CCW Decision to Make - Page 2

CCW Decision to Make

This is a discussion on CCW Decision to Make within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't have a dog in this fight, but I wouldn't make any conclusions about holsters by comparing how an XD feels in one and PF9 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: CCW Decision to Make

Don't have a dog in this fight, but I wouldn't make any conclusions about holsters by comparing how an XD feels in one and PF9 feels in another. I've got the Comp-Tac Spartan and really like it. All 3 holsters you mention are very similar kydex/leather hybrids and it doesn't seem like the weight dist would be that different among the 3. Is there something besides the dist that bothers you about the Comp-Tac? I know when I was going thru trying out a bunch of different cants, ride heights, and belt positions the clips hit my leg sometimes, but that's easily solved with a dremel/hacksaw. Just trying to help out. If you do get one of the others, please post a review/comparison - I be interested in any real differences. Shoot, Crossbreed offers a free trial period.

Distinguished Member
    Yeah, I would suggest option 3. If you still think its heavy and uncomfortable you can always still trade the xd and sell the holsters and recoupe most of your money.

As a new glock owner I will say, the more I shoot them and learn about them, they really seem to be designed for carry.

And one more thing, I went with a G23. It definitely is bigger than a 26/27 (and my M&PC). I am more than willing to sacrafice the little bit of concealability for the full grip I get with the 23 though. But I don't think I gained hardly any weight with the 23, even though its bigger and more rounds.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Unless you just want to change guns, I'd recommend trying a different holster/belt combination. You didn't mention anything about your belt. Are you using a quality gun belt, or an off the shelf dress belt? A good gun belt will make a world of difference in comfort and conceal-ability.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

i would keep the gun and get a good quality holster, i got my foxx holster off of ebay for 39 shipped it is exactly like the crossbreed holsters, i carry a 9mm xdsc and i can tell you that it is comfortable on me. I would try that holster before i sold off the gun or traded it. Imo if you really want to get a glock i would keep the xd and get the glock you want dont sell it.. imo you cant have too many guns
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

VIP Member
    I would echo the recommendations to trying another holster before scrapping the pistol. I carried an XD sub for a long time and I can't say it carries any different than my Glock 19. It may shoot different and feel different, but there isn't enough difference in size and weight to actually feel different when it's strapped to your belt. Maybe a much smaller gun would offer a distinctly different feeling but it really sounds like your objection is more about the holster rather than the firearm itself.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Unless you just want to change guns, I'd recommend trying a different holster/belt combination. You didn't mention anything about your belt. Are you using a quality gun belt, or an off the shelf dress belt? A good gun belt will make a world of difference in comfort and conceal-ability.
    Well I did recently buy the Wilderness 5 stitch reinforced and I was surprised that it did make a lot of difference. Part of the problem may be the big belly that pushes the belt down.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Don't have a dog in this fight, but I wouldn't make any conclusions about holsters by comparing how an XD feels in one and PF9 feels in another. I've got the Comp-Tac Spartan and really like it. All 3 holsters you mention are very similar kydex/leather hybrids and it doesn't seem like the weight dist would be that different among the 3. Is there something besides the dist that bothers you about the Comp-Tac? I know when I was going thru trying out a bunch of different cants, ride heights, and belt positions the clips hit my leg sometimes, but that's easily solved with a dremel/hacksaw. Just trying to help out. If you do get one of the others, please post a review/comparison - I be interested in any real differences. Shoot, Crossbreed offers a free trial period.
    The Old Faithful which is kind of like the Crossbreed is wider from clip to clip than the Comp Tac Minotaur and has more leather surface area to contact the body which seems to make it stay in place more. I would like to try the Remora but I just mentally can't get over not clips or loops.

It looks like I'll be leaning more to trying another holster though and trying to save up for an additional Glock. Since I'm looking for a new deer rifle for my 10 yr old right now that may have to take a back seat though.

How easy is it to sell a holster. I have thought about selling my Comptac. I have worn it a few times but it's in good shape and has two new extra sets of clip 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 and I also have a brand new Remora that I used for my 642. Great holster but I don't have anything that fits it anymore. I just didn't know where to sell or if there would be any interest. It would finance a new holster purchase to try out though before spending a lot of money.

Iwould recommend renting the guns you are proposing and see how you shoot them compared to the one you have now. I've really tried to like Glocks, but I struggle to attain the same degree of accuracy with them that I have with all of my other platforms. At some point, why keep on and on when you can pick up another gun and shoot it lights out without a struggle. I have a XD40sc that I shoot dead on and quick. It fits my hands, eye, etc. so that is what works for me. I also have a G36 that sits in the safe because no matter how much I have shot it, I just can't get near the accuracy as my others. As for a 9mm, I have a Bersa Thunder 9 uc that I can also punch the center out of a target over and over again just as fast as I can pull the trigger. It is heavy, but I can carry it comfortably. To me it is far more important how I perform with a given weapon. I don't find the XD40sc heavy or awkward at all...but each person is different in what works for them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska12 View Post
    Just to clear up some mis-conceptions posted here:

Attachment 62627

Of course fans of Glock will give you reasons to keep it, and fans of Springfield will do the same. Those guns work for them. Make your own decision based on what works for YOU.

Disclaimer: I pulled this off the web, and did not check its accuracy.
    The one that I have is the XD Subcompact though. I think it's empty weight is 26 oz and something like 31 loaded. Not guaranteeing the weights though.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Iwould recommend renting the guns you are proposing and see how you shoot them compared to the one you have now. I've really tried to like Glocks, but I struggle to attain the same degree of accuracy with them that I have with all of my other platforms. At some point, why keep on and on when you can pick up another gun and shoot it lights out without a struggle. I have a XD40sc that I shoot dead on and quick. It fits my hands, eye, etc. so that is what works for me. I also have a G36 that sits in the safe because no matter how much I have shot it, I just can't get near the accuracy as my others. As for a 9mm, I have a Bersa Thunder 9 uc that I can also punch the center out of a target over and over again just as fast as I can pull the trigger. It is heavy, but I can carry it comfortably. To me it is far more important how I perform with a given weapon. I don't find the XD40sc heavy or awkward at all...but each person is different in what works for them.
    I think you're right on this. I need to look into it again. Last time I tried to rent at a local range they had just been robbed and their rental guns had been stolen. Hopefully they're stocked up again.

I carry an SW m&p 9c in a crossbreed super tuck. Although there are plenty of lighter, slimmer (single stack) pistols to carry, the super tuck does me and my 9 just fine with comfort. I literally forget i even have it on. I suggest getting the J clips if you do decide to go crossbreed.

If an OWB holster is for you,

Model 82 *CarryLok™ Hip Holster Bianchi Leather Holsters

Can be found online in the $50 neighborhood.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

I may be interested in the comptac, pm me what u want for it
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

Have you gotten your hands on a S&W Shield yet???? I compared and contrasted the Shield to an XDs and and LC9 and put my cash down on the Shield without hesitation. The cost, the amazing trigger and thin profile made it an easy choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links