have your sights zeroed in it doesn't matter. The G30 is almost certainly softer shooting than the G29.

In terms of home defense, the difference between these two is virtually negligible. If an old WWII vet in Verona, KY can lethally neutralize a home invader with a .22LR then the caliber wars are officially over.
    Katana and unclejake like this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    For HD duty - G30 with a G21 mag. For CC/OC duty - G30 with a G30 mag and a G21 mag for backup. If you need a smaller grip - G30SF with the same mags as noted before.

I have a G17, G21, G22 & G30. All around, I like the G30 best, however, for HD duty, I put a light and laser sight on the G21. The G30 sports night sights.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    10mm..read this article.

CALIBERS -- 10mm Advocacy Article

This is just a sample of the article:

"If you’re an energy junky, which I have found a surprising number .45 ACP lovers are, then take a good hard look at these charts. Even those of you who love the high velocity, high energy and lightweight .45 rounds need to look at the numbers the 10mm puts up. As a former member of your camp, certainly the .45 ACP 165gr JHP from Cor Bon is a screaming hot round, with lots of penned up energy to dump in the bad guy. 577 foot pounds of energy is impressive, indeed. But the 10mm wins the energy battle. The .45 ACP has but one loading, the 165gr, that reaches these energy levels, and about three different makers of this loading. With the 10mm, I have chronographed fully 6 loads (and there are more out there!) in four different bullet weights that BEAT the energy levels of the 165gr .45 ACP loads by a minimum of 20 foot pounds of energy each: some by substantially more. And these loads give a wide range of bullet weights, from the screaming hot 150gr loads, to the hard pounding 180gr Cor Bon. If you’re into light loads that create big stretch cavities you should be looking at the 10mm, not the .45 ACP or the .40 S&W or even the .357 magnum!"
    Last edited by TonyDTrigger; September 9th, 2012 at 05:25 PM.

VIP Member
    Get the G30, and then also get a Lone Wolf 10mm barrel, G29 recoil spring and G29 mags. You'll have the bases covered.

You will get a lot of opinions, but you are the only one that can answer the question. The way to do that is to shoot both guns and then decide. You may find you like a different platform then your wife.
    jumpwing likes this.
    Glock Armorer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links