Kimber 1911s not working out for SWAT cops.

This is a discussion on Kimber 1911s not working out for SWAT cops. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm in a Hazmat class all week with people from various public safety agencies around central FL, and one of them is a SWAT ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Kimber 1911s not working out for SWAT cops.

Kimber 1911s not working out for SWAT cops.

So I'm in a Hazmat class all week with people from various public safety agencies around central FL, and one of them is a SWAT cop with a county Sheriff's department (should I say who, or is that not acceptable?). Anyway, we were talking guns on a break since he was wearing a Kimber 1911 and I was surprised to see a single action in a cop's holster. He was telling me that of the 30 pistols they had bought (for a great price including tac light) that 18 of them had been returned to Kimber for peening of the firing pin hole. He said no guns had slam-fired but one did separate the firing pin, spring, and back plate when the pin locked forward amd the plate moved downwards. He also said there had been failures of the (MIM) ambi safety levers due to cracking. He wasn't sure how many of those had occured. In talking with him I get the impression he knows more than the average guy about MIM and guns in general. He also said he asked for his Glock back and was told no. FWIW, ammo is 200gr +p Gold Dot. He was carrying in a Serpa OWB.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Let me be the first

grouse, rigel42, JDE101 and 3 others like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

which kimber?

Keep the popcorn, I'm just gonna sit this one out.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac25 View Post
    which kimber?
    More than half of them, according to the original post.
    CJM, joker1 and NMB like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Let me be the first

+1 on the above. They're now recently being called "mimbers" due to so many MIM parts being implemented into them. Kinda sad, cuz they're a really nice pistol. Time for more steel parts in them.
    They had other issues in the past, but the "Kimber Crowd" as they're called, migrated to another large Firearms manufacturer
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Let me be the first

Yep. I'm out. Y'all go ahead though. I need some free entertainment. I think.
    JerryMac likes this.

CJM
    Hang on I'll be right back, need to get a cup of coffee to go along with the popcorn.
    Philly Boy likes this.

I hate ambi safeties on 1911's. Most manufacturers are using MIM these day's. If I was to buy a new 1911 these days I would replace the sear, safety and the slide lock with machined parts.

Kimber manufacturers an exquisite paper weight.

ETA: For a SWAT cop he certainly chose a real POS holster for that 1911. I personally know instructors that will not allow that particular holster in their pistol classes. But that's another story for another thread.

Another question I have is why the choice of a "+P" round of slightly lighter grain weight in a Government size 1911 ? There's really no advantage too increasing the pressure unless it's a 3" sub type platform. The added pressure is not real advantagious, especially with so many MIM parts in that gun.

Over.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I think he just saw something he wants but his wife told him he couldn't buy. When cops are going door to door begging for handouts from the general population who are already overpaying for their inflated budgets, I have a hard time believing that a $2000 gun is malfunctioning. Do you really need a kimber or a dodge charger?! My STI Eagle is way more accurate, reliable and the same weight as a kimber. A 2012 Ford cruiser is just as fast as a Charger. Quit making the taxpayer fork over more money so you can have the latest model without paying for it.
    JerryMac and kmagnuss like this.

Let's not get started on the MIM stuff again. A poorly-made bar stock machining will fail just as quickly as a poorly-made MIM piece. If MIM by itself was so bad, we wouldn't be using it as much as we do in aerospace applications. Oh, and forged parts are always better than cast, right? Ahem... Browning switched from forged to cast to eliminate a cracking problem with machined, forged slides on their .40 S&W HiPowers.

Bottom line is, look beyond just the material fabrication process for causes of failures.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I think he just saw something he wants but his wife told him he couldn't buy. When cops are going door to door begging for handouts from the general population who are already overpaying for their inflated budgets, I have a hard time believing that a $2000 gun is malfunctioning. Do you really need a kimber or a dodge charger?! My STI Eagle is way more accurate, reliable and the same weight as a kimber. A 2012 Ford cruiser is just as fast as a Charger. Quit making the taxpayer fork over more money so you can have the latest model without paying for it.
    Ford discontinued the Crown Vic and the Charger actually costs less than the new Ford Interceptor or Chevy Caprice. Only the Imapala is coming in under the Charger, or at least that's what our local SO is paying.

As for the STI Eagle, it has about the same MSRP as any higher end Kimber @ $1,963.69, actually the Kimber TLE RL II has an MSRP almost $1K less than that STI @ $1,149.00.

And yes, $2000 guns can and do malfunction.

Why the USMUSOC purchased Colts............no substitute for the Horse.....IMO.
    grouse and keboostman like this.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Ford discontinued the Crown Vic and the Charger actually costs less than the new Ford Interceptor or Chevy Caprice. Only the Imapala is coming in under the Charger, or at least that's what our local SO is paying.

As for the STI Eagle, it has about the same MSRP as any higher end Kimber @ $1,963.69, actually the Kimber TLE RL II has an MSRP almost $1K less than that STI @ $1,149.00.

And yes, $2000 guns can and do malfunction.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links