CCW Decision to Make

This is a discussion on CCW Decision to Make within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Probably like a lot of the questions this has been covered to some degree but I'm going to ask. I have a XD Subcompact 40 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: CCW Decision to Make

CCW Decision to Make

Probably like a lot of the questions this has been covered to some degree but I'm going to ask. I have a XD Subcompact 40 that I carry for ccw sometimes. To me it seems to heavy and causes too much discomfort to carry all day. I was considering trading it for a Glock 26/27 but was unsure how much difference it would make for cc. As I was researching though, I started considering the 19/23 because it's still a little lighter but I've seen threads that it was just as easy to conceal as the xdsc and I do have a PF9 and TCP if I really needed to go lighter. Then after reading all the xd vs glock threads I really started wondering if maybe getting a better holster like the crossbreed might be the solution. I have a Comptac Minotaur but don't really like it and the Old Faithful holster that is like the crossbreed that I have for my PF9 is very comfortable. I thought maybe getting a holster like that might make the difference. It looks like the weight would be more distributed and that there's more surface area to keep the holster stable. I would also save a lot of money with that option. So what I'm considering and wold like opinions on is:

1. Trade my XD SC for a Glock 26/27. This would prob be a better all the time cc than the PF9.
    2. Trade my XD SC for a Glock 19/23. Heard it was just as easy to conceal, lighter, more capacity, etc. and use the PF9/TCP if I really needed more concealment.
    3. Keep the XD SC and get a better holster like maybe the Crossbreed. I have the Comp Tac and don't like it, I already have the heavy duty belt, but my setup right now is uncomfortable and I'm always having to adjust. This option would be cheaper IF it works but not if I don't like it and still have to trade my ccw.

I am not considering any other handguns like Kahr, Bersa, Ruger etc for this situation. I already have other handguns that to me are comparable. I'm looking for something more when I really feel the need for extra capacity and unquestionable reliability and something that would be comfortable enough to where the others would just be for high concealability, low risk, situations.

2. Remove Ads

I would go with Option 3 at least initially. If you still aren't comfortable with your set-up you can sell the holster with the gun and explore other options.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

You're picking the fly scat out of the pepper. Handgun weight between the ones you mention (XD/GLOCK) is moot. Get a smaller, thinner carry gun if you're inclined, but I'd try a different holster for my XD before I did anything. Good Luck.
    gasmitty and sgb like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I pick door number three. The Springfield is a good gun and the right holster (right for you, that is) will make it comfortable to carry. It may take more than one holster before you find what works best for you. That's not unusual. But when you find THE ONE, you'll be surprised at how comfortable it is. If, after multiple holster attempts, you just can't get comfortable with the XD, then consider the other two options.

One thing about Glocks: holsters are usually available right now. Alessi, Sparks, all the premium goodies. Parts are as well.

I love my 19. And my 32.

after carrying for a while, I always come back to Glock. There is really no comparison between the formats for concealed carry. The XD's are great guns, just too heavy and chubby for comfortable carry.

Before anyone starts slamming me for my weapons choices, I have several XD's and have carried an XD 9SC in an ankle holster for over a year. Try it.

Trade the XD for a Glock and don't look back.
    gottabkiddin and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My Golden Rule is: Never get rid of a gun - just buy more.

Add a subcompact, a snubbie, and maintain all your options. Like others have said above, it isn't about the gun as much as it's about the holster. And the belt.
    nralifer4570 likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I would go with your number 1 choice. The 26/27 can share mags With the others for the 17 up, so options all the way to 33 rounds.

Sent via Mental Power

I used to carry an XD40SC, but now I carry a Glock 19. It is not easier to conceal with a cheap holster, unless you are using you 12 rd mags when you carry your XD.

I have a concealment solutions Black Mamba for my G19, and it is super easy and comfortable to conceal in this rig (it did set me back $70, though).

Here are the reasons I switched

1. G19 is lighter
    2. G19 carries more rounds
    3. G19 isn't top heavy like the XD
    4. G19 has a longer barrel, so is more accurate
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    after carrying for a while, I always come back to Glock. There is really no comparison between the formats for concealed carry. The XD's are great guns, just too heavy and chubby for comfortable carry.Before anyone starts slamming me for my weapons choices, I have several XD's and have carried an XD 9SC in an ankle holster for over a year. Try it. Trade the XD for a Glock and don't look back.

+1. XD for a Glock, oh yeah any day... XDS are top heavy IMO. The glock gives a lower bore axis equaling less muzzle flip and better control for follow ups. Both are excellent pistols, but the ergos go to the Glock, also my opinion.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

What is it you don't like about the PF9? The holster? Remora. How/where do you carry mainly? Don't be a stranger......I live in NWA as well. I have no good reason to push you toward getting a Glock.....Glocks pretty much market themselves.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I am not hands-on familiar with either hoster mentioned, but it is certainly possible that a change in the rig can increase the comfort level. As for the weapons, try to rent or borrow the prospective Glocks, and sure the fit is OK for your hands. A Glock is rarely a mistake. I prefer 9mm, myself, in Glocks, as the cartridge with which the reliability legend was built. The .40 in Glocks caused some growing pains, some of which I experienced myself, and I am not convinced there is any true difference in street performance of the two cartridges.

If you're thinking about going the new holster route, I'd give Theis holsters a try. Just like crossbreed, but cheaper at $55. Custom molded for your particular weapon, and combat cut standard (costs extra from crossbreed). My theis holster for my sig is awesome and quite comfortable and makes the gun not print at all....and the sp2022 is slightly larger than the g19

Glock 26, 27, 30/30SF and 36 are all excellent subcompact choices and will conceal well. The keys are a good belt and holster. I started with a Remora and a Wilderness 5 Stitch for my Gen4 26. Continues to work well.
    marcclarke likes this.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ideally I would just keep it and go get a Glock too but finances prevent me from doing that. I don't know how to put each quote here but to reply to some above.

Handgun weight between the ones you mention (XD/GLOCK) is moot.
    I was reading some where that a loaded 26 is the same weight as an empty. Six oz or so seems like it would make a difference but then I'm not that experienced at carrying different guns.

My Golden Rule is: Never get rid of a gun - just buy more.
    I do always regret it but unfortunately trading is the only way I can get other guns. I always loose my butt though.

What is it you don't like about the PF9?
    I actually like my PF9. The one I have has been reliable and it's great for some things but it doesn't compare to the Glock or XD I don't think in serious situations. I used to think more of close up one on one situations going to the car at night but with all the shootings and crazy people going into busineses I'm rethinking my situation or needs I guess. I guess that I still don't 100% trust it either because of my experience with a previous one. It is however 100 times more comfortable and concealable than the XD.

I do have the 5 stitch reinforced Wilderness belt that I recently bought. It does make a difference but doesn't solve my issue. My Old Faithful holster is great for the PF9 so far. I had a Remora for my 642 and I just never liked it and I just never could get over the fear of it falling out and mine did shift around. I have emailed Theis Holsters. I'm really listening and thinking about all the advice. I'm really thinking about trying to get a Glock in addition and then selling whatever suits me the least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links