Defensive Carry banner

Advice

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Poseidon 
#1 ·
I am currently deployed and looking to buy a few guns when I return home. I want to get an AK-47 and I don't really know what is important to look for in a decent ak. Also I am thinking about getting a Glock 32. I have read alot about how it is a really great round. Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Do you want an actual AK47 or something built on the AK platform? If the AK platform will suffice, I'd recommend something from SAIGA. They are built on the AK platform, and available in 7.62X39, 5.56X45 (.223) and 7.62X51 (.308).

As to the Glock question, don't own one, don't want one, and have no need for something in .357 Sig.

#3 ·
.357 Sig is a great round; no doubt effective but a bit of an odd/costly round. Nothing wrong with that if you know it going in. Can't say anything about Glocks other than I wish my hand was a bit larger and if I was going to war I'd want a Glock but for CCW they're a bit too thick for me.

AK's; again a great rugged platform but it's the round thing again. Good luck on the rest of your deployment and hope you get home soon and safe.

Gideon

#4 ·
The .357 Sig is a good round, but like mentioned, a bit pricy and load options are somewhat limited. It will get the job done. Glocks seem to be a "Love then or hate them" handgun, but I suspect the haters are more vocal. I have no complaints about my Glock 30. It does what it's supposed to do--fire every time I pull the trigger. Glocks aren't perfect for everyone, but what handgun is?

#7 ·
GLOCK 19 (9x19) or if you must have more power GLOCK 30 (.45 acp). Don't have any use for .357 Sig. Good 9x19 ammo will do what needs to be done.

Also interested in buying the perfect AK47 (7.62 x 39, bayonet, out from under a corpse reliable) for a reasonable price.

#9 ·
I already have 9mm, .357 mag, .45 ACP. I really don't need the pistol just a new toy I guess. I would also like to have an AK like that but they are impossible to bring back lol

GLOCK 19 (9x19) or if you must have more power GLOCK 30 (.45 acp). DOn't have ny use for .357 Sig. Good 9x19 ammo will do what needs to be done.

Also interested in buying the perfect AK47 (7.62 x 39, bayonet, out from under a corpse realiable) for a reasonable price.

#8 ·
Like others have said IRT handgun selection, check out your local gun stores, Walmart and online for available ammo and prices. That might affect your caliber selection.

I have a G19 IWB at the moment, loaded up with good 147gr HP. It was one of my first EDC's, and after many purchases later, it has come full-circle back to being my preferred EDC again.

#10 ·
CVarner. Welcome to the forum.

In regards to the .357 SIG never owned one, looks like a great round. Pricey to shoot, something to play with. To me will not do anything a 9mm or other standard caliber will do.

Now to the AK. AK's like M4's have so many models and variants that it can make your head swim. There are few things you can decide on before hand that can narrow down the choices to a more realistic level.
First caliber. 7.62 x 39 or 5.45 x 39? All mine are in 7.62 never owned a 5.45. Ammo for the 5.45 is cheaper but ussually all corrosive as far as training/surplus ammo. The 7.62 will do everything you want it to do and ammo and mags are always available. Mags for the 5.45 can be hard to come by and expensive.

Secondly what is your budget? This will determine generally what type quality rifle you can get. You also have to ask yourself do you want a traditional AK platform or one that has "improved" features? You can get a surplus type AK for under $600 that are generally ok but you may run into a few minor problems. Be very careful about buying surplus guns over the internet especially in 5.45 caliber. Many of these guns are put together with parts. One of those parts being the barrels, the problem is they do not use 5.45 barrels they use 5.56 barrels which cause problems with the rounds being unstable and keyholing.

You will need to decide on stock configuration such as side folder, underfolder, fixed and so on. Folder are generally not as stable as fixed with the exception be an AK 100 sidefolder which when locked you cannot tell the difference from a fixed stock.

Lastly what are you gonna use it for? Casual plinking? Training? Just to have? A basic WASR AK will fill your AK desires. They are inexpensive, reliable and if there are in problems they are relatively easy fixes. Saiga and Arsenal are top choice in a higher grade AK. Check on Atlantic Firearms website they have several variations including those converted over to use AR type stocks, Bolton Gas Blocks (this mod moves the front sight back to the gas block to give a cleaner look) and other common AK mods.

If you find something shoot me a PM and will help you out if I can. Good luck in your search.

#11 ·
Glock 32 would be nice. Just think about availability of ammo. The AK47? Decent? Most of them are gone or out of the optimal price range now. Krebs and Arsenal....neither will be average price. I don't know how long you've been out of town, but things get worse here by the day to my thinking. Decent AK? Likely they are all around you....not here in the US anymore. The best are still mainly builds and going for over $1500 for the best of re-manufactured parts. Talk to your company CO or armorer and see what they can do. Maybe obtain a C&R FFL in your position at this time and import your own? Better yet.........buy parts and get the local 12 year old AK gunsmith to school you for a couple of weeks on how to build your own. No disrespect intended toward anyone, nor do I condone any illegal activities. Just for a matter of record.
Thank you for your service by the way. Looking forward to your return home.
You're welcome to shoot my SLR-95 any time.....100 rounds gratis.

#12 ·
I have a Saiga, to me it was the best AK for the money ~$500. I did the conversion myself, there is a lot of good info online on how to do it.

If you get the Glock, you can get different barrels for it to shoot other calibers, should you feel so inclined.

#13 ·
I have two 357 SIGs, an M&P and a Glock 32. I'd throw rocks at any 40 (including mine) to get a 357 SIG. Yeah, ammo isn't cheap, and you may not find it at a hardware store. But recoil is less (to me) than my 229 SIG 40. I have never heard anything negative about the cartridge's performance. And I'll tell you what: the thing is accurate. Very. If you can handle paying around 24 bucks for 50 rounds of hardball, and 30 bucks for 50 rounds of Gold Dot (easiest carry ammo to find), jump on one. The specs hold true as well, as 125 grain Lawman clocks 1385 average.

But heed this: you better want one for real. While an excellent cartridge, it is not too popular due to ammo cost and availability. While you can drop a 40 barrel in it, you will have a hard time selling just about anything in 357 SIG.

#14 ·
Cvarner note that Glock does give a military discount thought their LE stocking dealers. 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig start at $398 without night sights. Might be something to be look into when you get back. I did a quick search and the closest LE dealer to Tacoma is north of Seattle

#17 ·
First off..THANK YOU for your service. My son is in Afghanistan as I type this and I got the t-shirt from my Iraq visit in 2007-08. As for the AK's..no subject matter expert here...but have heard Arsenal,Saiga are good. It all comes down to what you want to spend in the end. Now for the Glock..the 32 is a 357SIG..great round(used by FAM,Secret Service,TX DPS to name a few)BUT expensive!! When I took a two-day course out @ CSAT in Texas,Paul Howe runs a Glock in that caliber and loves the round,but makes a point on how expensive it is to shoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.