Snubby size comparison - Page 3

Snubby size comparison

This is a discussion on Snubby size comparison within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by svgheartland Brady, a buddy just bought a DW 14 2 1/2 barrel. A 686 holster should do the trick for him? Or ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Snubby size comparison

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Brady, a buddy just bought a DW 14 2 1/2 barrel. A 686 holster should do the trick for him? Or at least a likely fit?
    Yes. I currently have for it, a S&W logo holster made by Gould & Goodrich, B501 94, which is made for L frames and my Dan Wesson fits in it fine. I also have a Bucheimer B-01-389L-64 that fits great but it is difficult to find data on their number sequences to know what they were originally intended for. This G&G chart will aid you in finding a correct fit for you weapons to a G&G holster. As a very large majority of older S&W logo leather holsters were made by G&G, this should also help for when you think you've made a good find in a S&W brand holster. http://www.gouldusa.com/pdfs/Will-Fit_Chart.pdf

The model 14 is the same size as the 15. The primary difference is the 14 has a fixed rear sight, plain metal front sight blade (no color insert), and in Blued finish guns; a 'satin' blue finish instead of a bright blue one.

Addition:
    Tell your buddy to visit | The Dan Wesson Forum | The Legend Lives On… a wealth of information to be had there.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    I guess, technically, the j-frame is smaller than the lcr, but the amount just can't make a real difference.Sitting level on the topstraps and front sights: J-frame on top (like I really needed to clarify that):LCR on top:Usually people say that the j-frame is thinner,I think the lcr might win slightly:
    Nice comparison... Now stick the Tammer Grip that first came out on the LCR and the stock grip that is offered on the plain jane Smiths, then compare the two. I think you'll find the overall length is quite a bit more than the LCR sporting the CT laser grip... if you purchased your LCR with the CT already installed, then you won't find a huge difference in the length, but regardless there is a height and length difference and in the front pocket, it does make a difference.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Well, for me, CT lasers are a must - so it would be a moot point.

6 o'one, half-dozen o'the other...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks for the post...........great comparison and that's why I like my old J frame.

Thanks for the comparison photos Doc. What it tells me is that my LCR, which I bought with the CT grips, is, for all intents and purposes, the same size as the J frame. It has a better trigger as well, so I'm more than happy with it. That being said, I can see myself buying a J frame at some time in my future, to give my LCR some company.

very nice comparison and this will be very helpful

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing. Nice wheelguns,...I suddenly want an SP101

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Nice wheelguns,...I suddenly want an SP101
    Heck, as far as I can tell there are only two kinds of handgunners - those that HAVE an SP101 & those who haven't BOUGHT their SP101...yet! It's the Hum-Vee of j-frames.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
    Let me add these. .

Ruger SP101 with Hogue Monogrips
    Taurus 85CH with Pachmayr Compact grips
    S&W 442 with Crimson Trace (LG-405) grips
    I know a person needs to use +P loads sparingly with the Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite (85UL). Can a person use +P frequently with the steel model 85?

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I would go by the manual that came with the gun. I once had a Taurus 85UL but the manual went with the gun. The 85UL manual available on taurus' web site states on page 11;

para. 3) These Taurus Titanium revolvers are designed to withstand the regular use of +P jacketed ammunition. However, we do not recommend that you utilize +P lead bullet ammunition as the typically light crimp on the lead bullets could cause some of them to unseat from the case, moving forward in the chamber, and possibly blocking the cylinder’s rotation.

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/revolver_manual.pdf

I didn't notice any note on the steel frame models.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

My three snubs and a Glock 19 for size comparison
    clockwise they are Charter Arms On Duty, Taurus Poly Public Defender(it now has a longer grip than in this picture), S&W 442, Glock 19

IMG_1485sml.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links