Kahr CM9 slide spring

Kahr CM9 slide spring

This is a discussion on Kahr CM9 slide spring within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was checking out some smaller guns today and I finally looked at the Kahr CM9. I liked everything about the gun, but the slide ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CM9 slide spring

Kahr CM9 slide spring

I was checking out some smaller guns today and I finally looked at the Kahr CM9. I liked everything about the gun, but the slide was very hard to operate. It must have a heck of a spring in there. The gun store guy said it would break in but it was just a bear to pull back. BTW I am not a wimp, I am a mechanic so I do have some strength. Just looking for advice. Maybe I am just to used to my Sig P238, and my Sig 22

Steve

The CM9 as new are tough to rack the slide. Small area to grip and it has sought spring. It does get easier after you clean it and shoot it about 200 rounds. They are very accurate at defensive distances and the trigger is very consistent. For evening walks I grab the cm9 and a remora holster. Sweat pants and sweat shirt it carries wonderfully.

I agree they are very tight when new. I have had mine for about a year and really like it. I put a Crimson Trace on mine and carry it a lot. Go to Kahrtalk and find the sticky on breaking in a new Kahr. i followed the directions on the thread and have had no problems with any of my 3 Kahrs.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find that most micro 9mms, and larger calibers, will have a pretty stiff recoil spring. In the case of the tiny Kahrs, there are two springs and they have to do a lot of work in a very small space. Like most things, the more you do it, the easier and more natural it becomes. All Kahrs are +P rated and have fairly high rated springs. It's the nature of the beast, so to speak.

I have an MK9 and a small wife. It took her a while to get the hang of it. After 200+ rounds, it smoothed up, but it is intentionally powerful, since we use 147g in it all the time.

I also have a CM9 that has gotten a bit earier to rack after 400 rounds. I had some problems with the little monster in the beginning but would not want to part with it now. EDC except in the very hottest weather. Very accurate for me and the size is perfect IMHO.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

I have P9 in 9mm. I like the gun but the slide is a bit heavy, but the little P9 is great shooter. The trigger reminds me Ruger LCR.
    Vodek

I used to have a CM9 and I followed the advice that they gave me in the Kahrtalk forum which was put on a good pair of gloves and rack the slide around 500 times. I probably racked the slide on mine 700-800 times over a weeks time and it made a huge difference and saved a lot of ammo. I got rid of it because I hated that looooong trigger pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Rack it a bunch of times. My PM9 took a little break in. The slide offers little weight, so it needs a stout spring.

Thanks for the advice. I went to the kahr site and read the break in procedure. I was just surprized when I grabbed the slide and pulled it back. I still want the gun because it is the perfect size, the trigger is very smooth, and the price is right.
    Steve

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Don't waist time racking on it. Clean it ,lube well and go shoot it. Buy some good fed, rem or magtec 124gr fmjammo ,rack it one time to chamber it and shoot a couple box's useing the slide release/ hold open to chamber a new first round of a mag and keep shooting . Some where along the way it will simply lighten up. If my 100lb girl can rack both my CW and the double spring CM you can deal with it. They are great little pistols .

It'll never be as easy to rack as the super slick Sig 238, but it shouldn't be difficult for you. Give it some time and lower your expectations a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by Shardy53 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I went to the kahr site and read the break in procedure. I was just surprized when I grabbed the slide and pulled it back. I still want the gun because it is the perfect size, the trigger is very smooth, and the price is right.
    Steve
    Exactly why I bought it. Just get it and break it in and don't be worried about the spring. You will like it.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    why buy a 380 when you can have a 9mm. Even the sig238 is a compromised 380 and heavy for a small caliber and costly

NMB
    Once you put a few boxes through it, it will loosen up. Mine has been flawless through about 500 rounds, and gets better each time I take it out.

I carry my CM9 daily in a el-cheapo uncle mikes iwb holster.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links