Kimber 1911s not working out for SWAT cops.

This is a discussion on Kimber 1911s not working out for SWAT cops. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ntkb My Kimber has just over 21,000 rounds through it, I have replaced the firing pin stop, with Ed Brown, as to ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Kimber 1911s not working out for SWAT cops.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    My Kimber has just over 21,000 rounds through it, I have replaced the firing pin stop, with Ed Brown, as to get the empty cases to fall in the same area. Also have replaced the extractor with Wilson because the MIM extractor would require resetting every few hundred rounds. I have shot 3-4 hundred rounds in a day without any failures at all. Seems to me it will shoot all the ammo I am carrying at any given time, for defense.
    I'm very late on this, but Kimbers do NOT have MIM extractors - Kimber uses tool steel extractors and stainless steel barrel bushings.
    rigel42 likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

I think I'll start a thread every other month or so, crap talking about your Sig's, or your Glocks, or your Younameits, just to level the playing field. I like Kimber pistols, and you're opinion is just that, your opinion. Intelligent statements like " Kimber makes great paper weights" must be designed to provoke fights on here. Just don't get it I guess.

LAPD Swat, arguably the finest Special Weapons and Tactics Team in the United States, are still issued Kimber 1911's, to the best of my knowledge. Guess they don't read the CCW forum huh?

You guys crack me up.
    goldmaster likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Re: Kimber 1911s not working out for SWAT cops.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I think I'll start a thread every other month or so, crap talking about your Sig's, or your Glocks, or your Younameits, just to level the playing field. I like Kimber pistols, and you're opinion is just that, your opinion. Intelligent statements like " Kimber makes great paper weights" must be designed to provoke fights on here. Just don't get it I guess.

LAPD Swat, arguably the finest Special Weapons and Tactics Team in the United States, are still issued Kimber 1911's, to the best of my knowledge. Guess they don't read the CCW forum huh?

You guys crack me up.
    They are using custom guns. Not the off the shelf stuff. It is worked over for reliability. FBI's HRT is issued a Springfield custom shop 1911 similar to the Springfield professional model. They don't get the same stuff you buy off the shelf. You can however order a custom shop gun if you wanted.

Kimber has a reputation for problems. A search would tell you that. From magazine issues to feed issues. Not all their guns are bad but be honest, just cause some group choose that manufacturer does not mean you get the same quality and specs in an off the shelf model.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    My thoughts are these:

2. On a 1911 forum I frequent there is a thread about officers who carry Kimbers on active duty, more carry Kimber than any other brands
    6. Comparing a Kimber to a Dan Wesson or Ed Brown is silly (as some of you have), not only are they custom guns they cost 3-4 times more.
    2: price and production capability. I can pretty much guarantee if they could get Wilson combat cqb elites for the same price and with the same production capacity as Kimber, it would be so. They simply cannot. Kimber can produce x number of pistols and keep it below y price.

6: Dan Wesson is not a custom gun and is not even close to 3x more than a kimber. They are production guns that happen to be well fitted. All tool steel parts, many of them from ed brown. Also you can spend $1100 on a kimber or $1200 on a Dan Wesson and the difference is night and day to someone who knows what makes a reliable and accurate 1911(fitting, barrel lock up etc). I paid $930 for my Dan Wesson cbob brand new. It is better made than a $1200 kimber by far.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Double post sorry
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    They are using custom guns. Not the off the shelf stuff. It is worked over for reliability. FBI's HRT is issued a Springfield custom shop 1911 similar to the Springfield professional model. They don't get the same stuff you buy off the shelf. You can however order a custom shop gun if you wanted.

Kimber has a reputation for problems. A search would tell you that. From magazine issues to feed issues. Not all their guns are bad but be honest, just cause some group choose that manufacturer does not mean you get the same quality and specs in an off the shelf model.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3
    I've owned two, a Stainless II and an Ultra Raptor II that comes from their Custom Shop. Gave the Stainless II to my youngest son when his daughter was born, and carry the Ultra Raptor daily, with ZERO problems. Yeah, a search would tell you Kimber has a reputation for problems;written by people who can't afford a Kimber most likely. I'm really tired of the argument. Whatever you like and trust, is good for you, and the same is true for me. You know that old joke about "You lay a thousand bricks and nobody calls you a bricklayer" right? I think it's an appropriate analogy here.
    goldmaster likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Let me be the first

Not likely to happen here. LOL
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

For the $700+ price tag, you'd think that they would sell a quality gun. I've worked on and shot a couple of Kimbers and I'm not impressed with their product. For your money, you'd be better served buying a Para, STI, Springfield, or any of the other 1911's that cost at least $100 less than the Kimber. They are marketed like a super-sweet custom gun, but they are overpriced production guns. I don't mean this to sound like a rant, but it's time that Kimber actually gives it's customers what they are paying a premium price for.

As an aside, a buddy at my department also works at a smaller department that allows its officers to select guns from a large list for duty. He chose a Kimber TLE as his piece. So he ordered one from the LGS and after 8+ months of waiting, he contacted the LGS and they said that his model is backordered because they had a large run of guns that didn't meet QC standards and they had to be scrapped. His wait has been upgraded from 4-6 weeks to ?. BTW, this gun is already paid for.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

That sux. I want a kimber

Wingit, I have a stainless pro carry (4")with around 5,000 rounds to it with hardly any ftf/fte. Maybe one every 500 rounds after the break in. My mom has an ultra CDP (3") in 9mm, and originally it had a few problems with ejecting some ammo, but we figured out it doesn't like WWB, and one brand of 124 gr ammo. I have enjoyed both of my guns so much I ordered an ultra carry in .45 as my carry gun. I believe that they have gotten most of the QC issues figured out, especially now that Dan Cohen has left for Sig. As it turns out, Sig has now been having problems with QC from what I have heard. Find a range to rent one or find a buddy that has one to try shooting and then make your own decision. They require more maintenance than a Glock, but they are excellent firearms.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    FBI's HRT is issued a Springfield custom shop 1911 similar to the Springfield professional model.
    The Springfield Professional Model IS the pistol issued the FBI HRT.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Is this thread still active? Wow! Look folks, carry Kimbers if you like 'em (which I do). Don't carry them if you don't like 'em. Problem solved. I can't believe it took six pages to get to that point.

I love my Kimber and ill start carrying it when i can afford the holster that i want for it lol
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

As someone who works part time in a LGS suspect that the "quality problems" with Kimbers has to do with two
    issues

1) Kimber owns the 1911 market, I suspect they sell more than all other brands combined. This tends to
    promote jealousy/ envy from those who choose another brand and want to justify their decision. And also more firearms in the marketplace increases the chance for QC issues. If you sell a hundred guns and have a 1% QC
    issue that's one negative forum post. With a thousand guns it's ten negative posts on a forum, the big gun
    is always some unsatisfied customers target.

2) I suspect that many Kimber owners are first time 1911 purchasers and in many cases first time handgun
    purchases. 1911's require a bit more technical care and maintenance and need to be broken in and run well
    oiled. Many novice owners don't get it. Also 1911's especially with the Schwartz safety are very sensitive to limp
    wrist-ing. Most of the poly guns on the market AKA Glocks require far less break in and run well fairly dry.

I currently carry a Kimber Pro CDP that runs flawlessly with every thing I feed it. I will admit I felt it was a bit
    under sprung and my ejection pattern got a lot crisper when I switched to Wolff Xtra power springs. I also owned an Eclipse 5" I had to sell, it was a far better shooter than I was. I also have an M & P 45, A
    heavily customized Glock 19. Ruger LC9 an Ruger SR22. But my first choice for carry is always my
    Kimber.

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

JD
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Burk View Post
    As someone who works part time in a LGS suspect that the "quality problems" with Kimbers has to do with two
    issues

1) Kimber owns the 1911 market, I suspect they sell more than all other brands combined. This tends to
    promote jealousy/ envy from those who choose another brand and want to justify their decision. And also more firearms in the marketplace increases the chance for QC issues. If you sell a hundred guns and have a 1% QC
    issue that's one negative forum post. With a thousand guns it's ten negative posts on a forum, the big gun
    is always some unsatisfied customers target.

2) I suspect that many Kimber owners are first time 1911 purchasers and in many cases first time handgun
    purchases. 1911's require a bit more technical care and maintenance and need to be broken in and run well
    oiled. Many novice owners don't get it. Also 1911's especially with the Schwartz safety are very sensitive to limp
    wrist-ing. Most of the poly guns on the market AKA Glocks require far less break in and run well fairly dry.

I currently carry a Kimber Pro CDP that runs flawlessly with every thing I feed it. I will admit I felt it was a bit
    under sprung and my ejection pattern got a lot crisper when I switched to Wolff Xtra power springs. I also owned an Eclipse 5" I had to sell, it was a far better shooter than I was. I also have an M & P 45, A
    heavily customized Glock 19. Ruger LC9 an Ruger SR22. But my first choice for carry is always my
    Kimber.
    1: which is why we see some Kimber owners saying "never again"??

2: Just how does the Swartz style firing pin safety make it easier to limp wrist?

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links