Opinions wanted:EMP vs Ultra TLE

Opinions wanted:EMP vs Ultra TLE

This is a discussion on Opinions wanted:EMP vs Ultra TLE within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SO I was basically sold on a Kimber Ultra TLE II with laser guard. Probably will run me $1300 at my lgs. Went to my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Opinions wanted:EMP vs Ultra TLE

  1. #1
    Member Array RugerSRGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    122

    Opinions wanted:EMP vs Ultra TLE

    SO I was basically sold on a Kimber Ultra TLE II with laser guard. Probably will run me $1300 at my lgs. Went to my lgs today to check their kimber stock out and they literally had every ultra kimber model BUT what I was looking for(including ultra combat II). They can order the TLE with lg for me if I want.

    Well anyways I went home to look online for something and somehow came across the Springfield EMP. The Springfield actually impressed me and changed my whole train of thought on the kimber. The EMP comes in .40 which is nice because I already have a sr40c and reload .40. The other thing that impressed me was that it comes with THREE (quality too) mags as opposed to kimbers ONE(crappy) mag and also comes with a little slide holster and double mag holster which kimber comes with nothing of the sort. Both come with trijicon night sights.The fancy foam fit to parts case the EMP comes with is better than kimbers too but no bonus points cuz I don't really care about the case as it won't save my life lol(unless I beat someone over the head with it maybe).

    Here's what separates the two a little. The EMP doesn't come with crimson trace laser grips although I suppose I can purchase separate and throw them on. I can get the EMP for probably $1000-1100 at my lgs without laser but I can get the kimber TLE WITHOUT laser for $964. Both are same size and weight and look. Well I'm leaning toward EMP because of the .40 cal option and comes with more in the box. BUT I want you guys to sway me with your opinions on QUALITY of each of these weapons based on your experience. Fire away.


  2. #2
    Senior Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,198
    I have an 9mm EMP and the only problem I have with it is that it does not like WWB rounds. I need to send it in to SA so that they can adjust the extractor. Also FYI there are no Crimsontrace lasers currently available for the EMP. Other than that my EMP has about 500 rounds throught it and it shoots great. God Bless

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    I don't own either of the guns your listed so I can not speak to the quality of either but I would like to offer the following 3 thoughts -

    1. I think lasers on defensive pistols are over rated. I think the natural pointability of a pistol is FAR more useful than a laser.

    2. Springfield has awesome customer service. Kimber (Unless they have changed this recently) won't even look at a malfunctioning gun unless you have 500 rounds through it to break it in.

    3. Officer size 1911's are often times finicky.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  4. #4
    Member Array RugerSRGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I have an 9mm EMP and the only problem I have with it is that it does not like WWB rounds. I need to send it in to SA so that they can adjust the extractor. Also FYI there are no Crimsontrace lasers currently available for the EMP. Other than that my EMP has about 500 rounds throught it and it shoots great. God Bless
    The crimson trace 1911 compact laser grip won't fit? Kimber is a 3 inch 1911 compact that they fit on they are almost the exact same shape, size no?

  5. #5
    Member Array RugerSRGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    122
    lasers are a whole debate for another day haha. I do hear that the 3 inch 1911s do sometimes have some hiccups but I've got the 1911 fever and want a small one for carry and feel 3 inch is perfect size for carry and just sooooo darn purtttttyyyy. I'm really picky with my firearms which I know is stupid of me because it's a tool it should be how it functions not how it looks but sue me if I want it to function AND look :)

  6. #6
    Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,249
    I've had the EMP in 9mm for several yrs. you know, of course, it's not just a cut down 1911. It was designed from the ground up and shares no components with other models. I really don't carry it because I don't feel comfortable with manuel safeties. Perhaps because I'm left-handed. That being said, I will never part with it because it was love at first sight when I first saw it. The LGS owner had ordered it for herself and I was a good customer. It had just come in and she was looking at it when I came in the shop looking for another Glock. I held it and that was it. Needless to say a lot of begging and pleading was involved as at that time she had waited months for it to come in. To this day she tells me she regrets selling it as she has yet to replace it and they have gone up in price significantly since then.

  7. #7
    Member Array RugerSRGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I've had the EMP in 9mm for several yrs. you know, of course, it's not just a cut down 1911. It was designed from the ground up and shares no components with other models. I really don't carry it because I don't feel comfortable with manuel safeties. Perhaps because I'm left-handed. That being said, I will never part with it because it was love at first sight when I first saw it. The LGS owner had ordered it for herself and I was a good customer. It had just come in and she was looking at it when I came in the shop looking for another Glock. I held it and that was it. Needless to say a lot of begging and pleading was involved as at that time she had waited months for it to come in. To this day she tells me she regrets selling it as she has yet to replace it and they have gone up in price significantly since then.
    Any issues whatsoever with it? Other than not feeling comfortable carrying with the manuel safety's

  8. #8
    Member Array bgusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    396
    I vote Kimber. I have a pro carry and my mom just got a CDP ultra as her carry gun.. I am currently debating which 3" kimber model will be my carry gun as well, and I strongly vote for the kimber in a .45. I am not a huge .40 fan.. I feel it is more "snappy" than any 9 or 45 I have shot. Maybe that is just the gun I shot, but I have yet to have any big problems with Kimbers. My mom's CDP doesn't like WWB but shoots anything else flawlessly. I called Kimber quick to ask about looking at the extractor if there were any problems with any ammo other than WWB (before the 500 round break in) and they said that if I had problems after shooting any other ammo to let them know and they would send a pre-paid shipping label. From what I have heard from others too their CS has been exceptional lately.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,112
    I had a kimber and liked it, had no issues. In this case I'd go emp, I know a few locally that have them and they are great.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

    Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    The crimson trace 1911 compact laser grip won't fit? Kimber is a 3 inch 1911 compact that they fit on they are almost the exact same shape, size no?

    The EMP was designed from the ground up to fit and work with the 9mm / 40S&W cartridge and even .45 Gap but never offered. So the frame is a tad smaller than the 3inch .45 1911's. I know this as I went to a LGS and tried out the Crimsontrace for the regular 3inch compact 1911 on a EMP and while it fit, there was a little gap between the activating switch and the grip frame. I would estimate about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. Even Crimsontrace says it will not fit correctly. I hope that helps. God Bless

  11. #11
    Member Array RugerSRGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    The EMP was designed from the ground up to fit and work with the 9mm / 40S&W cartridge and even .45 Gap but never offered. So the frame is a tad smaller than the 3inch .45 1911's. I know this as I went to a LGS and tried out the Crimsontrace for the regular 3inch compact 1911 on a EMP and while it fit, there was a little gap between the activating switch and the grip frame. I would estimate about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. Even Crimsontrace says it will not fit correctly. I hope that helps. God Bless

    Thanks for the info. Glad I found that out. Is the .40 design still in that "risky" stage of being very new and problem filled?

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,792
    My $0.02 worth:

    Lasers are over-rated for combat use. For training and slow, deliberate shots, they're great confidence builders. Shoot indoors where there's gunsmoke, or outdoors when there's rain or snow, you're lighting up smoke or precipitation and not the target.

    From a reliability standpoint, I'd choose an EMP in 9 or .40 over a 3", full-size 1911. I've seen too many 1911s under 4 inches choke or suffer spring/guide rod failure to be comfortable carrying one to save my bacon.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    Thanks for the info. Glad I found that out. Is the .40 design still in that "risky" stage of being very new and problem filled?


    Either 9 or 40 EMP are fine. They have been out for a few years now. I bought mine new in 2010 and I from what I understand there was just a small percentage that had problems with WWB and sending it back to SA customer service and they just adjust the extractor, etc. and then all is good. I am just too lazy to send it back


    Here is one that gunsmith John Harrison modified for a gift for his daughter. Very very beautiful job !!! Enjoy and God Bless !!!!!!!


    PS: I have seen some other work that Mr. Harrison has performed on other people's SA EMP and other 1911 and I must say they all look excellent !!!


    Beautiful EMP.jpg

  14. #14
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,870
    I don't own either, but I did have a SA 1911 in the past. IMO a BIG plus for SA is their lifetime warranty, and their customer service.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    1,198
    Well according to these links and reports, it looks like Crimsontrace listens to their customers and is coming out with a lasergrip for the Springfield EMP !!! God Bless


    As some have stated they do not believe in lasers, but being prior Military US Army, I always believed it was better to have tools at your disposal then no tools at all when you need it. Again just my opinion. God Bless


    Twitter / CrimsonTrace: Springfield EMP owners, what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1911 emp vs ultra two tone
,
emp .40 vs kimber ultra tle ii
,
emp vs tle
,
is springfield emp good for chl test
,
kimber tle ii vs sig ultra
,

kimber ultra tle ii fancy grips

,

kimber ultrra tle test fire

,

opinions of others abot tle

,

springfield emp 40 vs kimber ultra

,
springfield emp laser
,

springfield emp vs kimber ultra

,

ultra emp springfield

Click on a term to search for related topics.