Would Like Your Opinion

This is a discussion on Would Like Your Opinion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I'm heading to a local gun shop later today check out some guns and hopefully make a purchase. I already have my CCW ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Would Like Your Opinion

Would Like Your Opinion

Hello all.

I'm heading to a local gun shop later today check out some guns and hopefully make a purchase. I already have my CCW permit, however this will be my first gun.

I am looking for something small. Something that I can put in my pocket, in a holster of course. I've had my eyes set on the NAA line of mini revolvers for quite some time.

Do you guys have any other suggestions on what other guns I should look at? Price is going to be a big factor along with the fact that I really want a revolver.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Whats your budget?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There are far better choices caliberwise. I'd look at the lines of a pocket 9mm, a .380 at minimum. They can easily be found at an affordable price (under $400). And then there's always the LCR or J-Frames in .38 Spc.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Depends on several factors, these immediately come to mind:

1. Height
    2. Weight
    3. Body Type
    4. Dress
    5. Caliber You Prefer

Carrying a handgun is a lifestyle change that will require you to dress around your handgun rather than picking a handgun around your dress (unless of course you dress pretty much the same at all times).
    ccw9mm likes this.

J Frame...............don't waste your money on those NAA trinkets...IMO.

I recently received my CCW and have gone through the same thoughts and processes. I had Glock 23's for around the house, but didn't want to carry anything that big. I ended up going with a Ruger LCP .380 and carry it in a wallet holster in my back pocket. For me, this was perfect in that I don't carry a wallet, I carry a moneyclip in my front pocket, so the wallet holster looks perfectly natural in my back pocket and I am very happy with my setup. I did acquire a Glock 27 with a paddle holster to carry when I do want something more powerful primarily during the winter when I'm wearing bulkier clothing and it's easier to keep concealed. Good luck and I know I enjoyed doing the research and the shopping for guns, holsters, etc.

Holster Photo Gallery
    sioux565 likes this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    I recently received my CCW and have gone through the same thoughts and processes. I had Glock 23's for around the house, but didn't want to carry anything that big. I ended up going with a Ruger LCP .380 and carry it in a wallet holster in my back pocket. For me, this was perfect in that I don't carry a wallet, I carry a moneyclip in my front pocket, so the wallet holster looks perfectly natural in my back pocket and I am very happy with my setup. I did acquire a Glock 27 with a paddle holster to carry when I do want something more powerful primarily during the winter when I'm wearing bulkier clothing and it's easier to keep concealed. Good luck and I know I enjoyed doing the research and the shopping for guns, holsters, etc.

Holster Photo Gallery
    I agree with the LCP which I carry in the summer here in Wisconsin in a IWB Ramora. But when it cools a little (hoodie or jacket) I switch to the Kahr CM9. I know they are not revolvers but now that I have the semi's (was a wheel gun guy) I prefer them. The LCP is under 10oz and can be carried any way you want without a prob. The CM9 is 16oz and thin. Love them both. I carry the Beretta PX4 (26oz)when I feel like a real man which is not very often these days.
    Last edited by bandrich; September 12th, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
    sioux565 likes this.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

VIP Member
    5 shot J-Frame S&W or the like.
    Hammerless if you are going to pocket carry religiously.
    JerryMac likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

You really set on a revolver? Preference on caliber?
    I saw a micro Desert Eagle on my local guntrader website for $325 last night.
    I'm just sayin'. I've even given thought to the Kel Tecs for an actual pocket pistol....and lowered my standards for minimum caliber at the same time.
    By the looks of things you're about 50/50 on opinions revolver vs semi auto. I'm not saying that's make it or break it for you. My idea of mini revolvers are worn around the neck or in a belt buckle......22LR to 25ACP. Some of those have an exposed trigger that should never be carried in a pocket.
    All in all, you've got plenty of good advice thus far from the forum.
    Would like your opinion
    Thing is..........first gun. My first gun was never intended for carry since carry wasn't even thought of back then. I sincerely hope you don't walk into the gun shop today and walk away with something you might regret tomorrow.
    I'm heading to a local gun shop later today check out some guns and hopefully make a purchase.
    Hopefully make a purchase says to me that your plastic wallet is melting as we speak. You don't need to make it happen this afternoon. Believe me. #1 on the want list almost always dictates that you enter a one week cooling off period. This gives you a chance to put hard earned money down on something you know you'll want to work with. It also gives you some time to disseminate all these opinions and suggestions you seek today. I'd like to say that I've been in your shoes before....simply because that might make my suggestions seem to hold more weight for you. But honestly......I knew what I wanted to carry before I got my permit. Matter of fact.....I carried on my own farm for years and in my vehicle before the laws made their debut in my state.
    You have time to decide, and this is a chance at making your best decision. You know the old saying that time is worth money? There's a bit more to it than that, but basically it's true. You have my best wishes on this ordeal. I'm not here to tell you what I would do. I'm not here to tell you what you should do. I'm here to tell you that you have many options at this time to do what you'd like to do. Wise decisions usually take time. Further more? Your local gun shop might not have the best price on what you decide to get. Use your local gun shop accordingly. Again.....best wishes finding what you need.
    sioux565 and sensei2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    I already have my CCW permit, however this will be my first gun.
    Suggestion: head to a couple large "rental" ranges, to try out numerous different shaped/sized guns. There are plenty of relatively smaller pistols and revolvers to choose from.

Given this is to be your first gun, I'm assuming you've not had much hands-on firing experience with many different ones, likely not enough to be able to discern your most-important criteria at this point.

I appreciate you'd prefer pocket carry. As a primary criterion, that's going to limit sizing to what can fit in the pocket comfortably, holstered, while still avoiding being obviously a gun. Be aware that clothing and body shape largely affects this. Whatever pants you choose have got to have enough room for you to easily, quickly and reliably grab the butt of the gun. It also needs to be roomy enough to decently conceal the bulge a holstered gun's going to create.

If this is truly to be your first gun, a large "rental" range will allow you to rent numerous different guns. You'll see how they function, whether you can reach and operate all the controls easily, whether you can reliably put rounds on target with a given gun. The trick is, not all puny guns are hard to keep on target, and not all seemingly larger guns are hard to conceal. Can't know that until you've got them in hand.

As for concealment, the specific holster's going to make a good bit of difference. Some makers know their art well, using leather that's firm enough yet cut and curved thinly enough blend the bulges of the gun into the shape of your leg. Some holster makers, on the other hand, just build a blocky, stiff thing that'll hold your gun, sure, but will scream "concealed weapon" louder than you saying those words. Hunting for the right one is the main reason, I think, that many of us have drawers full of holsters we've tried, many of which turned out to be marginal as compared to the best matches. If you're right-handed, very likely you can find a few people locally who pocket carry and would allow you to test/try whether that gun/holster combination works in your pocket. It'll give you more to go on simply than what others say works for them, with their clothing and shapes.

For some choices in the smaller size range, check: MouseGuns, including their Pocket Guns article, their Pocket Auto Comparison, and their Under 20oz Chart.

For a first revolver, I'd suggest considering the Ruger SP-101, Ruger LCR, S&W 340/440/640 series.

For a first semi-auto, I'd suggest considering the Kahr PM9, Kahr P380, S&W Shield, perhaps one of the Taurus 709/738/740 pistols.

If willing to go concealed via IWB/OWB, the whole field opens up. Plenty of options, if going outside the pocket sizing.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 12th, 2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: clarification
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Listen to Ramrod and wait a few days, if you have too wait a few weeks or months and save money to get you something that you really like.

Those little min-revovlers are neat but are more back-up/hideaway guns than defensive pistols. If you want a revolver then check out Tuarus or Charter arms 38spl snubnose revolvers. You should be able to buy a new one for around $350-$400.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    If you want a revolver then check out Tuarus or Charter arms 38spl snubnose revolvers. You should be able to buy a new one for around $350-$400.
    And if willing to go "old school" to some of the prior-generation snubbies, there are a good number of older S&W, Colt and other revolvers available relatively inexpensively on the used market, such as through the online Auction sites. While most of the oldies-but-goodies are discontinued, they worked well in the day and can still be great choices. Lots of gunsmiths know these units and can keep them in great running condition for you.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Suggestion: a <search> over in the Defensive Carry Guns can be fairly effective for getting a range of ideas, too. Try a search where Subject = pocket and Forum = Defensive Carry Guns.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    For pocket carry I really like my Smith and Wesson .380 Body Guard. There are a lot of good .380 pocket guns out there but I like either the Sig P238 or S&W BG380. See if any gun ranges around you or at least a 50 mile drive have packet guns to rent.

in a pinch, any gun is better than no gun.

the NAA revolvers are single-action revolvers. you have to cock the hammer for every shot. reloading is a VERY slow process. they are hard to shoot accurately. for carry, the hammer MUST rest in a notch between the cylinder openings. the calibers are marginal for self-defense. yes, i owned one - a .22LR with 1" barrel. my recommendation: NAA Pug, in .22Magnum.

i think you would be MUCH better off with an S&W 'J' frame, with alloy frame (about 16 ounces, which is about my maximum for pocket carry). S&W 442, 642, 638 would be my first choices. Ruger LCR another good choice. the Smiths will be much easier to find used, which you might have to do to fit your budget.

but as Ram Rod and ccw9mm have said, don't be in so much hurry that you make a bad choice. this is an important decision, which might have significant future repercussions. take enough time so that you can be fairly certain that you're making the best choice you can FOR YOU. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links