Kimber ultra with Bobtail??

Kimber ultra with Bobtail??

This is a discussion on Kimber ultra with Bobtail?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at getting a kimber ultra carry as an EDC gun. I like the look of the super carry, but want to ...

Thread: Kimber ultra with Bobtail??

Question Kimber ultra with Bobtail??

I have been looking at getting a kimber ultra carry as an EDC gun. I like the look of the super carry, but want to make my carry gun a little more unique and fit to me. Is it possible to bobtail a 3" 1911? I talked to kimber and they don't do a true bobtail and so I would have to find someone who can do it aftermarket. Can it be done, if anyone has done it please post pictures and tell me where you got it done, and if anyone knows any quality gunsmiths in the far north (aka near Minnesota) please let me know. Thanks!
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

JD
    Administrator
    Not really, a true bobtail removes extra material from the frame and requires some parts from the "Ultra" sized pistols to make it work right, there's not really enough material on the Officers/Ultra sized guns to make a Bobtail.

There are some mild "rounded" framed compact 1911s like the Super Carry line and some offerings from Dan Wesson but no "true" Bobtail.

Kimber Ultra Carry has a "shortened grip-frame". No one that I know is offering a Bobtail on anything less than a full-length grip-frame. That generally means (with rare exceptions) a "Commander" or full size 1911.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thanks for the info.. I guess I have a little more shopping to do then.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

The closest I have come....
    Ultra carry II Round heel frame.

You mentioned Super Carry Ultra? how about the plus?

NRA Life
    SASS 96744

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

Josey those are the very guns I have been contemplating. How did you get the bottom of the frame rounded on the Ultra Carry? Is that something you did yourself or did you send it to a smith?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    Josey those are the very guns I have been contemplating. How did you get the bottom of the frame rounded on the Ultra Carry? Is that something you did yourself or did you send it to a smith?
    The bottom picture is a factory round butt, the Ultra Carry + is a 3" Upper on a full size frame allowing for the full round-butt.

Judging from the pics of the 1st gun, it's either another variant of Custom Shop gun or has had some work done/parts swapped out.

Thanks JD.. I have looked (and drooled over) plenty of kimbers I just wasn't sure how much I could modify a short frame 1911. I have shopped around a bit but I really wanted to see if anyone has done anything similar.. I have been reading about some people doing the mods themselves and just sanding down part of the frame to achieve that rounded edge without having to re-drill any holes etc. That little rounded edge makes a huge difference in overall comfort IMO, and so I am just testing the waters so far. I will probably end up with an Ultra Carry II and leave it stock for a while and then maybe as a birthday present to myself change some things on it. Maybe add some grips from sarge too..

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    The bottom gun is a Super Carry Ultra Plus with some mods. Top gun is an Ultra carry II, I sent this one to a smith for a round butt, (metal MSH) bobbed beavertail grip safety, bobbed thumb safety and a refinish in cerokote.
    I wanted a Kimber RCP style gun but with sights, I also have the RCP with trench sights.
    Of course I am partial to round butts! :-)
    NRA Life
    SASS 96744

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

I have a kimber pro carry in stainless and I figure it probably needs a loud little brother..

Sponsored Links