Great Opportunity..What Do You Think?

This is a discussion on Great Opportunity..What Do You Think? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I recently came upon the opportunity to purchase a gently used Smith and Wesson Model 66 .357 magnum revolver. The revolver itself seems to ...

Thread: Great Opportunity..What Do You Think?

Great Opportunity..What Do You Think?

So I recently came upon the opportunity to purchase a gently used Smith and Wesson Model 66 .357 magnum revolver. The revolver itself seems to be in spectacular shape and the seller is offering a wide array of extras with it (3 good quality speedloaders, a gun belt, and a holster). He only wants 300 + shipping (25 smackers) for the whole deal.

Can anyone tell me what you think of this deal?

Should I bite and go for it?

- Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well I'll be the first to jump in..."if is seem's to be too good to be true..." I get the impression you haven't been able to inspect in person? Have you seen pictures. $300 for this weapon, especially in the shape you're reporting, is incredibly low but then I'm not an expert. others will be along shortly but It boils down to how reliable you think the seller is. I'd be nervous about such a deal from an internet stranger and a simple picture...but wow what a deal if its for real...

God Bless
    Gideon

1943 - 2009
    The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson lists the NIB price at $375.00, excellent condition price at $285.00.

Your call.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Well I'll be the first to jump in..."if is seem's to be too good to be true..." I get the impression you haven't been able to inspect in person? Have you seen pictures. $300 for this weapon, especially in the shape you're reporting, is incredibly low but then I'm not an expert. others will be along shortly but It boils down to how reliable you think the seller is. I'd be nervous about such a deal from an internet stranger and a simple picture...but wow what a deal if its for real...

God Bless
    Gideon
    Yes, I have seen pictures, and to the best of my knowledge the gun seems in excellent condition.

The seller seems trustworthy and is from my home state, he is quick to admit the few blemishes the firearm has (grips are very slightly worn and a little bit of discoloration on the inside of the cylinder). He also has a decent reputation amongst previous buyers.

Is it a gun with Pinned BBL and recessed chambers? stainless front sight with no red ramp or with red ramp? 4 in... 2 1/2 round butt...inch 6inch? Just curious.............. either way that 300.00 deal is real good..............250.00 is better though
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Fair price

The $300 price seems fair to me, and is exactly what I paid for a model 66-3 earlier this year, with a 2.5 inch barrel. I believe the barrel length, which you didn't mention, is important. The 2.5 inchers tend to go for more than the 4 or 6 inchers. And of course the condition of the gun is all important.

Model 66 I bought

VIP Member
    It would be prudent to check the weapon first. Check timing & signs of wear.

I carried a 66 for years & now my father carries it. Very good weapon.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    I did not notice a ref to barrel length or ''dash'' number so - wondering what vintage this is.

Certainly tho a check on timing and lock-up would be useful first hand if possible, but in good shape, say 95% or better then the price would be worth it, taking the extras into consideration too.

Other thing is - if seller has good rep then if you were not satisfied a return should be possible.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

"So I recently came upon the opportunity to purchase a gently used Smith and Wesson Model 66 .357 magnum revolver."

Gently used? His words or yours? Sound commercial like. LOL. Like "used butt of gun to gently drive nails into a board". Proceed with caution. I agree with another post-er, revolver timing is important.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

VIP Member
    WOW, sounds great to me. I have been offered more than that for my 66 while I was at the range.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

4" barrel

I'm not going to buy it. I can't really afford it right now as I'm being skimped out of a check by a company.

It's a great deal, but I gotta eat.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Links