Ok, who actually carries a SP101?

This is a discussion on Ok, who actually carries a SP101? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Old School I do not carry an SP-101 every day but when I do the Side Guard Quick Clip is the way ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Ok, who actually carries a SP101?

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I do not carry an SP-101 every day but when I do the Side Guard Quick Clip is the way I go.

XS Big Dot night sites and wolff springs with Pachmayr grips make this an excellent carry rig.

I carry AIWB.

Attachment 62748Attachment 62747
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    What length barrel is that Great looking pistol?
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

My dad carries the 4" SP101. Not sure his rig but he has bad knees and back and is able to manage the weight.

Good belt and good holster pretty much negate any weight concerns. I haven't found a speedloader that will work with .357 mags on a SP-101 (cartridge is too long, hits against the cylinder release) -- although speed strips or .38 specials work fine. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck.

The SP101 is beautiful, but it's slightly in second place versus S&W's 686. That's mostly because I've shot the 686 and not the 101.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    The SP101 is beautiful, but it's slightly in second place versus S&W's 686. That's mostly because I've shot the 686 and not the 101.
    While I mostly agree with you, the 686 is pretty much the GP100 version, where I think the model 60 is the SP101 equivalent. I thinking long and hard on the 686+/GP100 as my next. I would like the 686+ in 4" because I like to do bowling pin shoot and that 7th round would be nice. :)
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Quote Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
    While I mostly agree with you, the 686 is pretty much the GP100 version, where I think the model 60 is the SP101 equivalent. I thinking long and hard on the 686+/GP100 as my next. I would like the 686+ in 4" because I like to do bowling pin shoot and that 7th round would be nice. :)
    Ah yeah you're right, I always screw up the Ruger models.

The 686+ is a good choice but it must be annoying if you're speed loading! You still get 6 shots, but not the 7th

The 4'' barrel was perfect when I shot the 686. Any more might be overkill, and any less might kick the recoil up too much. As it was the thing barely moved in my hands for .38spl and only some for .357.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsong View Post
    Good belt and good holster pretty much negate any weight concerns. I haven't found a speedloader that will work with .357 mags on a SP-101 (cartridge is too long, hits against the cylinder release) -- although speed strips or .38 specials work fine. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck.
    Try 5starfirearms.com for speed loaders that work. Have a few for my LCR and they are very nice.

rgc

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    My Wife! SP-101 in a Uncle Mikes el' cheepo pocket holster retained with velcro in purse. Purse has a composite D-ring for connecting the purse to a shopping cart, chair or desk leg. Very simpe and very effective. Secondary option, thigh holster when wearing a skirt. Bianchi 7 Shadow II Holster for casual carry - Jeans loose shirt etc.

Regards
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I't a quick run to the store gun...I got a Fobus paddle holster for it that I love...easy on and off...the right carry rig makes carrying it better.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Hi guys,

Here is my review from a few years ago.

Kev Rees Speedy Spanky Review
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

I have the SP101 with the 2 inch barrel and it's a handful shooting full load .357's.

I have a Simply Rugged OWB pancake holster (left hand) and a Remora holster for it. The Simply Rugged is a good holster but, my only complaint is the mouth is not reinforced so one handed re-holstering is difficult for me.

I sometimes carry it around my property but I feel more comfortable with more rounds available. You just never know when you're going to venture on a crowd of Zombies

I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I have a 3" SP101 also. Great handgun but I dont carry it much except when hunting or hiking I carry it in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake or a Biancie Black Widow.

When Im hunting or hiking Im always carrying a ton of stuff but its never the Ruger that weights me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I carry my SP101 every day AIWB for the last 2 years. My SP is the 2" DAO version. I have had it for abut 8 years so, it is well broken in and the action is smooth. I have installed a XS Standard Dot Night Sight and just lately Hogue Grips. I also have taken a Dremel Tool and shaped the trigger to better fit me and polished the sides of the Gun. I also carry the LCR357 as Back up. Having 10 rounds of 357 plus 3 reloads is a comfortable feeling.
    How do you like the XS Standard Dot Sight on your SP101? I had the XS Big Dot Sights installed on my 1911 Kimber and having some trouble adapting to them. Then again, my 60 year old eyes are not the same.

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    Hi, I usually carried my Ruger Snubbies during the Summer months.

High Noon Paddle:

The Ruger DAO SP101 didn't have a great trigger.

Still fun to shoot Double Tap .357 Mag loads through it!

A very sturdy choice if you don't opt for the lighter and some what more advanced LCRs.

I have that same High Noon paddle holster for my Ultra 1911. Great holster, excellent quality, however... That plastic paddle sure does a number on my hip bone after about 1/2 an hour. Rotated it to the 4 o'clock position and still is very uncomfortable.

Any ideas on how to adjust it to make it more bearable?

<the Menace>

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    What length barrel is that Great looking pistol?
    It has a 2 1/4 " barrel. Thank you for the compliment sir.

Regards,

OS
    fotomaker57 likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links