Ok, who actually carries a SP101?

This is a discussion on Ok, who actually carries a SP101? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I should have my SP101 out of layaway soon and this will be my carry gun. How do you guys carry the SP101 and does ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Ok, who actually carries a SP101?

I should have my SP101 out of layaway soon and this will be my carry gun. How do you guys carry the SP101 and does the weight bother you at all or you get used to it pretty quick. I'm thinking in a nice OWB leather holster but I want it to be high enough that a t-shirt or polo will cover it.

This SP101 will replace my CW9 which is a darn good pistol and pretty light as well but I've become a revolver guy and no one bickers about whether a .357mag is "enough". :) BTW I always have a pocket 380 on me.

Post pics in your rigs if you got em!
    ArmyCop likes this.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

i have a 3 inch sp101 and carry it alot. I use a in the waistband uncle mikes #15 holster it hinds really well even in shorts and a t-shirt. I dont mind the weight its not that bad. i dont like the over the belt holsters due to it canting outward, might need a better belt and holster to fix that, but the uncle mikes is nice and snug to my body.
    ArmyCop likes this.

I don't own one but I have shot some SP101's. They are nice revolvers. I don't think carrying one would be a problem with the right (for you) holster.
    ArmyCop likes this.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Man, those are some pretty grips.
    DandLfam likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I don't carry mine exclusively, but when I do carry it I use a Mr. Softy AIWB
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I don't always drink beer, but when I do...
    Philly Boy likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

I've been carrying a 3" around for about nine months now. A lot of people tried to talk me out of it in favor of staying with a G19, but I like the SP101 better.

I use a 1.5" gun belt and a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster around 3 o'clock, and it isn't uncomfortable at all. The weight isn't all in one spot. It does creak though. I'm happy with the setup. I'll try to get a pic up.
    ArmyCop and Flfiremedic like this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    I use a 1.5" gun belt and a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster around 3 o'clock, and it isn't uncomfortable at all. The weight isn't all in one spot. It does creak though. I'm happy with the setup. I'll try to get a pic up.
    +1 on anything made by Simply Rugged Holsters, I use the Cuda for my G19/26. At one time I had an SP101, and I regret selling it everyday. Awesome gun, just not one that was comfortable for me.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Side Guard Holsters Quick Clip - Giving it a test run for a while, only had it a couple days.

...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I did for several years before going to a Glock 19 and 26, I carried it in a pocket holster. Weight was not a real issue until I started carryiung the Glocks, they were ALOT lighter!

Mine isn't my EDC, but on the occasions I do carry it the weight isn't an issue at all. I had an OWB leather made by a member on this forum.
    Attached Images
    ArmyCop likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

When hubby and I are going out or to the city I carry my SP101 in my purse made for such a purpose. When I wear jeans or shopping without him...I have my Ruger LCP in my pocket. I keep the SP101 next to my sewing basket when in the living room and next to my bed at night. I also carry it in a "fanny pack" when out in the yard. It was my only carry for almost a decade. I still love it.
    RichB70, Bad Bob and ArmyCop like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I carry my SP101 virtually every day, usually in a HighNoon Split Decision - sometimes in a Bianchi X-15 or Galco paddle, depending on dress and occasion. If I'm wearing jeans, the watch pocket comes in handy for holding speed strip(s).
    Steve

Thanks for pics everyone, some really nice looking holsters. I'm really liking the holster posted by Bugdude, I may have to try and find one like that. I never got that comfortable IWB but I'm thinking with a right sturdy holster I could get it to work. BTW I'm also gonna stick to the original grips and just add some wood inserts or get full wood grips, those look sharp.
    Spirit51, I wish my wife was a little more like you, she keeps a LCR in the door pocket of her car but doesnt worry about keeping it on her person. I try to explain that he cant get it quickly from there and encourage her to keep it near by at all times but she doesnt for some reason. She has her CCW permit and she shoots wth me so I know shes comfortable. I guess she leaves that to me. :(
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links