used glock question

used glock question

This is a discussion on used glock question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking of buying a used g19 buy I've never bought a used gun before and much less a used glock (I've only ever bought ...

used glock question

I'm thinking of buying a used g19 buy I've never bought a used gun before and much less a used glock (I've only ever bought new). What should I look for when buying a used glock as far as condition and other concerns (please be as specific as possible, thanks)

APBT

Not too much, really. Look at the breech face- it may have some machine marks, or not, depending on its age, but you would be looking for any cracks. Take the slide off, and look at the slide rails- they sould not feel loose, or look like they are seperating from the frame. I would check the firing pin, and make sure it doesn't have a cracked/broken tip. Pretty much what you'd do on any other auto, and quite a bit less than some. Firing pin can be replaced, bad slide/frame would be a no-go.

Personally, I would replace all the springs, unless this is a 3rd generation (finger groove), and do a detail strip, and thorough cleaning.

Senior Moderator
    The biggy is typically barrel condition, so the barrel needs to be examined. I suppose the generation could be important. Gen 2s don't have the light rails or finger grooves, gen 3s do.

You'll want to be sure the slide to frame fit isn't overly loose although Glocks have a fairly loose fit. And of course make sure the thing functions correctly, i.e. trigger release, trigger reset, etc.

Notice if it comes with 10 round mags instead of 15, in the case of a G-19. Although I wouldn't let 10 round mags be a deal break or make, because Glock mags are about as cheap as mags can get. But it may be a good negotiating point.

Beyond that, you'd almost need to disassemble the gun to see if the connector and trigger bar had been modified - there's a lot of Glock tinkers out there and it may have been traded because they messed it up.

One test you can do to test the integrity of the sears is to rack and release the slide and pull up on the rear of the slide. If there is too much play in the slide-frame or if someone tried to shorten the trigger pull by "adjusting" the sears, pulling up on the slide could cause the sears to release.

You should do the opposite too, i.e. rack the slide and release it and then press down on the back of the slide and make sure the trigger will still release the firing pin. If someone has installed an aftermarket connector, they can be adjusted too tight to release the sears if there is downward pressure on the back of the slide.

Even if the gun is in good shape, it'd probably be a good idea to replace the recoil spring.

Make sure the gun is "Empty". Pull the slide back 1/4 inch and try to pull the trigger. It shouldn't allow it to fire.

Take a wooden pencil. Stick it in the barrel, eraser first. Cock and pull trigger. Make sure that the gun is pointed up. Pencil should come out of barrel smartly...

Cock slide. Try to fire by pulling trigger from the sides and not engaging the trigger safety in the center of the trigger...

VIP Member
    Here's a link to a resource I found the other day:

http://www.glockfaq.com/generalinfo.htm#used

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by APBT View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a used g19 buy I've never bought a used gun before and much less a used glock (I've only ever bought new). What should I look for when buying a used glock as far as condition and other concerns (please be as specific as possible, thanks)

APBT
    Unless its been stored outside in the drainage gutter, price is the only thing to worry about...

its a glock!
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

Links