Kahr Cm9 review

Kahr Cm9 review

This is a discussion on Kahr Cm9 review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a heads up for anyone interested in the weapon: I have put 300 rounds through the weapon and I have had 8 misfeeds, 6 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Kahr Cm9 review

Unhappy Kahr Cm9 review

Just a heads up for anyone interested in the weapon:

I have put 300 rounds through the weapon and I have had 8 misfeeds, 6 over the last 200 rds(3 in two different 100 rd sessions). The misfeeds have all occurred in different magazine -I have three. I have been using Winchester 9mm NATO 124gr+P FMJ ammo(Q4318). I have cleaned the gun after each 100 rounds(each separate range time) and I donít limp wrist.

I bought this gun for concealed carry and it obviously is not dependable.

I have sent emails to Kahr and have not had a reply. Called them today and was on hold for 45 minutes with no pick up.

Don't waste your time with this second-third tier company. Your life is not worth it!

After driving me nuts every time I tried to take it down, reassemble, I sold it and have not missed it--- not for one second. I replaced it with the SCCY, CPX-1 model and am very satisfied with it: especially at under $ 300, two 10 rd. mags, and a LIFETIME warranty that follows the GUN, not the person!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    I have put 300 rounds through the weapon and I have had 8 misfeeds, 6 over the last 200 rds(3 in two different 100 rd sessions). The misfeeds have all occurred in different magazine -I have three. I have been using Winchester 9mm NATO 124gr+P FMJ ammo(Q4318). I have cleaned the gun after each 100 rounds(each separate range time) and I don’t limp wrist.
    Not all guns like all ammo. And even in a specific model, not all examples of the model are going to love one specific kind of ammo.

Keep in mind Kahr's admonition about a break-in period. Many of us have had multiple Kahrs that took way, way longer than the recommended 200rds before they began to smooth out. Myself, I've had a number of PM9's and P380's, none of which ended up flawless, despite running through numerous different magazines, numerous different types of ammo, and adhering to a decent cleaning/maintenance regimen on the guns and mags. Sold them all. Still, many people have great luck with them and swear by them.

Sorry to hear you've apparently gotten one of the intolerant lemons.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

NMB
    Not my experience at all, I have had mine for about 6 months, no failures of any kind. It gets smoother each time I take it to the range.

Probably ~500 rounds through it (not exactly a marathon, but its been solid).

The 8 round magazines are notorious for jamming. Only use the flush mags.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I've owned one for about a year now.

• My only complaint is sometimes the slide doesn't lock back on an empty magazine, other than that mine has been flawless.
    • I can't speak for CS as I've never needed to contact them.
    • I'll admit, take down\reassembly can be a bit frustrating, but not impossible. I also own a Ruger Mark III
    • Its not the most accurate gun I own, but I'll give it a pass as its a sub-compact
    • Compared to other sub-compacts (I also own a PF9, and LCP) its very comfortable to shoot.

Every company puts out some guns that are dogs, and some that are stellar, but, if you can't even get in touch with somebody at the company, THAT would really be the last straw!

I have P9 in 9mm and it is flawless for about 400 rounds so far. We will see how it work. No problem with 124 gr Gold Dot +P.
    Easts them all.
    Vodek

Yup...Kahr. Some people swear by them, and a considerable number of others swear AT them.

I've had four go through my hands. Still have one (PM9) but it now sits in the safe, replaced by my LCR.

The Kahr magazine is the gun's main weakness, IMHO. It allows too much vertical and horizontal slop in the top round. The top round needs to be held steady for reliable feeding - and the Kahr mag design cannot do that.

I've given up on pocket 9's in general, and the Kahr brand completely. I hope you find satisfaction with something else. Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Hated mine, I sold it after a few months and got a g23. Now that's a gun!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The Kahr magazine is the gun's main weakness, IMHO. It allows to much vertical and horizontal slop in the top round. The top round needs to be held steady for reliable feeding - and the Kahr mag design cannot do that.
    I've always wondered why they don't do a Glock-like magazine design. I'm with you: it might well solve 98% of their frequent feed issues.

The PM9's unrivaled ... at least in terms of size, weight, flat concealability, all in a 9mm. If they could only nix the spotty performance.

OP - I sent you a PM with the email to Kahr's Sales Manager. Hope he can help you out.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

wellllllllll, here we go again. Kahrs are not properly broken in until they have had at least two hundred rounds down range, or racking the slide about 500 times. Any failures right out of the box within the first two hundred rounds is to be expected as the gun loosens up a bit. They are built to VERY tight tolerances. If you did not read the instructions or do any research regarding this pistol before you bought it then I have no sympathy for you and really don't appreciate a gun review from someone that has no clue about Kahr pistols and proclaims them as junk. Your review serves no purpose to those that will be reading crap information and otherwise pass on one of the better concealed carry pistols on the market right now.

BTW, I have five Kahrs, and Kahr is anything but a third tier crap company.....and I have never had a failure of any kind in my Kahrs. Why? Because I read the freaking instructions and broke them in properly. If you are too impatient and so busy that you can't take the time to pay attention and save yourself the kind of range session that you obviously had, then buy a Glock. They work right out of the box....yeah, I have a few of those as well.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Uh...he is 100 rounds past the 200 round break in. 3 failures in the last 100 rounds. Calls the company, and no one answers the phone...?

Yup...must be the OP's fault.

CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    BTW, I have five Kahrs, and Kahr is anything but a third tier crap company.....and I have never had a failure of any kind in my Kahrs. Why? Because I read the freaking instructions and broke them in properly. If you are too impatient and so busy ...
    To be fair, many have had quite a lot of experience with the Kahr mouseguns and have taken pains to "properly" break them in. Some also go through many different types of ammo searching for the one that the given gun likes best. Simply following the manufacturer's instructions and break-in recommendations isn't always enough, by itself, and I'd warrant that those two steps weren't the direct and sole cause of them working in your case; just as my going far beyond the "base" recommendations with each of my five prior Kahrs didn't work in each of those cases.

EDIT: As I've said elsewhere, I believe the Kahr PM9 to be the finest platform of its kind, from a size, weight, caliber and accuracy perspective. It's why I spent nearly 5yrs trying to find one that could serve as a defensive pistol that ran flawlessly. Unfortunately in my case, I never found one of them to be reliable enough to bet my life on. Bummer, as nothing else can touch the PM9 for its primary "spec" features.
    10thmtn likes this.

Manual say break in is 200 rds.

Thanks for the sales manager linkk. Will give that a shot.

...I would just like to add that I really like the looks, size, weight, and trigger pull. With the hogue grip pull- on it feels great, not a lot of recoil. Accuracy is ok to be expected for a short barrell. Disassembly is a little tedious but not a problem for me.

Locking the slide back with the slide stop is also crap(the manual recommends this for the first round). Most importantly to me, in a life or death situation the misfeed rate is unnacceptable. I find it interesting that others have have had the same problem. Maybe it is a lemon. The answer would be for them to do their own quality assurance and put there own 300 rds through it and keep the lemons from ending up in the hands of customers.

I'm going to put 100+ more rounds through it tomorrow and give it another chance. Maybe more if someone could provide a list of the CM9's most friendly and inexpensive ammo. :-)
    Last edited by madmax; September 13th, 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: additional comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links