9mm Purse carry... MK9 and K9 compared to CM9

This is a discussion on 9mm Purse carry... MK9 and K9 compared to CM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me preface this by saying that my girlfriend has tendinitis, and is very recoil sensitive. I bought an LCR .38 a while back, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm Purse carry... MK9 and K9 compared to CM9

9mm Purse carry... MK9 and K9 compared to CM9

Let me preface this by saying that my girlfriend has tendinitis, and is very recoil sensitive.

I bought an LCR .38 a while back, and she likes it, but doesn't like shooting it much because it makes her hand hurt. When I shoot my CM9, I think it has less recoil than that .38, so I handed it to her last time I was shooting it. She shot a few rounds and handed it back to me stating that it wasn't much better than the revolver.

My questions are, the weight of the steel pistols (sticking to Kahr for comparison purposes) is substantially different than the CM9 (or PM9, which seems to be otherwise identical to the MK9)? How much of a translation is that going to be into felt recoil? The K9 is a full ounce heavier, and also a half-inch longer in the grip. Will that make things easier still? It seems that if the grip was longer in the hand, it would make recoil more manageable. And, the final question is aimed at the girls... how much of a pain in the a..shoulder is the added weight going to be for purse carry?

I've considered going to a .380, but they all seem to be light enough that the lessor energy won't translate into less felt recoil.

CM9 (3.0" Barrel)
    Black polymer frame, matte stainless slide
    MSRP: $517.00
    Capacity: 6+1
    Length O/A: 5.42"
    Height: 4.0"
    Slide Width: .90"
    Weight: Pistol 14 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces

MK9 (3" Barrel)
    Matte stainless steel
    MSRP: $855.00
    Capacity: 6+1, 7+1 (magazine with grip extension)
    Length O/A: 5.3"
    Height: 4.0"
    Weight: Pistol 22.1 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces

K9 (3.465" Barrel)
    Matte stainless steel
    MSRP: $855.00
    Capacity: 7+1
    Length O/A: 6.0"
    Height: 4.5"
    Weight: Pistol 23.1 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

I had the same dilemma as I bought my wife a LCR .38 and the recoil was to much for her arthritis even with the low recoil Hydrashok. While at the range she tried my LC9 with Pachmyr grip and fell in love. Long story short we sold the revolver and she bought her own LC9. She dedicated a center zip up pocket exclusively in her purse for it with a sturdy Desantis holster. We both carry gold dot 124 grain and it works great. Momma's happy, everybody is happy.

I hate to give the standard answer... but she need to shoot them. My wife hates my PM9 for all the reasons you mention, but she doesn't stop complaining about recoil until she gets to a Glock 19. What about moving all the way up to a 3rd Gen Smith 3913? To me they are close to an all steal M&P Shield and if the purse is large enough and designed for a gun it shouldn't be an issue.

Star Firestar M43 9mm. Single Stack all steel, SAO and heavy as a brick. Felt recoil is like shooting a .22. Since Star is no longer in business, you can find used models on Gunbroker.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Since pocket size is not a requirement, try Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by ronlarimer View Post
    I hate to give the standard answer... but she need to shoot them.
    The problem was, the town we were in didn't have an option for that... I wished at the time she could shoot it first. We're moving to Seattle soon, so I'll find a way for her to shoot whatever we buy next... don't wanna spend the money on anything else she's not gonna carry. We'll keep the LCR though, it's a good snake gun, I don't want to run shotshells through the .40s.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Star Firestar M43 9mm. Single Stack all steel, SAO and heavy as a brick. Felt recoil is like shooting a .22. Since Star is no longer in business, you can find used models on Gunbroker.
    My dad has that in .40, actually the first .40 I'd ever shot. Great pistol, I didn't even think of getting one in 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    Since pocket size is not a requirement, try Shield.
    I might look into it. I was sticking to other Kahr models in my comparison because I have a CM9, and it keeps things in perspective.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I own the MK9 and the PM9. IMO, there's a difference in recoil, but it's not much.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I have a couple different ccw purses. If you get a nice one with a thick strap the weight isn't noticed to much BUT you have to make sure you don't over fill the purse to begin with. I have Fibromyalgia and sometimes the hands are bad sometimes the shoulders. When you wear your purse it is across the chest so it does take some of the weight off the shoulder. She might think of a tummy holster too. They are very comfortable to wear and hold many size guns. Even when I have a bad day the recoil on my sr9c isn't to bad. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by minimalbrat; September 12th, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

While you're shopping/shooting pistols I'd strongly suggest you check out a Walther PPS. Great reputation, accurate and uber reliable.

I've put several thousand rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through mine with zero malfunctions over the last two years.

It's a fine handgun by any measure.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I have both the PM9 and K9. The combination of the longer grip and heavier weight absolutely makes the K9 easier to shoot well with less felt recoil. I'd be very surprised if she had a problem with the K9 recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    I have both the PM9 and K9. The combination of the longer grip and heavier weight absolutely makes the K9 easier to shoot well with less felt recoil. I'd be very surprised if she had a problem with the K9 recoil.
    That's good feedback HD, thanks.

Now I just need to find someone who has one, or a range that will let us shoot one in the Seattle area...

-- John F. Kennedy

Has she tried some standard pressure 158 gr SWCs out of the LCR? You could even go with 148 gr full wadcutters. Mild recoil, and will cut a full caliber hole through whatever it hits.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

livewire

The k9 looks real nice.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    livewire

The k9 looks real nice.
    I think I might want the black one for myself, lol. A pair might be in order if she likes it.

-- John F. Kennedy

lol I was looking online and saw a real pretty one. Will have to see if I can find some place to try one out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links