What round in an lcp for cc

This is a discussion on What round in an lcp for cc within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about getting a lcp for pocket carry when my xdm 9mm is too bulky. My concern is the small 380 round. What 380 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What round in an lcp for cc

I'm thinking about getting a lcp for pocket carry when my xdm 9mm is too bulky. My concern is the small 380 round. What 380 round should I look at for maximum knock down power? I'd rather get a small 9 but I looked at the kahr cm9 and tried it in my jeans pocket and it was too big to fit comfortably.

Gold Dots or CorBon 90gr JHPs, in my opinion, but there are plenty of good rounds out there.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by suds1421 View Post
    What 380 round should I look at for maximum knock down power?
    What do you mean by knock down power?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have been carrying Winchester Ranger T's, but have been thinking of switching to Winchester FMJ flat point. My LCP shoots anything I put in it. Only one problem ever, it was in first or 2nd magazine I shot in it, and now I can't remember if it was a FTF, stove pipe or what, but since then it's been clear sailing with whatever I've put in it.

Don't think you'll be getting knock down power with any .380 load. Reliability in your gun is the first priority.
    NRA Life Member

95 gr flat nose. 380 is a good CC. It is not a super power house so heavy fancy HP are just not the round for it.
    A flat 95 grain or even a 90 will get the job done for you.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I use Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr.
    I think a lot of other LCP shooters use them.
    Diddle and sliponby like this.

The majority of .380 owners I have known or worked with carry the Gold Saber 102gr. Several local LEO agencies order it in .380 also, even when they spec other brands in larger calibers.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

sgb
    Winchester 95gr FMJFP
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

The FBI standard for penetration is 12 inches minimum, with 15 preferred. Out of a short barrel, JHPs aren't going to meet the minimum (assuming they expand).

FMJ, OTOH, will get 16-17 inches. I use 95 gr FMJ-flat points. Standard pressure WWB work fine. You do not need Buffalo Bore or other "+P" ammo.

For tests, take a look at www.GoldenLoki.com gel tests, done with a P3at, which is very similar to the LCP.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    I use Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr.
    I think a lot of other LCP shooters use them.
    Yep this is correct IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

After watching some ballistics tests on YouTube I went with the Critical Defense because of it's deeper penetration. I believe it was sonething like two inches deeper then other rounds in that caliber. Plus I found it at a nice price at Walmart in the Zombie Max variant.

VIP Member
    The best ammo is going to be what functions reliably out of YOUR gun, and you have confidence in. No 2 guns are the same and what is "best" is a matter of personal choice.
    gottabkiddin and Rhcmlc like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I carry Critical Defense in mine. It feeds well and has been reliable. I have never had to shoot anyone so I can't say anything about stopping a bad guy and hopefully I never will have to. I did choose to move to a 9 mm large pocket gun the Kel Tec PF 9 simple because the 9 mm is hotter and has a heavier bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The FBI standard for penetration is 12 inches minimum, with 15 preferred. Out of a short barrel, JHPs aren't going to meet the minimum (assuming they expand).

FMJ, OTOH, will get 16-17 inches. I use 95 gr FMJ-flat points. Standard pressure WWB work fine. You do not need Buffalo Bore or other "+P" ammo.

For tests, take a look at www.GoldenLoki.com gel tests, done with a P3at, which is very similar to the LCP.
    I agree, I'll take penetration over expansion.
    kmagnuss and bmcgilvray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suds1421 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a lcp for pocket carry when my xdm 9mm is too bulky. My concern is the small 380 round. What 380 round should I look at for maximum knock down power? I'd rather get a small 9 but I looked at the kahr cm9 and tried it in my jeans pocket and it was too big to fit comfortably.
    I'd stager the load, a Gold Dot JHP being the first round out then a truncated FMJ round. Don't even study the one shot stop, or the .380 ACP isn't enough stuff/crowd. The round will do the job if the shooter can shoot worth a hill a beans. So many BGS have been sent on their way with the .380 and less that it's not even worth mentioning here. If you are going to carry a .380 you just need to adopt the mindset that; if he was worth one, he's worth a couple more.

The best rounds out there for the .380 are from Buffalo Bore, but being you said LCP which is not rated for the +p ammo I'd stick to the stagered round and be satisfied with wounding and penetration being delivered by two rounds. Regardless of what caliber you carry, you will most likely need more than the "one round stop" mantra to close out the deal anyway. I'd also say, proficiency will run hand and hand with effective caliber choice, in fact, I'd almost say it trumps the caliber choice when it comes down to a gun fight.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links