Got to shoot a guy's Kimber Super Carry Ultra+ - the guy has 22 Kimbers!

This is a discussion on Got to shoot a guy's Kimber Super Carry Ultra+ - the guy has 22 Kimbers! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After we finished shooting, I struck up a conversation with the guy that had been shooting in the lane beside me at my indoor range. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By whoppo
  • 1 Post By MJK

Thread: Got to shoot a guy's Kimber Super Carry Ultra+ - the guy has 22 Kimbers!

Senior Moderator

Got to shoot a guy's Kimber Super Carry Ultra+ - the guy has 22 Kimbers!

After we finished shooting, I struck up a conversation with the guy that had been shooting in the lane beside me at my indoor range. While conversing, I noticed he was carrying what appeared to be some kind of Kimber Super Carry, so I asked him. It was a Kimber Super Carry Ultra+ ! That's one of the guns on my list.

As we talked, he removed his carry ammo from the gun and laid a box of range ammo and the Ultra+ on the bench and said go for it.

In case you aren't familiar with it, the Ultra+ is a full size grip with a 3" barrel. I really liked the concept as soon as I saw a pic of one. This Ultra+ was two-tone, the only thing I didn't like about it, with an aluminum frame.

I immediately noticed how light it felt, and I had just finished shooting 200 rounds through a Glock 17, which is a light gun itself, so I was pleasantly surprised at how light it felt. I loaded only 5 rounds to not take advantage of the generous offer, and was expecting a handful of recoil. I don't even remember the recoil.

The gun shot really well, I didn't do my part quite as well as I should have; one excuse I'll offer is I had been shooting my Glock 17 with Pro Sights and the Pro Sights have simply ruined me. But I did get a pretty good group at 7 yds with the Ultra+.

I asked him if he had any problems with his Kimber. He said "Which one, I have 22 Kimbers!" And no, he has had no problems with them! Well, long story short - finally you say, he did have one issue with the Ultra+. Sometimes when he racks the slide to load the chamber, the slide doesn't close all the way. I thought the recoil spring felt light for such a short barreled gun and I wonder if he needs to change the recoil spring. Or it may he hasn't shot it enough to lap everything in. Kimber says because they build their guns so tight, they recommend 400-500 rounds of 230 gn ball ammo for break in. He may not have reached that yet.

Although I only shot the 5 rounds, they were flawless. The Super Carry Ultra+ seems to be a perfect gun for a shoulder holster as a backup to a primary gun.

I think, though, I'd prefer a Super Carry Ultra + HD. The HD models have steel frames instead of aluminum frames, but I'm not aware such a model exists for the Ultra+. I have a Super Carry Pro II HD and dearly love it. The pro line has a 4 inch barrel and full grip.

Another nice model from Kimber!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    22 Kimbers... Nothing exceeds like excess :)
    bigmacque likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

MJK
    I have 2 Kimber 1911's and haven't carried them for years. They are nice weapons but I prefer Glocks because of their low cost, demonstrated reliability and simple design.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    22 Kimbers... Nothing exceeds like excess :)
    I guess. Another guy I know has 18 Kimbers. I have 7 myself.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I respect a Kimber but I'd put some of that money into a few Wilson Combat, Les Baer 1911's. ;)
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I looked at the Ultra+ but I wanted the concealability of the smaller grip frame so I went for the Ultra CDP II. I absolutely love it.

I have had three Kimbers. I know own only two. I sold one of them, not because of any problems with it, but because I saw some new bright and shiny toys that I wanted, so I sold it and used the money for my other toys. I know there are people who say that Kimbers are POS, but I have not had any problems with my three. Perhaps I'm just lucky. I don't know. But I would have no problem with buying another one if I ever want another 1911.

I bought the first one back in the mid '90s and have many thousands of rounds through it and still haven't had any issues with it that could not be attributed to operator error. I shoot bullseye competition with it and it is extremely accurate. The only thing I did was go to a much lighter recoil spring to accommodate my light target loads, and I added rosewood grip panels just because I like the look of them.

ETA: I have also used this pistol to take a few defensive shooting classes. All I had to do was swap out the recoil spring for a 22lb and I was ready to go. No problems. I would have no reservations about using it to defend my life and that of my loved ones.
    Last edited by SmokinFool; September 11th, 2012 at 10:14 PM.

Colt made one like this also...

A few years ago Colt marketed a 3 inch Defender model with a government length grip called the "Defender Plus". It sounds very similar to the Kimber you describe, and also has an aluminum frame. Here is a picture I found on the web of the Defender Plus:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Links