taurus or charter arms?

This is a discussion on taurus or charter arms? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, This is my first post. I'm in the market for snubnose revolver and don't want to break the bank. I've heard good and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: taurus or charter arms?

taurus or charter arms?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I'm in the market for snubnose revolver and don't want to break the bank. I've heard good and bad about both manufacturers. The ruger lcr and Smith's are pretty pricey in my area. How do these two gun makers stack up? Please let me know. Thank you all!!

Jim

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The both make acceptable revolvers. I carry a Taurus 605
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Both Charter and Taurus make decent revolvers. I have shot both and prefer the Charter trigger. To be honest, I would probably prefer an older Charter Off-Duty or Undercover (ca. 1980) to the newer models from either maufacturer.

Then buy a used Ruger or S&W. It's hard to wear-out a snubbie revolver. If you've heard "good and bad" about Charter Arms & Taurus (so have I) then go spend your money on a brand that has a LOT more fans than it does detractors. There are folks who'll lean one way or the other between Ruger & Smith. But it's t-o-u-g-h to find anyone who has much ground to badmouth either one. The best warranty is ALWAYS a higher grade firearm that doesn't require return trips to the factory.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I have had several Taurus 85's over the years, with no trouble out of them. My uncle owns and still carries an old Charter Arms .38 that he picked up in the mid 60's. Still runs like a champ.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've had a Taurus 85UL that broke after about 100 rds which turned me off of Taurus. I know, every brand has problems, but if I get another AFFORDABLE revolver, which I plan to, I'll go with Charter. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Then buy a used Ruger or S&W. It's hard to wear-out a snubbie revolver.
    There are a number of pre-owned, sub-$300 and -$400 examples of S&W Model 60, S&W Model 36, Ruger Service Six and Ruger Security Six revolvers around. Price-wise, these might be an option for you. Check the auction web sites (ie, GunsAmerica, GunBroker, etc).
    DanielC likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A Charter Arms Bulldog was good enough for the "Son of Sam" killer.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Charter over Taurus. But I'd prefer a used Ruger or S&W over either.
    Ram Rod and DanielC like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Welcome to the forum!
    I'm not a revolver guy even though I keep up to speed on certain things. Had some revolvers in the past .357mag/38spl
    Charter over Taurus. But I'd prefer a used Ruger or S&W over either.
    Colt even better IMO.

I had both Taurus 605 and Charter Arms Off Duty (1983) and liked the Charter Arms trigger and lockup by far. I now shoot the Ruger LCR because it is lighter and more comfortable to carry.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

I've got two Taurus 85UL and the only trouble I ever had was with the blued one with reloads because I was using magnum primers with a reduced hammer spring in the revolver.

The Taurus is a quite serviceable revolver just with out the high dollar name of S&W. That being said I have a S&W m64 and a Ruger Security Six that I much more prefer to shoot and a S&W m60 that is a nice shooter. And yes if you look around you can almost always find a older S&W for the 330-350 dollars you will spend on a Taurus or Charter Arms.
    ccw9mm likes this.

I'ld throw 3 out there .... Charter, Taurus and Rossi.

The Taurus 605 & 85 (5 shot 2"-2 1/2" brrl) have excellent reputations, as does the 617 (7 shot 2 1/2" brrl).

Charter, thru the later 70's thru 80's went "cheap" and had lots of issues. However, the company was bought out and 'quality' was one key thing they wanted to reinstitute and improved the design (mid-later 90's and on). From what I've seen, and from what I've heard.... you get a newer Charter or a very old Charter, you are probably good to go. Charter Under-cover and Bulldog their better known and used guns.

Rossi, also makes a decent and lower cost revolver.

If people want to get into the "brand " game, I've heard a lot more defects coming out of the factory at S&W than anyone over the last year. Some , very bad.

I also have a piece of junk Ruger .... that will mis-shoot a round, and Ruger says that is impossible, but concur it's doing it and have no clue why, and since they can't figure out why ... they can't fix it either. They wouldn't replace it. Now, it's one expensive paper-weight.

But, I have a GP100 that does great and I would highly recommend it. You can pick up one for a decent price.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I'ld throw 3 out there .... Charter, Taurus and Rossi.

The Taurus 605 & 85 (5 shot 2"-2 1/2" brrl) have excellent reputations, as does the 617 (7 shot 2 1/2" brrl).

Charter, thru the later 70's thru 80's went "cheap" and had lots of issues. However, the company was bought out and 'quality' was one key thing they wanted to reinstitute and improved the design (mid-later 90's and on). From what I've seen, and from what I've heard.... you get a newer Charter or a very old Charter, you are probably good to go. Charter Under-cover and Bulldog their better known and used guns.

Rossi, also makes a decent and lower cost revolver.

If people want to get into the "brand " game, I've heard a lot more defects coming out of the factory at S&W than anyone over the last year. Some , very bad.

I also have a piece of junk Ruger .... that will mis-shoot a round, and Ruger says that is impossible, but concur it's doing it and have no clue why, and since they can't figure out why ... they can't fix it either. They wouldn't replace it. Now, it's one expensive paper-weight.

But, I have a GP100 that does great and I would highly recommend it. You can pick up one for a decent price.
    Don't know how true it is, but I have heard that Rossi is better quality than Taurus, even though Rossi is now owned by Taurus.

I have owned both manufacturers snubbies, and all i can say is that i sold all my Taurus, and have a charter arms 44 special. I like my Smith J frames the best, but i think you can find a great price for a new rovolver that you mentioned. Good luck. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links